PDA

View Full Version : The Ten Commandments, R.I.P.

thedrifter
02-05-06, 08:58 AM
The Ten Commandments, R.I.P.
Townhall.com ^ | 2/5/2006 | Samuel R. Lewis

Not since Moses smashed the original tablets on Mount Sinai have the Ten Commandments fallen on such hard times; the Decalogue is as welcome today in a public school classroom as former Chief Justice Roy Moore at an ACLU picnic.

Deemed insensitive to Buddhists and Zoroastrians, insulting to atheists, offensive to secularists, and irrelevant to the irreligious, the Ten Commandments have been declared by several American legal tribunals to be harmful when viewed in the public light.

With a run of more than three millennia, perhaps it's time to retire the Big Ten and agree on a more universal, up-to-date, gender- and culture-neutral set of principles suitably kosher for the classroom, courtroom, and boardroom. Negotiating the narrow straits of political correctness is no simple task, but because "commandment" sounds so high and mighty, so paternalistic, so ... Charlton Heston, employing a more comforting title was the first easy step.

Herewith, my modest proposal (which follows, in sequence, each old commandment and a comment or two):

Ten Suggestions for Ethical Living in the New Age

1. I am the Lord thy god, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

2. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me. Well, the problem here is obvious—No. 1 isn't a commandment; it's a set-up for No. 2. Considered together, the point is unambiguously one of extreme exclusivity — a particularly hard sell in the 21st century. Sure, slavery's a bummer, but No. 2 shows a remarkable lack of sensitivity to the billions of other people on the globe who trod down diverse spiritual paths. What about Buddha, Vishnu, and Mother Nature? If we're to achieve global peace and understanding, we need less prima donna and more inclusiveness. Here's a kinder, gentler way to begin: Respecting everyone and everything, embrace diversity. There is no one answer, so be true to yourself and tolerant of all.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. This is so Taliban. What's important are the names we use to describe each other. First world, third world — we all live in the same world. We have to learn how to get along and step one is not being so judgmental. Acknowledging the inherent value in a variety of traditions suggests the following: Share your cultural heritage; shed your cultural bias.

4. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. Taking a day off from work to shop, or to shoot hoops, or to wash the hybrid, or just sleep in, is a nice idea, but, hey, should it really be one of the Top Ten — and why only one day? Here's an idea that's 24/7: Demonstrate compassion for all living things.

5. Honor thy father and thy mother. Not bad, as far as it goes, but since when are parents always right — or the parent-child relationship a one-way street? A slight adjustment will do: Parents and children should be respectful of each other's space.

6. Thou shalt not murder. Well, duh. But still, we do it all the time. And I don't mean confusing fetuses with people. From political assassinations to "collaterally-damaged" Iraqi civilians to the victims of Big Tobacco to prisoners on death row, people are killed every day. Still, there are nuances. Why shouldn't cancer patients be permitted to enable their own death with dignity? Whose fault is it when people around the globe are so oppressed by Western culture that they understandably lash out in justifiable violence? A bit of fine-tuning is all that's needed: Do not kill any person anywhere without his or her express or implied consent.

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. The use of Victorian terms is so unappealing, and here, so lacking in understanding. What if your significant other is freezing you out? Or in a coma? Or always gone on long business trips to Europe without you and too tired to do it upon his or her return? What about the concept of "no harm, no foul"? What if you're caught in a dead-end relationship? Some accommodation to the dynamics of 21st century relationships would be helpful: Be honest in and out of love.

8. Thou shalt not steal. An excellent directive that's violated every day. By using more than 25% of the world's oil with less than 5% of the world's population, America steals resources on a global level. Then the oil companies gouge at the pumps and steal from the people. Corporate executives steal from their shareholders and then lay-off their employees when the bad news hits the street. Our identities are stolen because credit companies use the equivalent of a tin padlock to protect them. And on and on. So, let's shout it from the rooftops: Stop stealing.

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. Really, how often does this come up?

10. Thou shalt not covet anything that belongs to thy neighbor.

Numbers 9 and 10 are another two-fer. Because borrowing stuff from your neighbor is a long-standing tradition, I propose covering them both in one: Always return your neighbor's lawn mower with a full tank of gas.

Which leaves room for a whole new — and healthier — Number 10: Please refrain from smoking.

..........THE TEN COMMANDMENTS...............
1. I am the Lord thy god, who brought thee out of the
land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
2. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.
5. Honor thy father and thy mother.
6. Thou shalt not murder.
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
8. Thou shalt not steal.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
10. Thou shalt not covet anything that belongs to thy neighbor.

There...If anyone is unaware of them or has forgotten, here they are...