PDA

View Full Version : Moss Point, Miss., native keeps convoys safe

thedrifter
02-09-06, 08:22 AM
Moss Point, Miss., native keeps convoys safe
2nd Marine Logistics Group
Story by:Lance Cpl. Joel Abshier

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq(Feb. 7, 2006) -- There are many convoys within II Marine Expeditionary Force that travel from base to base each day in Iraq. Whether they are transporting supplies, service members or doing routine patrols, they would not operate successfully without having proper intelligence backing them up every step of the way.

Intelligence Marines like Sgt. Charley R. Smith Jr., an intelligence analyst with Combat Logistics Battalion-8, 2nd Marine Logistics Group (Forward), habitually guarantee Marines within the unit have continuous briefs and updates pertaining to convoy operations.

“I tell the Marines within my unit the threat before they leave,” the Moss Point, Miss. native said. “And if I give them incorrect information it could really be detrimental to the Marines.”

Understanding the importance of the mission, he remains focused on the job also knowing that someone is waiting for him stateside.

“My wife and daughter are home and have supported me in every way possible,” Smith explained. “My wife has sent numerous care packages and my daughter even baked cookies for my roommate and I.”

Raising his right hand at a Military Entrance Processing Station on June 25 of 1996, Smith explained he never even thought of joining any other branch of military.

“My recruiter was truthful about the Marine Corps and I knew it was better than any other service,” Smith said. “Plus the uniform looked the best.”

He made it to Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego Calif., June 10, 1997, where the beginning of his career, like many other Marines, began to take shape.
Shortly thereafter, he attended the Motor Vehicle Operators Course at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., where he learned how to maintain and operate land vehicles.

His first unit was Marine Combat Training at Camp Pendleton, Calif. This was an opportune place to hone not only his occupation, but also his basic understanding of how junior Marines conduct themselves while still in a training environment.

In time he ended up in Okinawa, Japan, where he not only re-enlisted, but also changed his military occupational specialty.

“I changed my MOS because I wanted to do more than drive vehicles on a daily basis and I also wanted a better job after retirement from the Marine Corps,” Smith explained. “My new MOS is different in many ways from my last. Most of the work now is analytical rather than physical.”

After serving more than three years overseas, he changed duty stations to be with the Marine Aircraft Group-29 at Marine Corps Air Station New River, N.C., where he noticed that the scenery changed dramatically, but not enough to keep him away.

“I would say the scenery in Okinawa is a lot nicer than MCAS New River because it is a semi-tropical island,” Smith said. “However, I would much rather be stationed in the states.”

His time stateside would prove short-lived. He was quickly deployed with his current unit to Iraq.

“This is my first time here,” he said. “When I arrived I expected worse conditions than what we have.”

With the end of this deployment in sight, Smith decided to re-enlist a second time while here.

“Other than tax-free bonuses, I wanted to re-enlist here because not many people have the chance to do it in a combat zone and that is one thing I can always remember,” Smith said. “The deployment was a really good one for me.”

If a Marine on a convoy has up-to-date information regarding anti-coalition forces, understands the dangers of possible improvised explosive devices and convoy commanders have the most recent intelligence available, then Smith knows he is doing his job well, which directly affects his attitude towards staying in the Corps.

Smith concluded, “From the moment I enlisted, I knew I wanted to be in the Marine Corps for the next twenty years.”

For additional information on the service members or event covered in this story, contact cssemnfpao@cssemnf-wiraq.usmc.mil.

Ellie