PDA

View Full Version : Marine gains status of colonel

thedrifter
01-27-06, 09:43 AM
Marine gains status of colonel
The Steubenville Herald-Star

WINTERSVILLE - He is one of the few and the proud.
Steubenville native Roy David Harlan has served in the Marine Corps for more than 20 years, most recently serving in Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom, and now he is being rewarded for his dedication and personal sacrifices.

Harlan, 52, was promoted to the rank of colonel during a ceremony Saturday at St. Florian Hall.

Harlan's mother, Rosemary Harlan of Wintersville, said she was thrilled that she had the opportunity to see her son's promotion. "We were all excited and honored," she said when the family received the news of Harlan's promotion in November.

Rosemary has seen her first-born son follow in the footsteps of his father Roy Harlan, who also served in the Marines.

"It's frightening," she said of her son being overseas in hostile conditions, but she added, "I'm proud that he is doing this for his country."

Harlan received his colonel pins from friend and former boss Col. Henry J. Donigan III, who noted few Marines ever reach the rank of colonel.

"I'm not surprised," Donigan stated of the promotion to Harlan. "He has spent his entire adult life in service to the nation at the expense of his personal interest and hobbies."

Harlan's promotion is one of the highest ranks a Marine can achieve. He is currently the director of Marine operations, peace keeping and stability operations at the U.S. Army War College in Carlisle, Pa.

After Harlan took the oath to uphold his newest duties, he received pins for his new rank which were given to him by his mother and Lani Moreau, his girlfriend.

Harlan was humbled about his promotion when he spoke in front of family, friends and military personnel, including veterans who served in World War II, the Korea and Vietnam wars and the war on terror.

"We are not here to honor Dave Harlan but rather we are here to honor all of you," he said. "You honor me by your presence, and I thank you."

He explained that everyone in the room, whether it was a personnel friend of his or a family member, made him into what he is today.

"This was a great opportunity to thank them for their investment in me and their efforts," Harlan said after the ceremony.

He spoke fondly of Donigan, who flew in from California to perform the ceremony. "I'm deeply honored and we have shared some great things together," Harlan said.

Harlan also spoke about his time in the Marines and what it means to serve his country.

"It is an honor to serve and to defend my country and it's certainty an honor to be selected to be promoted to colonel, which comes with greater responsibilities," he said, noting freedom must be defended by every generation.

"He is playing a significant role and advice will be sought from him," Donigan stated of Harlan's latest promotion.

Harlan has received various promotions throughout his years of service to the Marines but this is the first promotion that his family has been able to witness first-hand.

"It's nice to see his career come full circle," Harlan's brother Bill stated. "It gives us a chance to reflect on what he has done."

Harlan's sister Helen New also was on hand to see her brother receive his promotion.

"He's always been passionate and truly believes in what he is doing," she said.

New also stated that her brother has touched a lot of lives abroad and he is a silent hero for his accomplishments.

"It's motivational," Pfc. Chris Jonczak of Weirton said of the promotion to Harlan. "It inspires me to do what he does."

Jonczak participated in Harlan's ceremony serving as the rifle man during the March on the Colors.

While Harlan's time back home to Steubenville was short, he was thankful to share his latest accomplishment with those closet to him. "I've been around the world and met good people but have never met people like the ones in the valley," he said.

Ellie