PDA

View Full Version : Kane'ohe-based sailor killed in Afghanistan

thedrifter
02-08-06, 03:15 PM
Posted at 9:32 a.m., Wednesday, February 8, 2006
Kane'ohe-based sailor killed in Afghanistan
Advertiser Staff

A Navy corpsman assigned to Hawai'i-based Marines from Kane'ohe died Monday during a patrol in Afghanistan, the Pentagon announced today.

Petty Officer 3rd Class John T. Fralish, 30, of New Kingstown, Pa., was killed when enemy forces opened fire on his unit while it patrolled northwest of Methar Lam in Laghman Province, Afghanistan.

Fralish was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, said a spokeswoman from Marine Corps Base, Hawai'i.

Rest In Peace

Ellie

royalmarine
02-08-06, 03:21 PM
My heart goes out to all Marines and Corpsmen from 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 as I had been assigned to all 3 BN's. May he rest in peace and his family will be in our prayers.

SSgt C

thedrifter
02-09-06, 08:55 AM
Posted on: Thursday, February 9, 2006
Isle-based man shot dead in Afghanistan

By Mike Gordon
Advertiser Staff Writer

A Navy hospital corpsman attached to a Marine unit at Kane'ohe was killed Monday during combat operations in Afghanistan, the Pentagon announced yesterday.

Petty Officer 3rd Class John T. Fralish, 30, of New Kingstown, Pa., died when enemy forces opened fire on his unit as it patrolled northwest of Methar Lam in Laghman province, the Pentagon said.

Fralish was the second casualty since the arrival last month of the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment from Marine Corps Base Hawai'i. About 900 Marines and sailors are on a scheduled seven-month Afghanistan deployment.

His brother, Christian Fralish, 18, said by telephone from New Kingstown yesterday that the family was notified Monday.

The Navy told the family that Fralish and his unit were on a reconnaissance mission on foot in the Gownapal Valley when they were ambushed, Christian Fralish said.

"There was small-arms fire," he said. "He was shot in the upper chest, below his right clavicle."

Fralish was taken by helicopter to Bagram Airfield where he was pronounced dead at the combat hospital, his brother said.

Fralish was not married and did not have any children, his brother said. He was the third-oldest of six brothers and sisters.

Fralish's brother said funeral plans are pending.

Family friend Chris Tiney, 21, also of New Kingstown, said Fralish was interested in cars and playing rugby.

"He liked to help people," Tiney said. "He was looking into trying to be a Navy SEAL."

Fralish joined the Navy in 2002 and reported to Hawai'i in July 2005.

The unit that Fralish was attached to was hit hard in Iraq in late 2004 and early 2005. Eight Marines from the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment were killed in a suicide car bomb attack, 26 Marines and a sailor perished in a helicopter crash, and 11 others also were killed — most of them in what has become known as the Battle of Fallujah.

Reach Mike Gordon at mgordon@honoluluadvertiser.com.

Osotogary
02-09-06, 01:42 PM
May his soul rest in eternal peace.