PDA

View Full Version : Program helps MCI managment

thedrifter
02-10-06, 06:59 PM
Program helps MCI managment
MCB Hawaii
Story by: Lance Cpl. Edward C. deBree

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii(Feb. 10, 2006) -- Representatives from the College of Continuing Education visited Marine Corps Base Hawaii Feb. 1 and 2 to teach small-unit leaders how they can manage training and education for their Marines.

During their visit, the representatives spoke to noncommissioned officers, staff NCOs and officers at the Base Theater Feb. 1 to inform them about the MarineNet program. The following day, the representatives offered a hands-on training class on how to use the program.

MarineNet, an online-based software, allows Marine NCOs officers, staff NCOs and officers to access their Marines’ training and MCI courses. While logged onto the Web site, Marines can order MCI courses as well as have their junior Marines sit down and take a course. The tests are graded as soon as the Marine is finished.

“This program gives commanders flexibility in meeting training requirements,” said Maj. Larry D. Anderson, infrastructure officer, College of Continuing Education. “You can accomplish a lot online because it is faster than the traditional sit-down classroom environment with a stand-up instructor.”

The 45-year-old Taylorsville, N.C. native added that studies have shown that students retain the material more from online courses because a multimedia instructor is more interactive and stimulates senses more than a regular instructor.
“The mission of this program is to provide multimedia instruction to Marines anywhere, at anytime,” he said.

There are many advantages that this program has to offer to Marines, which include accessibility at the user’s convenience, 24-hour availability, and high-speed Internet connection.

Another advantage MarineNet offers is access to Marines who are deployed overseas. Marines may access MCI courses in order to have them sent straight to them instead of having them mailed to their base, then to them.

“I’m sold on the Distant Learning program,” said Anderson. “The program allowed me to achieve master’s degree in business. You can get the same quality online as you could in person. It provides flexibility with the courses when you have time to do them. You don’t have to be at a specific place at a certain time – when you don’t have the time.”

Representatives of the College of Continuing Education are currently visiting different Marine Corps bases to get the word out to Marines who can take full advantage of the system, said Anderson.

“I encourage Marines to log on and take a look at it,” he said. “There are a tremendous amount of courses that count toward college credits for the Marines and their spouses. I think that the system will sell itself to Marines once the Marines take a look at it.”

For more information on the College of Continuing Education or MarineNet, log on to www.tecom.usmc.mil/cce.

Ellie