PDA

View Full Version : The Cookies that You Sent

thedrifter
02-02-06, 08:59 AM
The Cookies that You Sent
Valley Sun, CA

I met Rick Crocker 14 years ago. He was an "O-SO" (officer selection officer) recruiting for the Marines. Life does not often offer a chance to find a kindred spirit. But after a brief conversation and the exchange of a Semper Fi, (always faithful) I knew that I had found one.

We were the odd couple. I was 20 years his senior but that hardly kept us from the myriad of adventures that we shared. When it came to baseball we were like oil and vinegar. He was a Dodger; I was a Yankee. Rick eventually left active duty to become a cop in Santa Monica. He loved the Corps, so he stayed in the reserves.

Rick was a man's man, a dichotomy of sorts. Few in life have the presence of character to 'Run with the Wolves' and then, without the loss of a moment put two little girls to sleep with a bedtime story. He was a sweet romancer and midnight dancer with an intellect profound and self-assured. He had an endearing, childlike demeanor. But one knew that when it came to push and shove he would take command. Rick was an expert in everything he did. His sense of competency gave assurance to those in his shadow.

I loved him for many reasons. But as I sit and struggle with thoughts amid the steamy aroma of a Chai latte, I am drawn to the memory of how he loved my children, Sabine and Simone. I will forever see him in that light.

Rick Crocker was the classic warrior, straight from the pages of Kipling. I thought him akin to Achilles. He had fought in Panama, Somalia, Desert Storm and was on his second tour of Iraqi Freedom when his life was extinguished as though someone blew on a candle. One moment he was rallying the Marines and the next moment he wasn't. Achilles never entered the gates of Troy.

Remember those Girl Scout cookies you brought to the Valley Sun last year? Many of the cookies that you contributed I sent to Rick. He wanted as many as I could send. The mission did not die with Rick. You and I must carry on; so now, I'm enlisting your help.

In a letter, Rick explained that when on patrol he and his Marines would greet the local Iraqi children with Girl Scout cookies. In addition, the Marines would also distribute toys and school supplies sent by the children of McKinley Elementary in Fairfield, Conn. Gail Marton, a teacher at McKinley, adopted Rick and his Marines, sending countless boxes of goodies. Gail got the word out about what Rick and the Marines were doing for the children and other schools followed suit.

Rick also expressed that the local villagers had warned the Marines of I.E.D's (improvised explosive devices) planted by the enemy insurgents. They told Rick that the reason they were willing to come forward with this Intel, thereby risking their own lives, was due to the kindness of the Marines to the local children. That kindness was partially manifested by the cookies that you sent. Those Girl Scout cookies were the ice breaker, the conduit that reached across barriers of ideology, cultures and faith. That's why Rick wanted all the cookies I could send.

Rick received many packages from many sources. He had a magnanimous personality. Shortly after his death, I heard from some of the Marines he had served with. They recalled Major Crocker passing out cookies and treats to Marines on forward positions. Many of those treats that he distributed were the cookies that you sent.

The Girl Scouts of La Caņada, La Crescenta and Glendale are selling cookies. There must be 10,000 little girls making their rounds. This is what I need from you: Please buy an extra box or two, or 10. Bring them to the Valley Sun and I'll get them to the troops. If a Scout has not reached your home, e-mail me and I will get a Scout over to you to sell you cookies. Make it happen! Don't worry about the logistics; we'll get the cookies to them.

If you can't be there with them, this is the next best thing that you can do. We have set a goal of collecting 2,000 boxes this year. Please help us meet that challenge.

During the 10th year of the siege of Troy when the best warriors were lost, it took Ulysses to take down what the heroes, Achilles, Ajax and Agamemnon could not. Sometimes we learn that it is not more weapons, rather more heart, gesture and ingenuity that can ultimately bring down the walls. Ulysses knew this; ergo the Trojan Horse. I think that Rick knew this, too. He tried to capture the hearts and minds with Girls Scout cookies. The cookies that you sent!

Joe PugliaRick Crocker