PDA

View Full Version : 8th ESB Marine shares running, Marine Corps experiences

thedrifter
02-05-06, 07:43 AM
8th ESB Marine shares running, Marine Corps experiences
2nd Marine Logistics Group
Story by Lance Cpl. Joel Abshier

CAMP TAQADDUM, Iraq (Feb. 5, 2006) -- Staying determined throughout a deployment can often challenge service members. Maintaining a sense of normalcy in the face of continuous stress and days of repetitiveness while separated from family and friends can sometimes make a goal seem unachievable.

However, Marines like 1st Lt. Shanelle A. Porter, adjutant for 8th Engineer Support Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group (Forward), continues to strive daily understanding the importance of dedication through training and hard work.

Being the senior administrative advisor to the battalion, Porter routinely takes care of the tracking, processing and reviewing of fitness reports, awards, correspondence, files and directives, postal affairs, and legal administration. She also has other collateral duties such as being the public affairs liaison and the editor for her battalion’s newsletter.

The Denver native manages her career in the Corps and her true passion of short distance running no matter where she travels.

Her main event was the 400-meter sprint with a top time of 50.67 seconds. She also ran the 100 in 11.6 seconds, the 200 in 23.2 seconds and also the 800 in 2:06.

“I started running my freshman year of high school,” Porter said. “My sophomore year was the first time I actually began formal training for track.”

It wasn’t until she was attending the University of Nebraska that she decided to try out for the Olympics.

To participate in the Olympics, every individual must meet the minimum standard time or distance established by the U.S.A. Track and Field Association for that year to compete in the Olympic Trials.

“The standard is set very high and it usually comes down to at least the top 30 athletes in the U.S. for any given event,” Porter explained. “The top three finishers go on to the Olympics.”

For the 100 and 400 competition, the committee takes the top six to eight finishers to make up either the 100 or 400 relay teams. The U.S. is known for having some of the strongest relay teams in the world, according to Porter.

“In 1992, my coach Steve Rainbolt wanted me to gain some experience at high-level meets, such as going to the Olympic tryouts, with professional runners,” Porter said. “After that in 1996 and 2000, it was about achieving my goals of winning at one of the highest levels of track, which is the Olympics. I wanted to be the best, and in my mind, the Olympics were where you could prove that.”

Porter has had sponsors such as US West Communications, Nike and Mizuno, whom have helped pave the road to the Olympics for Porter.

In her first two attempts for the Olympic team, she was only one person away from qualifying for the final round. Her final shot in 2000, she went through the tryouts injured.

“It was a miracle that I raced as well as I did that day,” Porter admitted. “I placed second in the first round, but last in the second round. That year, I was in the best shape of my life, but I wasn’t ready on game day.”

Although she never qualified for an official Olympic race, Porter has a significant list of track achievements such as 13-time National Colligate Athletic Association Division I All-American, two-time NCAA Division I national champion, NCAA Division I record holder in the outdoor 400 relay, American record holder in the indoor 400 relay and also an eight-time Big Eight Conference champion.

She never made it to the Olympics; however, her experiences in track have helped her a lot in the military.

“I was easily able to adapt to the military lifestyle because good Marines are no different than world class athletes,” Porter said. “Blood, sweat, tears, avid study, knowing ourselves and knowing our enemy are just a few similarities between a Marine and an athlete when it comes to defeating your opponent.”

For more information concerning Porter’s professional track record, visit the U.S.A. Track and Field Web site at www.usatf.org/athletes/bi...anelle.asp