PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Marines forge newest warriors

thedrifter
02-07-06, 10:04 AM
Aviation Marines forge newest warriors
MCAS New River
Story by Lance Cpl. Brandon M. Gale

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER, N.C. (Feb. 7, 2006) -- Teaching young Marines the skills necessary to survive in combat is a great responsibility, and two combat instructors with aviation backgrounds are proving they’re up to the task.

Gunnery Sgt. Samuel G. Leonard, Company E, Marine Combat Training Battalion company gunnery sergeant, and Staff Sgt. Curtis L. Ratliff, 4th platoon, Company E platoon commander, both had military occupational specialties that kept them on flightlines around the world; Leonard as a CH-53E “Super Stallion” avionics technician and Ratliff as an F-18 “Hornet” eye-level maintenance technician.

When the time came to choose a “B” billet, both men felt they could make an important impact as combat instructors.

“It was more appealing to me,” said Ratliff, a native of Flat Rock, Mich. “I couldn’t picture myself being a recruiter and I knew a lot of drill instructors from my time in Beaufort (S.C.). After talking to them, I realized being a combat instructor is the billet that suited me best.”

Leonard and Ratliff have been assigned to MCT Bn. for 20 and 22 months respectively, and both have impressed their fellow Marines with their knowledge and leadership abilities.

According to Sgt. John A. Wallace, Company E combat instructor, Ratliff’s aviation
MOS hasn’t prevented him from excelling as an instructor and platoon commander.

“He’s shown that having an infantry MOS isn’t as important here as taking time to learn the skills and then understanding the best way to teach them,” Wallace said. “He’s done a great job and I enjoy working with him.”

There are unique challenges in transitioning from the flightline to the field, said Leonard.

“The people coming from the air wing have to learn many of the basics all over again,” he said. “This stuff isn’t second nature to us like it is to the infantry Marines. We constantly have to educate ourselves on the changes and updates.”

The two men also said they understand the importance of teaching the MCT curriculum to non-infantry students who could soon be deployed to combat zones around the world.

“With what’s going on in the world today, they need to understand that this information is vitally important to keeping themselves and their buddies alive,” said Leonard. “They will use these skills in addition to their MOS skills. They can’t learn them and forget them because they have real-world relevance now.”

“It’s a tremendous weight on our shoulders,” added Ratliff. “We can’t stress it enough; this might be the last time they get this type of training before they go to Iraq, so we all take it very seriously.”

The combat instructor billet can be rewarding for Marines looking to advance their careers, as long as they are prepared for the challenge, said Ratliff.

“It’s great for anyone who wants to be a positive influence on young Marines” he
said. “It’s hard work and long hours, but it’s a chance to really give something back. I
get to meet the future of the Marine Corps everyday.”