PDA

View Full Version : New hires bolster Mansfield police force

thedrifter
02-05-06, 06:38 AM
New hires bolster Mansfield police force
Five new officers, one reserve officer welcomed in ceremony

By Mark Caudill
News Journal

MANSFIELD -- Patrick Williams had to serve his country before he could serve the city.

Williams, one of five new police officers sworn in Friday, finished a seven-month tour in Iraq with the Marines recently. The city had wanted to hire him before Friday.

"Patrick came to us the long way around," Service-Safety Director Ron Kreuter said.

Proud family members, many with cameras, formed a perimeter around Mayor Lydia Reid's ninth-floor conference room, the city's skyline in the background, to welcome the five new recruits.

"We haven't had a lot of backup people for a while," Reid said of budget constraints that had limited hiring.

A Mansfield native, Williams described his tour of duty.

"It's the most basic life," he said. "You only have the things you need, which makes it simple. It was a different experience."

Williams has previous law enforcement experience, serving more than three years with the Crestline Police Department.

Jacob Rietschlin is another officer who's leaving Crestline for a bigger city. He worked in Crestline for five years.

"I'm looking for a lot more activity and a lot more fun," he said.

Don Rhinehart, a Mansfield native, is another veteran police officer making a change. He worked for six years at the Bellville Police Department and attended Mansfield Senior High School before graduating from Ontario High School.

"This is where I grew up," Rhinehart said.

Toneli Webb didn't have far to go to join the police department. He has been a corrections officer at the city jail for more than two years.

Chief Phil Messer made reference to Webb's imposing size in introducing him.

"He's big enough to whip a bear with a switch," Messer said.

Webb played college football at Ohio Northern University. He's dropped 70 pounds in the last seven months to get ready for this job.

Terry Rogers is returning to law enforcement after a five-year break. He previously served the Ashland Police and Ashland County Sheriff's departments before working construction. Because of his time away from law enforcement, Rogers has to attend the police academy again.

"My wife thinks I'm nuts," he said. "She says, 'You're old.'"

Kreuter also swore in Adrian Ackerman as a reserve officer. She hopes to join the police force in the future.

mcaudill@nncogannett.com 419-521-7219

Originally published February 4, 2006