PDA

View Full Version : "Wants to be a Marine - Needs HELP!

lovdog
02-08-06, 12:14 PM
There was a post in the Poolee section on 1/31/06 , re: "Hearing Problem" regarding a young man that wants to enter the Corps but was turned down because his right ear only has about 50% hearing ability. Maybe someone out there has run into a partial disability problem that was waived to join the Corps?? It has been 35 years since I was in so I'm totally lost about what this "new Marine Corps" has in changed rules & regulations. If this was in Viet Nam times, he probably would have no problem with getting in, but nowadays it is so different. Money & power move mountains in the "real" world and sometimes it takes some clout to get to where you want to be in life. Unfortunately, I have not much of either!! And I don't know the Commandant or even the MC Sgt. Major!!
Apparently this young man wants to be in the Corps more than anything - a family tradition as I understand. I have contacted the Drifter on this also to see if this avenue of approach may prove fruitful. Anyone else have any ideas? I'm sure this young man would be appreciative to any person that may have "any" insight on his gaining his ulitmate goal. I gave him my two cents - but so far, the stone walls are closing in. Sounds like the recruiter gave up on him too - surely there is something that can be done. Once your in, they make allowances to keep you reagarding a disability, but not on entry!! May take some legal help, I don't know!! Hate to see anyone miss out on boot camp - especially when they actually "want" to go!!! With all of this "intelligencia" out there someone must have a solution to this dilemma!!! Goes by the handle "Kildars"!!

kentmitchell
02-08-06, 03:09 PM
Sounds simple. If you can't hear, you can't be a Marine.
Fifty percent means half your hearing is gone. Might sound ruthless but a good grunt needs all his senses.

lovdog
02-08-06, 04:19 PM
Kent: I hear what your saying and I know this is the probably the rule of thumb here. But, as I recall - way back when - you got a physical to enter the Marines & got one when you got out - other than that it was shots and usually sent you on your way. Once your in and your MOS is jets or artillery - you know that your hearing will be affected tremendously by the time your tour is up, I know mine was. I didn't even get a hearing test when I left, just the physical, and I'm paying for it now, just like alot of guys. One of my friends, Ron, that runs the trucking in the Fireworks plant across town was a Marine in Viet Nam in artillery - his hearing on high pitched sounds is now non-existant! All I'm saying is I'm sure that dispensations are made for certain physical ailments - like wearing glasses - if some recruits lost their glasses would not they be at risk to themselves or the rest of the platoon? Same difference as I see it. I know there has to be standards - but there should also be places for recruits that volunteer to be Marines to be used somewhere in the Fleet?? Why cast a good man aside because he doesn't quite measure up to overall "Marine" standards or may be borderline?? If you can hear your mom call you for dinner 8 blocks away - I say thats good enough!! SF

hrscowboy
02-08-06, 08:24 PM
I see no problem with letting this young man in the Marine Corps but in a field like administration (paper Work) disbursing, supply, even officers drivers, but to let this young man in the field as a grunt i would see where there could be a problem.. I agree there should be other jobs for young people like this young man that he could step into and still be proud as hell of being a Marine...

Kildars
02-13-06, 04:52 PM
I appreciate your concern and support you guys.

To the guy who said, you can't hear, you can't join. My left ear works fine, it is only my right ear that is giving me trouble, and unless I was to tell you or you look @ one of my hearing test, you wouldn't know I had a hearing problem. I've had this since birth and have adapted.

If anyone does know anything I can do, or backdoor, it would be much appreciated. As lovdog said, it is a family tradition and my best friend joined the corps. I understand that I wouldn't be able to be on the front lines, and I wouldn't want to. I'm not attempting to join to put my other marines in danger. I could sit at a computer or something and order troops, or I don't know :-p.

Again, I thank you all for your support in this matter, and hope that it can be resolved with a positive outcome.

Just for reference, my other post can be viewed here;
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=155195#post155195

Thanks again,
Jordon

scopekill27
02-13-06, 05:56 PM
Kid you have heart, and that goes a long way in the Marines.......................

Wish there was more young men like yourself to give us a hand out there, best of luck to you on your mission to join.

Always Faithful,

Sgt. Hood

Kildars
03-08-06, 10:04 PM
So I have decided to go see a hearing doctor within a few days, get a hearing test and have him write a letter of reccomendation or something. Then I will re submit my waiver and hopefully get in this time.

I know I have asked a lot of you guys, but I have something else I would like. Could everyone that's read, or posted here, talked with me or anything. Former/current/future marines write a letter to the navy doctors that review waivers? I will staple all the letters I get to the waiver request form when it gets sent out. Hopefully all this influence will help them say Yes.

At the bottom of your letter if you could include contact information (i.e. name/number/ and addy if your comfortable) So they dont think I wrote all of them. Also, if you're a former/current marine. Put your rank and unit or something.

I thank you all for your concern and effort in trying to help me. I hope this turns out positive. For anyone who was going to talk to someone for me, please continue to talk to them, and look for ways, this may not work.

You can email any letters that you want to be stapled/sent with the waiver to JordonTriggs@gmail.com

Thank you so much,

Jordon.

greensideout
03-08-06, 10:37 PM
Kildars, The military does not want to take on a problem at the get-go. In boot our Guide-On was washed out because he had a plate in his knee. He somehow made it that far but the medical records cought up with him. He was doing everything that every other recruit was doing BUT he came with a problem---he was gone. The way it is.

Look at your other options in life, there are many. Find the one that works for you and go after it with the same zeal that you persued to become a Marine.

I wish you the best and remember that for every door that closes there are hundreds that you can open.