PDA

View Full Version : Enter the Devil Dog

thedrifter
02-03-06, 06:44 AM
Enter the Devil Dog
MCB Camp Butler
Story by Lance Cpl. Terence L. Yancey

CAMP HANSEN, OKINAWA, Japan (Feb. 3, 2006) -- The Marine Corps has the reputation of being the most disciplined fighting force in the world. From the time they are recruits, Marines are instilled with both mental and physical discipline.

Staff Sgt. Michael Suskin, company gunnery sergeant for Headquarters and Service Company, 9th Engineer Support Battalion, 3rd Marine Logistics Group, has been disciplining himself for 25 years through the martial art form Jeet Kun Do, a style developed by the martial arts legend Bruce Lee, which seeks outside influences, not restricting itself to one discipline.

“I started martial arts as a way to enhance my wrestling abilities,” said Suskin, a Baltimore native who started wrestling at age five and was a member of the All-Marine Corps Wrestling Team in the early 90’s.

Suskin is a black belt instructor for the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program and the director for the Far East Marine Corps Martial Arts Association.

“(Martial arts) is a life long learning experience,” said Suskin. “It has influenced everything I’ve done in life.”

Suskin makes frequent appearances at dojos in Naha to do full-contact sparring and is the coach of a local fighting club called Rough House.

Throughout his life, Suskin has had the opportunity to train with many famous professionals including Eric Paulson, who teaches combat submission wrestling, a form of Shooto, a style derived from shoot wrestling. As a drill instructor, Suskin also had the opportunity to train with such mixed martial artists as Royce Gracie, Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock.

“(Suskin) has opened my eyes to a new way of training,” said Staff Sgt. Jarrod Birchler, operations chief for Support Company, 9th ESB, 3rd MLG, who trains with Suskin on a daily basis. “He takes an aggressive approach to training. He’s really dedicated to what he does.”

Suskin first became interested in the Marine Corps at age 10 when he saw the Marine Corps silent drill team perform in Washington D.C. Approximately seven years later, as a junior in high school, he approached a recruiter, signed up for the Marine Corps and became a Marine the following year.

“(The Marine Corps) gives me an opportunity to continuously learn, whether in war fighting or every day life,” said Suskin.

Suskin has deployed many places with the Marine Corps, including Africa, Spain, Iceland, Iraq, Afghanistan and Korea.

While in Korea in November 2005, Suskin trained 11 Army soldiers from the 602 Arial Support Battalion in MCMAP. Upon completion, these soldiers earned their tan belts.

Suskin is currently taking an active part in preparing his unit for up coming deployments.