PDA

View Full Version : War Dogs come back from Iraq, return to new lives

thedrifter
02-06-06, 02:26 PM
War Dogs come back from Iraq, return to new lives
MCAGCC
Story by Lance Cpl. Michael S. Cifuentes

MARINE CORPS AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif. (Jan. 29, 2006) -- The Combat Center’s Victory Field was filled with high spirits Sunday afternoon when the families and friends of 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, gathered to greet their returning heroes.

The celebration called for balloons, ribbons, flags, cheering, banners and posters that read, “Welcome home”.

Most of the excitement came from wives and parents. Friends and other Marines with the battalion who returned a month earlier also shared in the excitement. But, certain loved ones could not express their joy like others because many were new born babies.

In July 2005, more than 700 Marines and sailors from 2/7 departed the Combat Center to support the ongoing global war on terrorism. Along with their loved ones, some of the service members left behind a new life, which later became a new member to their families.

Jennifer Shultz waited seven months for her dream to come true, she said. Shultz, along with a 4-month-old new family member, waited anxiously for the battalion’s buses to arrive.

“The deployment was really hard for me because I was pregnant for most of the time,” said Shultz before her husband returned. “After the birth, it was hard for me to recover without my husband. He couldn’t call much during the beginning of the deployment but then he was able to call more and more toward the end. I’m so excited to see him. I’m even more excited for him to see his son for the first time. The truth hasn’t hit me yet. The day I’ve been waiting for is here and it doesn’t seem real. It seems like I’m still dreaming.”

The battalion arrived at Victory Field at 3 p.m. and were greeted by a large mass of excited family members. Many overwhelmed family members couldn’t hold in their tears as they reunited with their Marine or sailor.

For Lance Cpl. Eli L. Shultz, a mortarman with Golf Company, his return home was more enjoyable when he met his 4-week-old, baby boy, Evan, along with his wife.

Cpl. Benjamin D. Vaughn, a mortarman with Golf Co., also came home to a grand, yet small, enjoyment.

Four-month-old Benjamin Vaughn Jr., and his mother Caitlin, awaited their returning Marine Sunday afternoon also.

“It was very hard for me knowing that I couldn’t be there for her troubles when she was pregnant,” said Cpl. Vaughn. “I know she missed me and I’m glad she and my son were OK. Being with them now feels amazing. I feel like a dad for the first time. I was very excited to come home but I was much more anxious to see my son and wife the most.”

Vaughn’s wife shared the feeling.

“It was nerve wrecking knowing he was out there,” she said. “I’m glad this day came. I just couldn’t wait for them to meet. As for now, I plan to spend a lot of time together — just the three of us. We are going to go home and do a lot of catching up.”

This was the battalion’s second combat deployment to Iraq.

The rest of the battalion returned to the Combat Center Monday.