PDA

View Full Version : New recruits receive intense welcome, lose hair in first night here

thedrifter
02-04-06, 07:42 AM
New recruits receive intense welcome, lose hair in first night here
MCRD San Diego
Story by:Pvt. Charlie Chavez

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO(Feb. 3, 2006) -- One hundred recruits anxiously stood in four lines waiting for the arrival of 20 others before receiving passage to Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego to begin their training.

The new recruits began their journey at the San Diego International Airport at Lindberg Field in the United Services Organization, where they waited for a bus to boot camp.

Upon arrival at the yellow footprints, drill instructors rushed the recruits off the buses and lined them up for briefing on proper etiquette during recruit training and important articles of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

“Most of the recruits are pretty locked on to what they need to do by their recruiters,” said Gunnery Sgt. Timothy G. Walker, chief drill instructor, night operations. “But they always have stuff they’re not supposed to. That’s why they are searched.”

After a motivating introduction at the yellow footprints, the recruits rushed into Martini Hall, where drill instructors searched for contraband such as cell phones and non-religious jewelry or books.

The contraband search took about 45 minutes, and it ensured that all prohibited items were either discarded or put into envelopes with the recruits’ name on them, according to Walker.

Many of the recruits’ deepest fears and concerns became a reality by the actions of the surly drill instructors.

“The recruiter who put me in said it was going to be tough and to do exactly what is told,” said John M. Williams from Chicago as he stopped after sprinting down the hall.

“He also said running would be a really big part, especially for heavy-set people,” said Williams.

Recruits began to feel the mixed emotions of excitement, confusion and nervousness from the adrenaline-filled voices of the drill instructors.

“I’m really nervous,” said new recruit John R. Hicks as he stood directing recruits to their next stop. “I can only think that it is going to get a little bit harder a little bit later, but I hope I’m ready.”

The recruits continued the evening by getting dressed into combat utility bottoms and military issued clothing. They stayed awake, fighting off fatigue, throughout the night as they checked in through the Recruit Administration Branch.

“The Marine Corps is the best, so the intense training is only making me realize my good choice,” said recruit Jacob L. Meyers.

The next few days of recruit training were reserved for medical, dental and administrative processing until the infamous first Friday – when recruits meet their company drill instructors, and the real training begins.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200623165131/$file/04boots03_lr.jpg

Pvt. Josiah Gulke from Marysville, Wash., was one of the first new recruits from Platoon 2070 to get his head shaved by barber Frank Sardina here. Recruits get their heads shaved in training to ensure cleanliness. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Dorian Gardner

lovdog
02-04-06, 08:30 AM
You know, those San Diego Marines are a bunch of liers!!!

1. They always told us that they were issued sun glasses because the sun shines brighter in California than it does in the foggy South Carolina swamps!!
2. They also said that they had to be issued sun tan lotion cause California had mountains and was therefor closer to the sun and the lotion locked out the harmful ultraviolet rays. Since PI was flat and almost at sea level, Marine Headquarters felt it was not necessary to waste the cost of lotion on those recruits at PI, and felt this move was necessary to help sustain the lives of the misquito and sand flea populations on the east coast.
3. They always bragged about having "Surfboad Time" in the middle of the afternoon - from 1 to 3 o'clock. Said that they had voted on this issue as a platoon in lieu of just taking a siesta!!
4. Lastly, the only reason that they opted for the short haircut was that the covers ordered by battalion all came in small sizes and would not fit properly if hair was kept long, and was officially adopted as the "Cool Surfer" look!
So, when I did finally arrive in Californina a year & a half later - instead of receiving the sunglasses & lotion and a siesta, all I got was stupid Jungle Training!! I still hate those guys!!

thedrifter
02-04-06, 08:34 AM
http://www.thefontman.com/smileys/laugh400.gif

yellowwing
02-04-06, 10:12 AM
“Most of the recruits are pretty locked on to what they need to do by their recruiters,” said Gunnery Sgt. Timothy G. Walker, chief drill instructor, night operations.
Hey! One of our own made some ink :D

Lorix
02-05-06, 05:21 PM
Way to go Drillinstructor!

drillinstructor
02-23-06, 02:10 AM
New recruits receive intense welcome, lose hair in first night here
MCRD San Diego
Story by:Pvt. Charlie Chavez

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO(Feb. 3, 2006) -- One hundred recruits anxiously stood in four lines waiting for the arrival of 20 others before receiving passage to Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego to begin their training.

The new recruits began their journey at the San Diego International Airport at Lindberg Field in the United Services Organization, where they waited for a bus to boot camp.

Upon arrival at the yellow footprints, drill instructors rushed the recruits off the buses and lined them up for briefing on proper etiquette during recruit training and important articles of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

“Most of the recruits are pretty locked on to what they need to do by their recruiters,” said Gunnery Sgt. Timothy G. Walker, chief drill instructor, night operations. “But they always have stuff they’re not supposed to. That’s why they are searched.”

After a motivating introduction at the yellow footprints, the recruits rushed into Martini Hall, where drill instructors searched for contraband such as cell phones and non-religious jewelry or books.

The contraband search took about 45 minutes, and it ensured that all prohibited items were either discarded or put into envelopes with the recruits’ name on them, according to Walker.

Many of the recruits’ deepest fears and concerns became a reality by the actions of the surly drill instructors.

“The recruiter who put me in said it was going to be tough and to do exactly what is told,” said John M. Williams from Chicago as he stopped after sprinting down the hall.

“He also said running would be a really big part, especially for heavy-set people,” said Williams.

Recruits began to feel the mixed emotions of excitement, confusion and nervousness from the adrenaline-filled voices of the drill instructors.

“I’m really nervous,” said new recruit John R. Hicks as he stood directing recruits to their next stop. “I can only think that it is going to get a little bit harder a little bit later, but I hope I’m ready.”

The recruits continued the evening by getting dressed into combat utility bottoms and military issued clothing. They stayed awake, fighting off fatigue, throughout the night as they checked in through the Recruit Administration Branch.

“The Marine Corps is the best, so the intense training is only making me realize my good choice,” said recruit Jacob L. Meyers.

The next few days of recruit training were reserved for medical, dental and administrative processing until the infamous first Friday – when recruits meet their company drill instructors, and the real training begins.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200623165131/$file/04boots03_lr.jpg

Pvt. Josiah Gulke from Marysville, Wash., was one of the first new recruits from Platoon 2070 to get his head shaved by barber Frank Sardina here. Recruits get their heads shaved in training to ensure cleanliness. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Dorian Gardner

Hey my name made this article and I didn't even know it.kill.......hrscowboy just came to visit and I think he enjoyed seeing the night crew kill the incoming recruits..........He is still currently in SD and says he is off vacation on Monday

VaMarine
02-23-06, 07:13 AM
Hey the barber's name sounds familiar... Is it still those Italians that have been there for ages??

outlaw3179
02-23-06, 04:04 PM
LOL....i remember those hairy dudes ...same guys that zip zapped me .

drillinstructor
02-23-06, 04:37 PM
same ones hahahah mario is leaving soon and frank is taking over.......

VaMarine
03-01-06, 12:58 PM
Those guys are LEGENDS!! They have been there FOREVER. I think when I went in they had an article in the SD Times about them and their family has been cutting hair at MCRD since like the early 60's or something... Those men deserve something for the serving their country as long as they have.. Wonder if we could get President Bush to give them a medal... hmmmm...

drillinstructor
03-07-06, 11:23 PM
kill

Future-USMC-LT
03-11-06, 03:22 PM
When I was there last summer for boot camp, we use to call them The Mafia. I remember watching the Making Marines DVD (which was probably made around 1999) and seeing the same guy cutting hair who had cut mine in boot camp.

cgkades
03-11-06, 07:32 PM
mmmmm... memories :)