PDA

View Full Version : Marine 'Living His Dream' Dies In Iraq

thedrifter
02-03-06, 01:16 PM
Marine 'Living His Dream' Dies In Iraq
POSTED: 10:41 am CST February 3, 2006
UPDATED: 12:23 pm CST February 3, 2006

LISLE, Ill. -- A West suburban family is mourning their son, who was killed in Iraq this week.

Friends and family said Sean Cardelli was living his dream of being a Marine. Cardelli, 20, was among several Marines killed in the war this week.

Cardelli joined the Marines just after graduating from Lisle High School in 2004. He grew up in Downers Grove, Ill.

Wednesday night, students at the high school held a moment of silence in his honor at a basketball game.

On Friday, the principal of Lisle High School announced Cardelli's death to the school.

"There's no good thing about this at all, but at least that's some, I think, some level of consolation for all of us, that he was doing something that he really enjoyed and considered purposeful," principal Ron Logenan said.

School staff said that, like a lot of kids, Cardelli struggled with what do with his life after graduation. But when he finally settled on the Marines, he was thrilled about his future prospects.

"He was a very caring student, and he was really excited to serve his country in the Marines," said April Sorce, a teacher at the school. "He stopped in in August to visit and let us know he was going to Iraq and was really proud of himself."

The Marine was on the school's wrestling team, and was described as a determined young man who accomplished his goals.

School officials said that because Lisle High is so small -- with about 600 students -- it's easy for everyone to get to know each other.

Logenan said that Cardelli's death might remind some students of how fleeting life can be.

"When you're young, I think you feel you have all these things in front of you, and you're looking forward to so much, and I think it's kind of a stark reminder to them that life is fragile, and you should probably enjoy each day and make the most out of each day."

A U.S. flag at the high school was flying at half-staff on Friday.

Funeral arrangements for Cardelli are pending.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

yellowwing
02-03-06, 01:21 PM
God bless PFC Sean T. Cardelli.