PDA

View Full Version : Best Damn Sports Show honors Marines

thedrifter
02-10-06, 06:18 PM
Best Damn Sports Show honors Marines
MCRD San Diego
Story by Pvt. Charlie Chavez

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO (Feb. 10, 2006) -- Drill instructors and wounded Marines from the depot visited the Best Damn Sports Show Period at Fox Television Studios in Los Angeles Jan. 18.

Highlighted guests during the show included Pat Croce, former president of the Philadelphia 76ers, hockey player Jeremy Rhoenick from the Los Angeles Kings and football player Joey Porter from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“I have never been to anything like this. I didn’t know it took so much work,” said Staff Sgt. Miguel Betancourt, Company E drill instructor. “We had to clap a lot.”

Croce, Rhoenick and hosts recognized Marines and entertained the audience during the show and commercial breaks with jokes and conversation.

“It’s really good that someone is looking out for us,” said Staff Sgt. Francisco Ortega, Co. E drill instructor. “Especially the wounded Marines from Balboa.”

Marvin Winters, United Warriors Survivors Foundation’s operations officer, scheduled the visit for the Marines through host, Rob Dibble, who was helping the foundation raise money during Christmas.

“We had a lot of support from him in Long Beach, and then he asked me to bring some of the Marines who had been injured to the show. So I called the depot and scheduled for the Marines to come,” said Winters.

The hosts showed their appreciation by taking time after the show to meet Marines, shake hands and answer questions

“I absolutely love the Marines and what they do for the country,” said host Rodney Peete after the show.

Dibble had previously taken a trip to Iraq to meet many of the soldiers, sailors and Marines in combat.

“It was really awesome going to Iraq and meeting all the troops out there. I say the more support for out troops, the better,” said Dibble. “And I’m really glad that the Marines came down to do the show with us.”

The show aired on the Fox channel Jan. 18.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2006210124439/$file/02damn_sports01_lr.jpg

Depot drill instructors and wounded vets attached to the depot visited the Best Damn Sports Show Period at Fox Television Studios in Los Angeles Jan. 18. Guests included Pat Croce and NHL star Jeremy Rhoenick. Photo by: Pvt. Charlie Chavez