PDA

View Full Version : Favorite War Movie Quotes

thedrifter
11-23-02, 08:39 PM
Here are few of famous quote of War movies....

What are your favorites..........

Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning."
Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore (Robert Duvall) in Apocalypse Now

"The horror. The horror."

Col. Kurtz (Marlon Brando) in Apocalypse Now

"Release the boy.......Shoot the father!"

Colonel Hessler (Robert Shaw). Battle of the Bulge, 1965.

"One kill. Confirmed! It's a cruel world, Herr Hauptmann. You said so yourself."

Lieutenant Bruno Stachel (George Peppard) in the film The Blue Max.

"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

William Wallace (Mel Gibson) in Braveheart

"He's going to do it, believe me, he's really going to do it"

William Holden's character in The Bridge on the River Kwai.

"Hancock, I've got lunatics laughing at me from the woods. My original plan has been scuppered now that the jeeps haven't arrived. My communications are completely broken down. Do you really believe any of that can be helped by a cup of tea?"

Major General Urquhart (Sean Connery) on being offered a cup of tea by Corporal Hancock (Colin Farrell) in the film A Bridge Too Far.

"Dirt, and natural body oils, can make you waterproof"

From Cross of Iron, 1977.

"If you were in it, you knew all about it. You knew how to keep watch on filthy nights, and how to go without sleep; how to bury the dead, and how to die without wasting anyone's time"

Lt Cmdr Ericson in The Cruel Sea.

"Very pretty.....but can they fight?"

Vernon L. Pinkley (Donald Sutherland). The Dirty Dozen, 1967.

"Vodka is a luxury we have. Caviar is a luxury we have. Time is not."

Nikita Khrushchev (Bob Hoskins) in the film Enemy at the Gates

"I don't care if you've lost half your men.....lose the other half!... or lose yourself".
Nikita Khrushchev (Bob Hoskins). Enemy at the Gates, 2001.

"Today you people are no longer maggots. Today you are Marines."

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (Drill Instructor) played by R. Lee Ermey in the film Full Metal Jacket.

"Come, let us talk together now...very simply, as men."

Caesar Marcus Aurelius to General Maximus in Gladiator after the defeat of the horde in Germania.

"Well, the tank's broke, and they're trying to fix it..."

Sergeant Oddball (Donald Sutherland) in the film Kelly's Heroes.

"This is the paradox of being a good soldier: To be a good soldier you must love the army, but you must be willing to kill the thing you love."

Robert E. Lee (Martin Sheen) to James Longstreet (Tom Berenger) in Gettysburg.

"The thing that's always worried me about being one of the few is the way we keep on getting fewer."

Flight Officer David Campbell (Richard Burton) in The Longest Day

"Bob, I got a bad feeling on this one, all right? I mean I got a bad feeling! I don't think I'm gonna make it outta here!"

Sergeant O'Neill (John C. McGinley) in Platoon
"Five men is a duty opportunity. One man is a waste of ammo"

Sergeant Horvath (Tom Sizemore) to his men on the landing craft approaching Omaha Beach. Saving Private Ryan

"What the hell do we do now Sir?"

Private to Captain Miller (Tom Hanks) on Omaha Beach. Saving Private Ryan

Private: "What's the rallying point" Captain "Anywhere but here"

Private to Captain Miller (Tom Hanks) on Omaha Beach. Saving Private Ryan

"It's a goddamm firing squad."

Sergeant Horvath (Tom Sizemore) in Saving Private Ryan

"The boy's alive. We are going to send somebody to find him and we are going to get him the hell out of there."

General Marshall (Harve Presnell) in Saving Private Ryan

"What I mean, sir, is if you was to put me with this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile from Adolf Hitler... with a clean line of sight... well, pack your bags, boys. War's over."

Private Jackson (Barry Pepper) in Saving Private Ryan

"Do you wanna explain the math of this to me, what's the sense in risking eight guys to save one?"

Private Reiben (Edward Burns) in Saving Private Ryan

"War educates the senses, calls into action the will, perfects the physical constitution, brings men into such swift and close collision in critical moments that man measures man."

Corporal Upham (Jeremy Davies) quoting Emerson in Saving Private Ryan

"We're not here to do the decent thing Caparzo, we're here to follow orders!"

Capt. John Miller (Tom Hanks) to Pfc. Adrian Caparzo (Vin Diesel) in the film Saving Private Ryan, after Caparzo proposed taking a child they came across to the neighboring town so she would be safe.

"...Ryan better be worth it. He better go home and cure some disease or invent a new longer-lasting light bulb."

Captain Miller (Tom Hanks) in Saving Private Ryan

"Someday we might look back on all of this and decide saving Private Ryan was the one decent thing we were able to pull out of this whole godawful mess. Like you said, Captain, maybe we do that, we all earn the right to go home."

Sergeant Horvath (Tom Sizemore) in Saving Private Ryan

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (So Yamamura) in the film Tora! Tora! Tora!.

"Anyone of you sons of *****es calls me grandpa, I'll kill ya."

Sgt. Mj. Plummey (Sam Elliot) in the film We Were Soldiers

Private: "Why us?"
Color Sergeant: "Because were 'ere, lad, because were 'ere".

From Zulu

Sempers,

Roger

tkuhr
11-23-02, 09:30 PM
Just a cuople more:

"There it is." "geek" Hamburger Hill,
"Bro!" "Doc" Hamburger Hill,
"Fair is fair, colonel. If I slug Hawkeye and nail Hotlips, can I go home?" M*A*S*H.

wrbones
11-23-02, 11:34 PM
...would it!http://www.geocities.com/warmoviedatabase/iquote.html

ChuckC
11-27-02, 09:04 AM
"I saw a man stop running once, it took a search party to find his dogtags." T/Sgt Jim Moore (Jack Webb) The DI

firstsgtmike
11-27-02, 09:24 AM
"Remember men, don't take any prisoners". General Custer, Little Big Horn.

Barrio_rat
11-27-02, 12:22 PM
The best part of this quote was left out and I couldn't let it go. "Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morining. It smells like... Like victory!" Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore (Robert Duvall) in Apocalypse Now

Recruit: "Sir, I'm never wrong"
DI: "Never?"
Recruit: "I may not always be exactly right, sir, but I'm never wrong." The DI with Jack Webb

"Fvck gunny! This fvcking thing is fvcked up. I can't fvcking hit a fvcking thing!" Heart Break Ridge with Clint Eastwood
It was this line (among others) that promted the USMC not to endorse this film. Most every Marine at the time thought it was an accurate use of the english language. LOL

"You see Danny, I can deal with the bullets, and the bombs, and the blood. I don't want money, and I don't want medals. What I do want is for you to stand there in that faggoty white uniform and with your Harvard mouth extend me some fvcking courtesy. You gotta ask me nicely." Col. Nathan R. Jessup (Jack Nicholson) from A Few Good Men

"Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.
"You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to." Col. Nathan R. Jessup (Jack Nicholson) from A Few Good Men

Lock-n-Load
11-27-02, 04:22 PM
"TODAY, GERMANY...TOMORROW, The WORLD" SS Major: Tim Holt......Turned out to be the biggest joke of the Century!!!!:chinese: :chinese: :chinese:

virwar
11-28-02, 12:39 PM
I've always liked what Arnold said in "Predator"... " If it bleeds, it kan b killed". Dave out.

firstsgtmike
11-29-02, 05:48 AM
virwar,

I don't remember where it came from but I always liked the quote, "I don't hate women, I'm afraid of them. I'm afraid of ANY animal that bleeds one week out of every month and continues to live."

Maybe Arnold will have something to say about THAT.

virwar
11-29-02, 04:06 PM
Ahh, I'd forgotten that one First Sgt. That was a good line also, very scary because it's very true.

NEWB
11-29-02, 09:41 PM
CHAPLIN: General I see you have a bible by your bed. Do you read it.
PATTON: Yes Sir, every G**Damn night.
George C. Scott (Patton)

Pvt: They ought to cortmartial the SOB who thought this one up!!
General Bradly: Yes they should.
Carl Marldin as Omar Bradley in PATTON

Mike_2542
12-01-02, 12:02 AM
Here are two more:

"How do you shoot women & children?"

"Easy, you just don't lead them as much"

also;

"If they run they're VC, if they don't run they're well disciplined VC"

Both from FMJ

mrbsox
12-01-02, 07:21 AM
Had to think on this one awhile

One Quote, to remember for all time...

George C Scott, in the opening monologue of "PATTON", in the Gen's speech to his command:

'No poor dumb Son of a B!tch ever won a war by dying for his Country. You win wars, by making the other poor dumb Son of a B!tch dye for his Country'.

firstsgtmike
12-01-02, 07:51 AM
Mike_2542

I didn't originate it, but I DID use the line.

ADCOP, Mt. San Antonio JC, Walnut CA, 1969.

Wednesday was our uniform day, undress blues. Anti-war demonstration in the campus free-speech area.

I was going from one class to the next. The rally broke up. A girl, overwraugt by emotin challenged me.

"You brute, you monster, how could you kill innocent women and children?"

My response? "It's easy honey, depends on how fast they are running, then you just lead them by one or two clicks."

Needless to say, there was not much conversation between us after that.

My loss. She WAS a honey.