PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day for Big Blue

thedrifter
02-02-06, 06:59 AM
Bad Day for Big Blue
By Henry Collins
Thursday, February 2, 2006

From the United States Marine Corps Web site: "SEMPER FIDELIS was adopted by the United States Marine Corps about 1883 as the motto of the Corps. Taken from Latin, it means "Always Faithful." But it is more than just a motto for Marines, it is a way of life. It is a commitment we all share to our community, to our Corps and to each other. This is why there are no ex-Marines, only former Marines."

Swampscott Superintendent Matthew Malone likes to sign his letters and memos with “Semper Fidelis.” Based on his unfaithful maneuvers all day Wednesday with former baseball coach Frank DeFelice, I am suggesting Malone end his letters with something more like, “Do you believe me?” Or how about, “Are you buying this?”

This move by the new regime — or vocal minority — in Swampscott has nothing to do with whether DeFelice is qualified to coach the Big Blue until he reached the 500-win milestone. It has everything to do with small people having an agenda and not caring who they hurt to accomplish it.

I will be very up front in telling everyone I played for DeFelice in 1983 and 1984, and have been a strong supporter of his for years, even when a coup failed to remove him a few years ago.

Malone, Martha Kelleher, Richard Kane and the rest of the assassins, who decided to go in another direction with arguably one of the greatest programs in the state, were not up front. In fact, they hid during the whole process.

In a phone conversation with Malone Wednesday morning, I asked him what went on in a meeting with DeFelice at 11:15 a.m. He said, “We had a general discussion about baseball coaching and coaching strategy.” That was one of those lines he should have ended with “Do you believe me?” Or, “Are you buying this?”

The answer, Matt, is a loud no.

What’s funny about Malone the carpetbagger trying to do the San Diego shuffle on that simple question is this: He had to realize I know Malone never once watched DeFelice coach any baseball games.

It must be kind of hard to discuss a philosophy, Matt, when you don't have first-hand knowledge of what the coach’s philosophy even is.

So, this is what the new regime in Swampscott is all about.

Several weeks ago, Malone suggested to DeFelice he might consider retiring and the town would have a huge party for him.

DeFelice teaches and coaches in the town for decades, and the ex-Marine tries to stab the former Army soldier in the back without getting any blood on his hands.

Where was the student on this screening committee?

Wednesday, Malone initially said the interview process for coaching positions did not have students on the screening committee. When Malone was reminded that the girls’ basketball process included a player, he backpedaled quickly to say, “We have changed the process after learning from our earlier mistakes.” Guessing the mistake Malone referred to was that girls’ basketball coach Jack Hughes was supposed to suffer the same fate as DeFelice, but the newcomers were unable to oust him.

Kelleher, oddly enough, asked two current baseball players if they were interested in sitting on the screening committee. Both players refused and suggested Kelleher ask senior captain Chris Blydell to act as the team’s representative. It is no surprise that Kelleher’s attempt to include a player came to a screeching halt, because she was well aware Blydell would strongly support DeFelice.

We all hope our children learn right from wrong as well as the three R’s in their school years. Unfortunately, with the current administration in Swampscott, our children simply will learn that if you don’t like the rules, just change them to suit your needs.