PDA

View Full Version : MOS Question....

prodigydeper
07-02-02, 03:21 PM
I'm back from MEPS and I'll be shipping off June 9th 2003! The soonest I could... I'm so thrilled! But...

I need to pick a job (I signed up with an open contract when I went to MEPS since I didn't know what I wanted to do but I'm kinda in a hurry to get my job and everything set) but I have a few questions first:

My ASVAB score was high so I was thinking about something in the Intell field, that kind of thing really interests me, but I was wondering what exactly is available and what they do. Anyone know?

I was also kinda interested in maybe air crew or something. Any info on that you could spare?

I'd really really appreciate any advice anyone can offer about any job field. I want something that's going to be challenging but fun too.

Thanks!
prodigy

NamGrunt68
07-02-02, 03:42 PM
Challenging but fun.........well if ya like sniffin night Mud then go for any "03" MOS.........

wrbones
07-02-02, 04:38 PM
It's been years since I heard that one. Enjoyment can be found in anything you choose to do. It's a matter of a job well done. Do you take pride in your workmanship? In learning more about new subjects? Do you always do your best, no matter what? That is the fun in a grown-up world. Whether it is digging the best fighting hole you can, or making damn sure everything was torqued, cotter-keyd and all the FOD cleaned up. does it matter? The point is, you'll certainly have some lee-way in choosing your career path in the Marine Corps. Personally, I wanted to be a grunt. The Marine Corps had other plans. You'll hear many others with similiar stories. Usually complaining that their recruiter lied to them. It is a matter of your intelligence and knowledge, but the Marine Corps has needs. Perhaps you will fill a need better than another. That's what you'll do. First, concentrate on learning all that you can about the Marine Corps. Second, talk to your recruiter about about a physical training program. Third, study the patriots of this nation, and those who served in its wars and "conflicts" Learn why they did what they did. Love of this nation and a sincere desire to be the best in the world are the main reasons to join the Marine Corps. Everything else is secondary. Everything.

Sixguns
07-03-02, 05:12 PM
Before you go about choosing an MOS, you need to write time some goals that you have for yourself.

Long-term = 10 years from now

Mid- term = 5 years from now

Short-term = 1 year from now

Understanding where you want to be at these points in time can help you to determine what MOS or career field may best help you to achieve these personal goals. If you are having difficulty answering these questions, think of yourself running back into a high school friend or someone you know now at these points in the future. What do you want to be able to tell them you have accomplished since they last saw you (today). Once you have these answers, your recruiter can sit down with you and discuss jobs that will help you to satisfy your goals. Let's face it, you joined the Marine Corps because your recruiter showed you how the Corps would prepare you for a successful future. Your MOS selection is part of your success also. I'd be more than happy to hear your answers and work through the problem-solving exercise with you. Just let me know how I can help.

Sixguns

Sparrowhawk
07-03-02, 07:53 PM
After completing Officers Candidate school he found he was among the top 10 and was given his choice of duty assignments.

With the Vietnam War going on, he knew what ever he chose he wouldn't have to go there.

Then a Lt. Colonel spoke to him and said:

"Larry, You can have your choice of duty assignments and what ever you chose will be alright, but I want you to think about something.

There are Marines fighting the war in Vietnam, you are gifted and talented and if you chose a duty assignment where the best of your abilities will not benefit them, someone else will be assigned to them and perhaps they will not be as gifted or talented as you are."

Larry Wilson chose to be a Marine grunt lieutenant, and because of him many of us made it back alive.

~~~~~

On a personal note, the proudest most rewarding duty assignment I ever had in the Marine Corps, was leading a squad of Marines in battle.

Your choice, what a great opportunity you have...

Semper Fi

Cook

Sixguns
07-03-02, 08:12 PM
Sparrowhawk,

The lieutenant you described answered the questions this way:

In one year I want to be a leader of men.
In five years I want to lead a company.
In ten years I want my company to celebrate my success.

I'm sure these were not his exact answers, but he did lead men, if he stayed around, chances are he had a company-sized unit and just as you have placed in your post, you acknowledge and celebrate his success in getting his Marines home.

What I can say for sure, is no matter where he went after his service to the Corps, I bet he was successful. I know this because we have all had one of the toughest jobs there is. Anything and everything afterwards pales in comparison to being a Marine.

Sixguns

HM3CRAZYDOC1966
07-04-02, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by prodigydeper
I'm back from MEPS and I'll be shipping off June 9th 2003! The soonest I could... I'm so thrilled! But...

I need to pick a job (I signed up with an open contract when I went to MEPS since I didn't know what I wanted to do but I'm kinda in a hurry to get my job and everything set) but I have a few questions first:

My ASVAB score was high so I was thinking about something in the Intell field, that kind of thing really interests me, but I was wondering what exactly is available and what they do. Anyone know?

I was also kinda interested in maybe air crew or something. Any info on that you could spare?

I'd really really appreciate any advice anyone can offer about any job field. I want something that's going to be challenging but fun too.

Thanks!
prodigy
The solution to your problem is simple, be a multi-lingual, 0311 that can hump a PRICK-10, an extra battery, an M-14 and two bandoliers of ammo; all the rest of your 782, carry on a radio transmission during a firefight; iron grid your AO using any language and rape and nape at your discretion to surpress enemy resistance. Piece of cake! Semper Fi!

Sparrowhawk
07-04-02, 01:35 PM
He did go on to become a Captain in the Corps and later on an agent/supervisor for the F.B.I.

His training in the corps helped in the career he had wanted.

Marines Training is forever, its what we do with it that matters.

Nothing like being a mud Marine, to help you realize and appreciate the value of life. Everything after that is easy.

A saying we had in Nam went like this;

"For those who have fought for it life has a flavor the protected will never know."

My advice to prodigydeper who wants something to put down as a job, that is both
challenging but fun

Do you want a career or a life changing experience?

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/grunt.JPG

usmcsgt65
07-04-02, 01:50 PM
Talk with the recuriter about military jobs and occupations (key word), and what do want. Anybody can be a grunt (I was a grunt, a scout/sniper, machine-gunner, weapons squad leader, and finally an office poge). You learn something for life and responibilities in all that you do in the Corps. Keep in mind the Corps has its needs also. Getting on the bus to go to ITR (shows how old I am) five of us were called aside. The DI said those orders for communication school have been changed. You are now ) 0300s - grunt.

HM3CRAZYDOC1966
07-04-02, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
He did go on to become a Captain in the Corps and later on an agent/supervisor for the F.B.I.

His training in the corps helped in the career he had wanted.

Marines Training is forever, its what we do with it that matters.

Nothing like being a mud Marine, to help you realize and appreciate the value of life. Everything after that is easy.

A saying we had in Nam went like this;

"For those who have fought for it life has a flavor the protected will never know."

My advice to prodigydeper who wants something to put down as a job, that is both

Do you want a career or a life changing experience?

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/grunt.JPG

Your 'quote' (i.e, the saying we had) is probably the most misquoted line in Marine Corps History. I swear. It is and was, "FOR THOSE WHO FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW." It is anonymous; and it was found on the bottom box cover from a C-Rat cover during the 77 day Siege at Khe-Sanh. You recall how you would flip the C-Rat box upside down; tear off the bottom cover and address it to whomever; your return address was FPO, SF, CA (other side was your message) no postage required. In this case the message or post card was never completed nor picked up during any mail drop. PS: OP. De Soto was a 3/7 Op in Quang Ngai (P) that kicked off in Feb. '67 following 'Sierra'. Same general AO along the Song Tra Khuc against the same bad guys; i.e., the 21st VC Regiment; at the same time 1/4 was engaged in Deckhouse IV; mid March 1967 De Soto was down to 3/7. Up North Prairie II shut down in Quang Tri about mid-March 1967. Prairie III began. The 21st VC who consistently never quit trying to take Quang Ngai to flank the Southern buffer at Chu-Lai were once again nailed on the hook of the Song Tra Khuc as they were the previous fall or late November 1966 on Op. Rio Blanco. De Soto was the last major Marine operation in Quang Ngai Province, although the area was constantly patrolled. ROKS & doggies begin moving into the Province while main USMC battalions moved North to reinforce the Hill fights. I left on 7 July, 1967.

Sparrowhawk
07-04-02, 04:01 PM
Your 'quote' (i.e, the saying we had) is probably the most misquoted line in Marine Corps History. I swear. It is and was, "FOR THOSE WHO FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW." It is anonymous; and it was found on the bottom box cover from a C-Rat cover during the 77 day Siege at Khe-Sanh

Someone about two years ago, wrote the above saying on the internet and while I tried to correct him at that time, he would not change it.

I first heard it when John Niedringhaus a machine gunner in our squad who was always reading and a very educated Marine said them. he was always saying things like that and I don't know where he got the saying from, but I suppose he must have heard it someplace. I asked him to repeat the words and then <b>I wrote them down as I have stated above on the cover of the dairy, I kept in Vietnam.

"For those who have fought for it life has a flavor the protected will never know." </b>

That was in July of 1967, months before Khe-Sanh. The words found at Khe-Sanh were the same as I quoted above and as John had said them to me.

Only recently was "life" replaced by the word "Freedom", and I believe it was someone that had heard the saying but had forgtten the exact words so they substituted "freedom" for "Life".

Yep, you're right it is often misquoted!

<i>PS; I don't know about the c-rat box, but I still have the spiral notebook cover of my diary where I wrote the words down in July of 1967.</i>

For your information, I have spend a lot of time in Washington, D.C. copying After Action Reports, Command Chronologies as well as Unit Diaries of 3/7 and the operations Marines I knew were involved in as a means of supporting some of the information that appears in the book, I have been working on.

I posted the command chronologies for 3/7 for January 67 on my web site about a year ago. If you have not read them before you might find the information interesting.

On 27 January 3rd Bn, 7th Marines initiated Operation DESOTO
http://vietnamveterans.bizland.com/DeSoto.chtml

Sixguns
07-04-02, 05:02 PM
As Marines, we all know that wars and battles fought and won are based on the men in the fight. Regardless of job or MOS, we all have an important position in the overall scheme of the Corps. True, the tip of the spear is our 0311s and the infantry units, but we all know there are at least a dozen people behind the scenes who make it possible for them to be successful.

One of my favorite quotes is:

"It's not how many show up for the fight, but who they are!"

Marines have a habit and nature of being successful. It is part of our culture. The traits are not unique to any MOS, rather, all Mairnes have this type on tenacity and drive to succeed.

Sixguns

NamGrunt68
07-04-02, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by HM3CRAZYDOC1966

The solution to your problem is simple, be a multi-lingual, 0311 that can hump a PRICK-10, an extra battery, an M-14 and two bandoliers of ammo; all the rest of your 782, carry on a radio transmission during a firefight; iron grid your AO using any language and rape and nape at your discretion to surpress enemy resistance. Piece of cake! Semper Fi!

Doc, ya probably lost him with the "782" !!!!

NamGrunt68
07-04-02, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Sixguns
As Marines, we all know that wars and battles fought and won are based on the men in the fight. Regardless of job or MOS, we all have an important position in the overall scheme of the Corps. True, the tip of the spear is our 0311s and the infantry units, but we all know there are at least a dozen people behind the scenes who make it possible for them to be successful.

One of my favorite quotes is:

"It's not how many show up for the fight, but who they are!"

Marines have a habit and nature of being successful. It is part of our culture. The traits are not unique to any MOS, rather, all Mairnes have this type on tenacity and drive to succeed.

Sixguns

I'd like to know whur them other "12" behind da scene bro's were on April 17, 68 when we had about 10 KIA and 22 WIA, we could o sure used em !!!!

HM3CRAZYDOC1966
07-05-02, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

Someone about two years ago, wrote the above saying on the internet and while I tried to correct him at that time, he would not change it.

I first heard it when John Niedringhaus a machine gunner in our squad who was always reading and a very educated Marine said them. he was always saying things like that and I don't know where he got the saying from, but I suppose he must have heard it someplace. I asked him to repeat the words and then <b>I wrote them down as I have stated above on the cover of the dairy, I kept in Vietnam.

</b>

That was in July of 1967, months before Khe-Sanh. The words found at Khe-Sanh were the same as I quoted above and as John had said them to me.

Only recently was "life" replaced by the word "Freedom", and I believe it was someone that had heard the saying but had forgtten the exact words so they substituted "freedom" for "Life".

Yep, you're right it is often misquoted!

<i>PS; I don't know about the c-rat box, but I still have the spiral notebook cover of my diary where I wrote the words down in July of 1967.</i>

For your information, I have spend a lot of time in Washington, D.C. copying After Action Reports, Command Chronologies as well as Unit Diaries of 3/7 and the operations Marines I knew were involved in as a means of supporting some of the information that appears in the book, I have been working on.

I posted the command chronologies for 3/7 for January 67 on my web site about a year ago. If you have not read them before you might find the information interesting.

On 27 January 3rd Bn, 7th Marines initiated Operation DESOTO
http://vietnamveterans.bizland.com/DeSoto.chtml
Those Ops ran back to back down there; your right De Soto was kicked off in Quang Ngai in Jan. '67, but not with just 3/7; there was also 3/5 as well in the beginning; as I said by March 3/7 remained. Sierra was a December 1966 Op that began after Rio Blanco in the same general AO by that I mean a broad triangle from the hook of the Song Tra Khuc to include Quang Ngai city; Mo Duc, Duc Pho, Binh Dinh, etc...; I have much of the III MAF perintreps for those months; and some for the 7th in November (AAR's) only.

In anycase imagine my disappointment this year when I woke up one morning and suddenly remembered I didn't take notes back in 1966. Cut me a huss; I was on every single Op in Quang Ngai Province from Sept. 1966 through March and April 1967; and it ain't easy keeping all that sheit straight. More units involved there than one group's AAR states. AAR's were verbal and radio relays that were translated by the receiver then pounded out on a crappy mechanical typewritter full of dirt making them near unreadable; to be photographed on microfiche and stored on film for 35 years. Pretty much a gloss over. Unlike the doggies in 2 CTZ; most of them to a man in the field went in guns blazing with his own personal secretary; which is why their records read like a Tom Clancy novel.

That's it. Just wanted to check this place out then hele on (make that di di outta here). Aloha Nui!

Sparrowhawk
07-05-02, 12:49 PM
Its a habit of mine to try to post as accurate information as possible when it comes to Marine incidents and stories.

I was just glad I kept a diary while there and Ive found from other witnesses that were there that Marine Corps records we have read were not always accurate.

In my diary I mention things that occurred one day but no record of those events can be found in Marine corps documents, but they are verified by others that were there. Some guys we though were killed were only wounded, and vise-versa.

One question I do have for corpsmen is;

Did the navy department require Corpsmen to write down or keep notes on battle wounded and treatments and then those notes were turned over to the Navy Department?

III MAF perintreps?

Ding Dong
07-07-02, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by NamGrunt68
Challenging but fun.........well if ya like sniffin night Mud then go for any "03" MOS.........

Hey Daner ... I thought I sniffed me some of that night mud out in the Cu Bans one time. When the sun came up, it turned out to be a dead dink in the next crater over.

NamGrunt68
07-08-02, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Ding Dong

Hey Daner ... I thought I sniffed me some of that night mud out in the Cu Bans one time. When the sun came up, it turned out to be a dead dink in the next crater over.

Memories......pressed between the pages of my mind........Memories.......well dog gone if'n it ain't Ding Dong......
I'm sure ya crawled over to da crater and did a couple hail mary's fer Mr Luke da Gook !!!!

devildog2B
07-08-02, 07:49 AM
Does anyone know the mos number for helicopter pilots? especially the U.S. Marine AH-1W Sea Cobra or the newer - AH-1Z Super Cobra - and also if anyone has a clue as to kind of an ASVAB score u would need to even qualify for that field........i would ask my recruiter but he aparently only works one day a year......as he is never there......any info would be great....thank you all!!!

Sixguns
07-20-02, 07:12 AM
Morgan,

First of all, pilots in the Marine Corps are commissioned officers. That means they come to the Corps with a college degree. Unlike an enlistment guarantee, officers can only choose one of three programs to pursue as a Marine career -- Ground, Air or Law. If a candidate chooses aviation, there is no telling what aircraft or aviation MOS he/she may get. I don't have my MOS chart at my finger tips, so I'll have to get back to you on the officer MOS numbers for the pilots of these aircraft.