PDA

View Full Version : 31st MEU volunteers at local school

thedrifter
02-04-06, 06:15 AM
31st MEU volunteers at local school
31st MEU
Story by Cpl. Will Lathrop

AGAT, Guam (Feb. 4, 2006) -- Marines and sailors with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit's MEU Service Support Group 31 graciously volunteered their time and sweat to the South Christian Academy Monday, by removing debris from the roof and interacting with the students.

"The congregation just approved the budget to build a second story, so the timing of the Marines was impeccable," said Pastor Steven McManus, the president of the academy.

According to McManus, a hurricane destroyed the sanctuary, which used to be atop the school.

The eighteen service members arrived in the morning and worked until noon, removing dirt, brush and rubble, as well as putting up sheet metal for a new sign for the school.

"We've been here for about four hours now, and if you add all of those hours up, it's nearly 80 hours worth of work we put into this," said Gunnery Sgt. Jayson Boldenow, group gunnery sergeant for MSSG-31.

Their morning started by touring the school and meeting the students, telling them about their jobs in the service and answering the children's questions.

After the meet-and-greet session, the work began on top of the school, the blue-green team using shovels and machetes to clear away the dirt and overgrown areas of the roof. They also moved and piled up a mass of bricks left on the roof.

The effort was coordinated through Chaplain Sherri L. Garrett, the MSSG chaplain.

"This school gives so much to the community and students, it was only fitting that we give back to it," Garrett said.

Garrett was a teacher at the Southern Christian Academy from 1996 to 1998 before she became a Navy chaplain.

"I told them I was coming back, but I had no idea it was going to be like this!" she said excitedly. Some of her former students are in their senior year of high school, getting ready to graduate.

"This school is so inspirational, it has always encouraged kids to continue with their goals and dreams," Garrett said. "I'm so glad the Marines and sailors were able to come here and give back."

After a busy morning of laboring away on the roof, the school faculty had the Marines and sailors come inside and sit down to a lunch of cultural foods.

The Marines and sailors had a great time, taking time out from training to spend time with the students, experience the local culture and give back to the people who welcomed the service members with open arms, Boldenow said.

The MSSG serves as the combat service support element of the MEU, along with Battalion Landing Team, 2nd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 262 (Reinforced), and the MEU Command Element are conducting its MEU Exercise throughout Guam and Tinian.