PDA

View Full Version : Sense of community moves colonel

thedrifter
02-09-06, 08:00 AM
Sense of community moves colonel
February 09,2006
CYNDI BROWN
DAILY NEWS STAFF

EDITOR’S NOTE: This is part of a series of stories profiling Onslow County’s intriguing black women of 2006. They will be honored at an awards ceremony on Feb. 11 by the Northeast Community Development Corp.

Just by virtue of the outfit she wears each day, Gail Jennings belongs to a tight-knit community.

“I think that’s real important, to have a sense of community,” said Jennings, a Marine colonel. “It comes naturally in uniform … I think it’s good when you take that type of community and extend it.”

That’s not just talk.

Jennings sat down to talk Friday while wearing her service Alphas — a uniform she donned to join her Marines earlier that day at Bell Fork Elementary School, teaching the students character education and development. The Marines also demonstrated proper handling and respect for the American flag.

“I try to get out and about as much as possible,” said Jennings, commanding officer of Camp Lejeune Headquarters and Support Battalion. “We have such a strong working relationship in the community. We reach out to events out in the community, and they also reach in to support our Marines.

“Every time we reach out to the community, we get support back ten-fold.”

Jennings, 50, and her Marines can also be found working with the Toys for Tots program, at nursing homes and in adopt-a-school opportunities.

“The Marines go out in town as often as we’re invited,” said Jennings. “If we in uniform can sort of fill in, I tell you, it helps to make a better overall community.”

Following Jennings lead, said Oliver Hill, helps to make a better person.

She is, said the Northeast Community Development Corp. director, “an example for other women” and “a great light for the African-American community.”

Jennings said she’s just doing what’s right.

“It’s all about people being the best citizens we can be … I think we help each other,” she said.

Jennings was always interested in a military career. She liked the idea of the structure service represented and, as she prepared to finish high school, the additional educational opportunities it offered.

But a counselor at her school had a brother in the Afro-American Studies department of the University of Dayton (Ohio) and worked to get Jennings there instead.

During her sophomore year, the school hosted a contact day for the military.

“I still had an interest in the military, even though I was already in college,” Jennings said.

She subsequently filled out contact information for different branches.

The Marines were the only ones who came calling, and she was commissioned in 1977 into the Corps.

“It’s been a great ride ever since,” she said.

Contact city editor Cyndi Brown at Cyndi_Brown@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 224.

Ellie