PDA

View Full Version : Should vets' graves be moved?

thedrifter
01-27-06, 10:16 AM
Should vets' graves be moved?
By THERESA KATALINAS
Bucks County Courier Times

Ruth Mooney always knew she was a direct descendant of the Pidcock family, a group of settlers whose roots were planted in Bucks history during the 1600s and 1700s.

"Having the name 'Pidcock' helped," Mooney of Langhorne said of her maiden name.

Pidcock Creek flows through Washington Crossing Historic Park in Upper Makefield and Pidcock Creek Road runs through Solebury. In 1702, John Pidcock built the center section of the Thompson-Neely House, located at Washington Crossing Historic Park, according to the Pidcock Family Association, www.pidcockfamily.org.

During the Revolutionary War, the house was used to treat sick soldiers in 1776 and 1777. Some of the soldiers died during the encampment and were buried near the house, according to Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, the state-funded agency that operates Washington Crossing Historic Park.

Since she was a child, Mooney- and, in subsequent years her husband, Jerry, children and grandchildren - were spurred by the Pidcocks' rich history to return to the Moore Pavilion, adjacent to the Thompson-Neely House, for annual family reunions. While there, Mooney said she makes a point to visit graves of Revolutionary War soldiers.

"It's important to know our heritage and to keep in contact with those that have gone before," Mooney said. "Our country would not be what it is today if it wasn't for those brave souls."

The Courier Times was unsuccessful Thursday in reaching Fitzpatrick for comment.

Jane Crawford, Pennsylvania Historic Museum Commission spokeswoman, said the bridge over Pidcock Creek washed out about nine years ago, making grave visitation more difficult. A park official said visitors have to walk about a quarter-mile from the Thompson-Neely house to get to the graves. Crawford said bridge repairs would cost about $1 million and should be complete in a few years.

Cynthia Wilson of Morrisville raised concerns earlier this month about difficulties she faced in trying to visit the graves. When she heard Fitzpatrick's idea to have the graves relocated, Wilson said, "I would be very much behind that."

But, instead of considering a potentially costly grave relocation, Jerry Mooney said Fitzpatrick should use that money to rebuild the bridge.

Bristol Township resident Joseph Mueller, who has visited the sacred ground hundreds of times, said he intends to contact public officials to fight against the possible grave relocation. Mueller called it unconscionable that Fitzpatrick would consider "disturbing their final resting place."

"As a child, my parents took me there to teach me about the price of our nation's freedom; as a schoolboy, I visited on field trips to learn about the history of our country; as a Boy Scout, I hiked the area to earn merit badges," Mueller said. "This is a place that should be considered hallowed ground. The men buried there paid the ultimate sacrifice so that our nation could be born."

Theresa Katalinas can be reached at 215-269-5081 or tkatalinas@phillyBurbs.com.

Ellie

junker316
01-27-06, 11:38 AM
Are they removing the bodies with the headstones..? that could get very costly and the rebuilt bridge would cost less at that point. I say don't disturb the graves. We have enough ghosts.

BigPhil
01-27-06, 12:31 PM
I also agree these brave men have rested in peace all these years don't disturb them now. Build the bridge.