PDA

View Full Version : Marine recalls Silver Star actions

thedrifter
02-10-06, 06:53 PM
Marine recalls Silver Star actions
MCB Hawaii
Story by: Cpl. Michelle M. Dickson

Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay(Feb. 10, 2006) --
"May eighth, two-thousand-five. That was a memorable day," said the young officer as he sat back in his chair, beginning his account of what had happened that cold, wet day in Afghanistan. This was a day that would change a few Marines' lives forever, and would earn 1st Lt. Stephen J. Boada, fire direction officer, 1st Battalion, 12th Marine Regiment, a silver star for his actions.

Boada was attached with 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, during that time, serving as a forward observer and forward air controller serving in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan.

This was a first time for the Bristol, Conn. native to be deployed to Afghanistan, but he looked forward to the experience.

"You always train for the possibility of being deployed," said Boada, "It was good to finally have the opportunity to put that training to use. Even though some of it seemed pointless at the time, there was a good reason for all of it. In what seems like a symphony of chaos, there is organization."

Boada found himself with Kilo Company, 3/3, where he took part in a multitude of successful information operations, patrols, and civil affairs; while also the coordinating of aircrafts and mortars in the area.

While moving on a five to seven day patrol operation of eastern Afghanistan, Boada and roughly thirty other Marines set out in a mounted convoy through the Alisheng Valley to hopefully gain information on people who were on a target list.

This patrol was only supposed to last during the day time hours, but this day would be different, and two of the Marines would not be coming back alive.

"We set out at approximately 0700 in a mounted convoy through the Alisheng Valley," said Boada. "As you start to come up through the valley, the road eventually ends for vehicles, so we set out on foot. We were trying to get to the end of the valley and as we went a long, would stop at villages, consulting elders about certain issues."

While getting getting closer to the end of the valley, the Icom scanners that were being used to pick up radio frequencies, began receiving radio traffic that was translated by an interpreter to be enemy forces. The forces were watching the Marines and plotting to ambush them in the valley.

"We could hear them discussing how many of us there were, and how we would never make it out alive," said Boada "So from there we set up a satellite communications antenna and called back to higher. We requested close-air support to sweep the hills but the poor weather wouldn't allow it."

The radio traffic continued as the Marines proceeded to move through the valley. They were only stopped when they heard over the radio, "They just passed us. We'll get them on the way back."

"The Marines were getting pretty amped up at that moment and we could recognize two of the voices over the radio to be cell leaders who were responsible for a police station that was rocketed just before we arrived," said Boada. "It was difficult to see anything around us though due to the mountains. We knew what area the enemy was in, but couldn't pin point anything."

At that time, 1st Lt. Sam A. Monte, platoon commander, directed a squad and a 240 Gulf team, to go southeast onto a hilltop to scan the area. In a short time, they received a call back from the squad that they had spotted ten to 12 individuals across the valley, who had automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades in their possession.

"At the same time we heard a single rifle shot, but the round didn't actually land anywhere near us," said Boada. "At that time, we couldn't tell whether it was caused by sniper fire, or whether it was possibly a signal."

The machine gun team was then directed to engage toward the enemy who was located roughly seven to 800 meters away, said Boada. The individuals then fled into a ravine up the mountainside.

"The support by fire remained on the hilltop as we decided to make our way toward the enemy," said Boada. "As we began moving into the draw, a brief fire fight broke out, but none of us were injured."

The Marines continued and crossed a river that rose up to their chests. As they began to climb up the hillside they again contacted higher, who was able to push a section of A-10 Warthogs out to the area.

"Cpl. Johnny Polander, a squadleader, was on the radio on the hilltop and he was able to let us know where the individuals were located," said Boada. "At that time Lance Cpl. Kirven, a team leader, was able to send a 203 smoke round to mark the cave that the individuals entered. We also popped smoke in ours and the SBF did the same thing, we just had different colors so the aircrafts knew the difference."

After that was complete, Boada informed the aircrafts of the situation on the ground and they proceeded to use 30 mm cannons into the enemy cave, making three or four passes with 2.75 mm rockets. After every pass, the SBF was again contacted, and they would give any adjustments that would need to be made for the aircraft fire.

"When they ran out of ammo, more A-ten warthogs came out and there were about eight or nine passes made, total," said Boada. "During that time, we could hear the enemy over the radio making exclaims such as, 'That went just by my head,' so they were indirectly helping us adjust our fire."

When the situation was under control, the Marines began their long trek up the mountainside to assess the situation and check for any enemy KIAs, said Boada.

Once reaching the caves, Boada teamed up with Sgt. Robert R. Campbell, a squad leader, and began searching the different caves with the other Marines. This was when Marines heard Lance Cpl. Nicholas C. Kirven identify a dead body. He called out and Cpl. Richard P. Schoener came down to provide security for a dead check.

"Sgt. Campbell and I were only probably twenty-five meters away when we first heard the bursts from an AK-47 and the screams," said Boada. "The squad began circling toward Kirven and Schoener who were laying on the ground, but the gunfire wouldn't stop and we couldn't tell exactly how many people were firing at us."

Most of the Marines managed to find some cover and Cpl. Chinana, a scout sniper attached to Kilo Company, had a 203 but wasn't able to fire because the weapon needed at least 30 meters to arm itself and the Marines were too close. Chinana would then attempt to mark the cave with a 203 smoke round, but the round would ricochet, and Chinana would receive a bullet frag on his scalp line and fall back.

"We really didn't have any other option at that point because the Marines were laying so close to the mouth of the cave," said Boada. "I made the call to move up closer so we could see where the fire was coming from and attempt to grab the downed Marines."

Boada popped a smoke grenade as he and Cpl. Troy Arndt, team leader, made their way to a position very close to the Marines.

"The fire was still coming as we popped more smoke and kind of leap frogged from rock to rock," said Boada. "Cpl. Arndt attempted to grab one of the Marines by the sappy plate carrier, but the gear ripped and he fell. By that time the smoke was clearing up and I grabbed him and we got to cover again."

At this point, Boada said he could reach out and touch the downed Marines because they were so close. He then grabbed a fragmentation grenade and threw it, although fire was still coming.

"I ended up repeating the process about four times," said Boada. "Cpl. Arndt would prep the grenades for me, I would shout 'Cover and fire!,' and throw the grenades. Cpl. Arndt did some amazing things out there as a young corporal, I hope he gets recognized for something."

At this time, support was being given by Campbell and his Marines while Arndt and Boada were attempting to gain the opportunity to retrieve the downed Marines.

"We had to actually shoot over Arndt's and Boada's heads to cover them," said Campbell. "I admire both of them and their bravery."

Finally, there was silence and no movement in the cave, said Boada. Another corporal made the call to search the cave, which was secure.

Several attempts were made to regain the lives of Schoener and Kirven, but the CPR was useless, said Boada. They had passed away.

"By that time, it was about 1800 and getting dark," said Boada. "We weren't prepared for a night operation and there was a lack of both food and water. We set up an LZ to try to get a a medivac for the Marines, but they couldn't send one to us because of the weather."

At this time Boada said the Marines were beginning to get frustrated with the whole situation.

"They were doing a heck of a job out there, and they had just lost two of their friends," said Boada. "After everything that happened though, they still remained focused."

It was at that time, that the Marines began to carry their fallen comrades in ponchos.

"The Marines tried to buy some donkeys to help carry the Marines but it was no use," said Boada. "They carried the Marines the whole time, about seven miles through mountainous terrain."

"What had started as a three hour patrol, ended as a twenty two hour ordeal," said Campbell. "It was the worst day of my life."

AC130 support was available and would be able to give the Marines a heads up if there were enemies up ahead. They were able to engage and neutralize 25 individuals who were setting up ambushes in two separate areas, said Boada.

"We continued to move through out the night and arrived back to our vehicles at about 04 or 05," said Boada. "The Marines really did a hell of a job out there. They weren't even my Marines but I know I couldn't have picked a better bunch."

Boada said the hardest part about the whole deployment was having to leave the Marines he was with upon returning to K-Bay, especially the Marines he was with on that fateful day.

"They were ready for anything, even Kirven and Schoener," said Boada. "Those two were great Marines."

Boada received a purple heart and a Silver Star medal for his gallant actions against the enemy while serving as a forward observer and forward air controller that day, but remains truly humbled by the experience.

"I think about what happened out there every day, and will for as long as I live," said Boada. "I think about what we could have done different. What we could have done to have those two Marines walk home with us."

Boada is now back with 1/12, but feels he should be going to Iraq with the Marines of 3/3.
"It just doesn't feel right and I regret not having the opportunity to deploy with them again," said Boada. "I try to keep in touch with all of the Marines I was with."

Campbell said he feels the award for Boada is a much deserved one.

"He is an artillery officer," said the Jackson, Tenn. native. "The things he did, he didn't have to do. He put himself in harms way and did everything he could do to try and save those two Marines. We all did everything we could do, and it was truly an honor to work with Lt. Boada."

Boada felt differently about his role in the situation when asked.

"The Marines I was with that day deserve the recognition," said Boada. "They all need to be talked about, talked about more than me, they are all amazing."

Ellie