PDA

View Full Version : 'We just did what we had to do'

thedrifter
01-30-06, 07:21 AM
Veteran: 'We just did what we had to do'
6 WWII soldiers honored for 60 years of service to country and community
By TYRONE TONY REED JR.
ttreed@jacksonsun.com

World War II veteran Arthur Bud Johnson, of Jackson, doesn't want to be remembered as a hero. He just did what he had to do.

"(War) makes a man out of you," Johnson said. "We just did what we had to do to stay alive and save lives."

Johnson and five other local veterans were honored for serving in World War II and for more than 60 years of volunteer community service Saturday night at the VFW Post 6496, on Airways Boulevard. Only four were present: Johnson; Douglas Anderson, of Pinson; John Hornsby, of Jackson; and Thomas Gene Byrum, of Medon. William B. Douglas and Hugh Blackmon, both of Jackson, were not able to attend the ceremony because of health reasons, according to Post Cmdr. Larry Meggs, who coordinated the service.

"We appreciate them for fighting for our country, before I was even born, and putting in 60 years of community service," Meggs said. "It's great that we can recognize them for what they have done not only for our country, but also our county and our post."

State Rep. Steve McDaniel, R-Parker's Crossroads, and Madison County Mayor Jerry Gist presented the veterans with state resolutions honoring their service, which several attendees said were overdue.

"It should have been done 30 years ago," said Bolivar VFW Post Cmdr. Roy Farris. "All of the vets are about dead now."

More than 3 million World War II veterans are still living, but the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs projects that number to decline by hundreds of thousands each year.

Byrum, 77, didn't see any combat in World War II, but did in two tours through Korea and two tours through Vietnam.

"It was an honor that someone thought of us, but it's really overdue," Byrum said about the recognition he received Saturday night. "Most of the veterans feel that way."

Byrum said that while the nation's support was high during World War II, he remembers a time when the nation wasn't behind the military. "We got such bad treatment from the country that I didn't want people to know I served in Vietnam," Byrum said. "We were spat on ... called baby-killers. That was a mighty hard pill to swallow and not lose your cool."

Hornsby, 81, who served in the Marines and fought in the Battle of Iwo Jima, said that while the award is great, he now carries unwanted baggage.

"It left me with a bunch of memories that are like nightmares that never go away," Hornsby said.

Anderson, 85, who served in the Air Force, said that he's very fortunate to be alive, especially after what he experienced in World War II.

"I was a gunner on a torpedo plane, and I was shot up quite a bit," Anderson said. "If you get shot up a bit, your attitude changes."

Anderson and Hornsby said that's why they believe that the younger generation will not understand the sacrifices they made until they are placed in the same situation.

Many of the young soldiers serving now do understand, Byrum said.

"I think most of them do understand the sacrifices we have made," Byrum said. "I just hope the younger generations will remember what we have done."

Visit jacksonsun.com and share your thoughts.

- Tyrone Tony Reed Jr.,

Ellie