PDA

View Full Version : Beacon of patriotism

thedrifter
02-04-06, 01:35 PM
'Gallant fiber'
Beacon of patriotism
By Ralph Zahorik
STAFF WRITER

GURNEE — Gurnee should be proud it has one of the first memorials to veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Marine Maj. Rob Weiler, told a crowd of about 200 people gathered Friday night to watch the illumination of the memorial's flags and remember three young men of "gallant fiber" killed in the Mideast.

One of the men, Marine Lance Cpl. Sean Maher, 19, of Gurnee, died Feb. 2, 2005, just over a year ago.

The other sons of Gurnee families killed in combat overseas were Marine Pfc. Geoffrey Morris, 19, who died April 4, 2004, and Army Spec. Wesley Wells, 21, of Libertyville, who was killed Sept. 20, 2004, in Afghanistan.

Weiler was Morris' company commander in Iraq and arrived here recently to take command of the Marine Corps unit attached to a Marine Reserve unit based in Waukegan — Weapons Company of the 2nd Battalion, 24th Marine Regiment.

The Vietnam veterans memorial in Washington was built a decade after the war, he noted. "Here in Gurnee you've already done a great deal to demonstrate how much we appreciate the freedom for which our boys and their families have paid," he said.

Dan Maher, Sean Maher's father, recalled his son's love of life and plans to go to college to become an architect.

Also speaking at the ceremony was state Sen. Adeline Geo-Karis, R-Zion, a World War II Navy veteran. "These men gave their lives for you and I," she said. "Freedom does not come cheap."

Weiler formerly was with the 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, Morris' unit. "I had the honor of leading some spectacular Marines like Geoffrey Morris and fought on the same ground where Sean Maher selflessly gave his life for his country," he said.

Weiler said his welcome in Lake County has been "extraordinary and surprising."

"I was having dinner with my family and when a gentleman recognized me as a Marine, he insisted on paying for our dinner," he said. "The same week, several new neighbors thanked me for serving our country ... I began to realize that this community is much different than other places my family and I have lived."

Weiler said it "is no surprise that Gurnee produced men with gallant fiber like Sean Maher, Geoffrey Morris and Wesley Wells."

Waukegan-based Weapons Company went to Iraq in 2004 with their battalion and returned last April. A dozen other members of the unit are preparing now to go overseas, Weiler said.

Allen Lynch, a Vietnam War Medal of Honor recipient from Gurnee, was scheduled to take part in the ceremony but was called away to Washington, said Mike Decker, commandant of Marine Corps League Detachment 801, who filled in for Lynch.

The Heroes of Freedom Memorial is on a 1.6-acre tract that formerly was the site of the Gurnee Police Station at 4580 Old Grand Avenue.

Aldridge Electric Co. in Libertyville is donating $30,000 in labor and materials for the installation of lights at the memorial, said Kirk Morris of Gurnee, Sean Maher's father. Aldridge employee Brian Weir of Gurnee coached football

Other contributors include Toll Brothers and J.J. Henderson, a construction company, he said.

Morris said about $100,000, largely through in-kind donations, has been raised for construction of the Memorial Park.

Donations may be made to the Pfc. Geoffrey Morris Foundation at Fifth Third Bank or at Community Trust Credit Union or its branches.

The park and memorial, called Heroes of Freedom Memorial, is dedicated to "all men and women who have honorably served or lost their lives while serving, in the armed forces ... during the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns in the War on Terror."

02/04/06

Ellie