PDA

View Full Version : 38 years ago tonight

Namvet67
01-31-06, 02:06 PM
Tet 1968 got into full swing in Vietnam. I was with the 11th Marines regimental FDC defending it against the vc who broke through the wire. Lots of 140 and 122 rockets incoming as well as small arms. It was a long night and one i will never forget. Wasn't real sure i was gonna see another day. Only had 5 months in country at the time and little did i know i would be in country for another 31 months. Anyone else there?

Osotogary
01-31-06, 02:30 PM
Namvet67-
Good to see you up and about. 38 years ago. Wow.
You brought to mind a Marine Corps Colonel that I met and spoke with many, many moons ago in San Francisco. He was in the closing stages of writing a book for publication. He gave me a rough copy of it, which somehow has disappeared or has been lost. The title of the book was the Easter Offensive.
Perhaps you may know of this Colonel. Perhaps you may have served under him. His name is G.H.Turley. Below is a brief review of is book.

Turley, Col. G. H. The Easter Offensive – Vietnam, 1972. New York: Warner Books,1985

Spring 1972: On the heels of American troop withdrawals, they came from across the Demilitarized Zone – multiple divisions of the NVA, spearheaded by T-54, T-55, and light, amphibious PT-76 tanks, determined to deliver a deathblow to the South. In three days of blood and smothering cloud cover, entire firebases were smashed and whole regiments of South Vietnam’s army collapsed in panic. But a small cadre of American advisors stayed and fought, and one man – Marine Col. G. H. Turley – was catapulted to the forefront, to make life-and-death decisions while the brass in Saigon refused to believe what was going on. In this gripping chronicle, Col. Turley relates the relentless action at Quang Tri, the staggering confusion, and the extraordinary, unforgettable acts of courage displayed by Americans who put honor before their lives.

Namvet67
01-31-06, 03:47 PM
It's good to be up and about Gary. Don't think i know Col Turley but i may check out his book. I had been out of Nam for almost 2 years when all that happened. The 1st and 3rd Marine Div were also gone. We were winning when i left Nam in 1970. Somehow the war was lost when we were not there.