PDA

View Full Version : Local man reflects on diverse career

thedrifter
02-06-06, 07:37 AM
Local man reflects on diverse career
By MARVINE SUGG/Lifestyles Editor

From a cameraman and floor director of the television program, “Romper Room,” in the 1960s to serving as prop manager for the Bozo Show, James Deweese has met many celebrities and earned numerous awards.

“I talked with the families and played games with the kids on the Bozo Show,” he recalled.

As Bozo, he also made public appearances at Big K and Roses department stores, played both Bozo and Santa at Nashville’s Harding Mall and participated in Nashville Christmas parades.

While working as a cameraman for Channel 2 (ABC) and later the Nashville Network, Deweese had a lot of exposure to many country music and Hollywood stars.

He recalled meeting and working with such country music stars as the legendary Patsy Cline, Hank Snow, Cowboy Copas, Willie Nelson and Ernest Tubb as well as working two years with the British singer, Tom Jones.

Deweese also worked with such rockabilly stars as Jerry Lee Lewis, Jackie Wilson, Little Richard, Billy Ed Wheeler and The Diamonds.

“I met Jerry Reed while doing the Stu Phillips Show and played golf with him at Henry Horton State Park,” he recalled. “I worked with him two years before he went to California. After the Stu Phillips Show, I had nine weeks of vacation, and I started freelancing.”

He became acquainted with the camera crew at the Grand Ole Opry and went on the road with “Nashville on the Road,” where he worked with Jim Ed Brown, Helen Cornelius and Jerry Clower. His on-the-road travels took him across the United States and to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, Canada.

In the 1980s, he was offered a job as camera crew chief with the Nashville Network. In this position, he worked with the Roy Rogers and Gene Autry shows, “Hee Haw,” the Mickey Mouse Traveling Club and the Jimmy Dean Show, where he met Jim Henson and his dog Ralph.

Deweese was the cameraman for the 1991 Miss Tennessee Pageant in Jackson, traveled to Lima, Peru, for the Miss Universe Pageant and to Washington, D.C., for the Johnny Cash Show at the Kennedy Center. He manned the camera for “Farm Aid” in Champaign, Ill., with Willie Nelson, the Country Music Awards show three years, Cavalcade of Sports and Monday Night Football with Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford and Don Meredith.

In 1986, Deweese won the Monitor Award — the Best Camera Award for Sports.

Throughout his illustrious career, he also worked with Elvis, Robert Duvall, Clark Productions, the Stamps Quartet and the Jordannaires.

“My pride and joy,” he said, “was the show I did with Lucille Ball titled ‘Lucy Comes to Nashville.’ I talked with her and gave her my address to send autographed photos for my sons. I thought I would probably never hear from her, but a few days later I received the pictures.”

When Deweese left Channel 2, he received a portrait of himself done by an artist at the station and signed by many of the Channel 2 staff. The caption said, “If yer lookin’ for a few good men — you got him.”

Born in Columbia, Deweese attended the old Andrews School. After his mother’s death in 1950, his dad took a job in Michigan and moved the family there.

Military Career

Deweese joined the U.S. Marines in 1955 and spent 40 years serving his country, retiring in 1997.

After receiving basic training in San Diego, he was sent to Camp Pendleton for combat training. While home on leave and staying at the Randall Hotel, he met his future wife, Rachel Walker, who was there with a church group.

“We started corresponding and married in December 1959,” he recalled.

After six months’ training with a Heavy Artillery Rocket Battery, he was sent to Vietnam for a tour of duty.

Upon returning to the states, Deweese came off active duty and was sent to Camp Lejeune, N.C.

“I had one year left on my enlistment, so I enlisted for six more years.”

During this time, he was a drill instructor at Paris Island, attended Embassy School in Washington and Quantico, Va., and was assigned to the U.S. Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, where he served one and one-half years. Upon returning to his old unit at Camp Lejeune, he was promoted to Sgt. E5.

At this time, he had given 25 years to his country. He immediately went into the Reserve program where he served 15 more years, completely retiring in 1997 as battalion sergeant major.

Deweese worked as a house technician at Maury Regional Hospital from 1993-2002. He is currently the crossing guard at Riverside Elementary School.

Deweese suffered a bout with cancer but has been cancer-free for 11 years.

He describes himself as humorous and a people person.

“I feel good, and I try to be nice to everyone,” he said. “If they won’t let me, I leave them alone. I’m a very positive person, and I can’t stand for someone to be mad.

The 68-year-old said he has no plans to retire.

“I love kids and the job at Riverside is a perfect fit,” he added. “I have always told my children, ‘there is nothing you can’t do if you apply your mind to it.’”

Deweese has three sons — Mark of Brentwood, Jamie and Bryan (Angie) of Columbia. He has two grandchildren, Destiny and Dylan.