PDA

View Full Version : Pull Ups

Zippo
01-27-06, 07:54 AM
is it natural for the big guys to do less pull ups than little guys?
i'm 6"1 and 170lbs. @ 4 pullups.
all the other big guys in my poole do about the same, some as much as 8-9..
but those little fellas get up there at like 20... that right?

the_mo
01-27-06, 08:48 AM
im 6 foot and 180 pounds and on a good day i can do around 13 or 14 pull ups

msf
01-27-06, 10:56 AM
we have longer arms and weigh more thats why

Tobes03
01-27-06, 05:32 PM
I got an idea. How about you spend less time looking for an excuse on why you can't do pullups worth **** and more time actually doing them!

Rdy2gopoolie
01-28-06, 07:49 AM
lol yea you just gotta keep at it. at 6 foot 200 pounds i am doing 8-10. there was a post on one of the forums that has a really good way to get your pull up count up. i agree with tobes.

MKinney
01-28-06, 06:36 PM
If you have a local gym, build up the muscles using a lat pulldown machine. Just a month ago I couldn't do 1 pull up, now I can do 4+ easy. There are also assisted pullup machines.

outlaw3179
01-28-06, 09:10 PM
Zippo Ive got a little piece of advice for you . First off the the "dick" that your talking about ..Hes a United States Marine so I would be very very careful about how you speak to an indivudual who has already completed recruit training. Right now your not even a recruit. You are just a poolee. One day maybe just maybe you might have the great honor of being allowed into our gun club. Until then you will treat every Marine on this website with the outmost respect and will respect their opinions and even their critiscism.
Maybe you didnt like his response , but Ive got a little secret to tell you . There will be alot of responses that you might not lke and alot of other "dicks" especially when you get to the fleet.
Until you have stepped on the yellow footprints, until you have busted your ass and earned the title of United States Marine , you will show respect to all the Marines on this site.

How Copy?

rb1651
01-28-06, 09:30 PM
Well said, outlaw. I just replied to your IM about "washing" and that's what it boils down to. Someone who has not yet earned the title, being critical of someone who has.

Zippo, a little friendly advice. If something as harmless as the statement Tobes03 upset you that much, you had better make doggone sure what you want to get yourself in for. Trust me, it's going to get a hell of a lot worse once you hit the footprints, and if you don't have the intestinal fortitude to take someone telling you the obvious, whether you want to hear it or not, you will be broken. Just food for thought. I'm not trying to discourage you, but that's what it takes to earn the title.

Zippo
01-29-06, 10:17 AM
i agree with everything yall just said. but but your still missing the point.
all i said is he doesnt need to jump to conclusions. i was ASKING a question out of curiosity. period.

Rdy2gopoolie
01-29-06, 10:25 AM
yea i understand but i know when i read it it sounded like you were making an excuse. sorry i misread that. regardless just keep working on pullups youll be able to do more just keep doing it. there was a post that said do like a set of 4 then rest a sec then do a set of 3 then rest then 2 then 1. then start over again. but do as many as you can do and then count down from there. like i can do 10 then ill do 9 then 8 and soo on. it helps.

LittleDevilDog
01-29-06, 10:35 AM
i agree with everything yall just said. but but your still missing the point.
all i said is he doesnt need to jump to conclusions. i was ASKING a question out of curiosity. period.

Just shut up Zippo... he's earned the titled, not you. You have no room to talk back to him. You asked a question, he answered, and if I may say so myself, he made a good point.

Go work on them, that's the only way to improve pull ups. If you can't take that, I don't know how you're going to take a Drill Instructors Devil Dog stare and yell in your face for 13 weeks.

Good luck.... and show some more respect to these Marines.

Zippo
01-29-06, 10:35 AM
k thanks for the advice. but really, i AM working hard to get in the best shape i can.
and to rb1651.. DI's are qualified to be ********, other Marines are not.

Edited....Someone better Learn R E S P E C T;)

outlaw3179
01-29-06, 11:47 AM
wow.....poolee you are going to have a long long 4 years. Im sure by now you have heard about the 10% that the Marine Corps. has. Right now you are well on your way to becoming one of those Marines. Say whatever you want Zippo , but right now if your whining about not being able to do pull ups, and complaining about how your already being mistreated lol, MCRD or Paris Island is going to be sooooo much fun for you. Keep running your suck , keep making excuses and eventually the green machine will find you , chew you up and spit you out just like every other non - hacker.

rb1651
01-29-06, 12:19 PM
Our young friend just doesn't get it. Oh to be a fly on the squadbay wall when the DI's get to meet him. Best of luck to you Zippo, you are going to need it!!! Hey outlaw, want to take bets on how long it'll be before he's askin' for momma when his Senior gets started with him?

Zippo
01-29-06, 12:20 PM
ok, you guys all got a completely wrong impression of me based on what i said earlier. someone accused me of making excuses, when in fact i was just asking a question. that irritated me because i've been brought up never to make excuses.
anyhow, i'm going to BE a Marine, and a damn good one because i'm motivated as hell. so if you all can forget what i said earlier, cool, but if not i wont log in any more.

rb1651
01-29-06, 12:37 PM
That's all we ask of Zippo. You have to be able to take what others say without taking it personnally. I know it's hard, I'm bullheaded too. But sometimes it's best to buck it up take it for what it is, and learn. Nobody is asking that you leave, you have the potential. Continue to ask questions, and we will do our best to answer them honestly, and if we can't, we will try to direct you to a source that can. Welcome aboard.

Zippo
01-29-06, 12:49 PM
well i hope you can understand how bad i want to be a Marine.. and how it's very disheartening when real Marines tell me i wont make it and that i'm going to basically be a disappointment to the Corps.
and again, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Rdy2gopoolie
01-29-06, 12:52 PM
dont get down. just try harder and prove them wrong.

outlaw3179
01-29-06, 02:35 PM
Zippo you sound stubborn and you yourself kind of sound like your a dick. lol..thats 100% percent fine and nothing to be apologetic for. All Marines are sure of themselves and have attitude. Im sure you will be a good Marine once you complete recruit training. On this site there are alot of good Marines who have years and years of experience. Anytime any of theese Marines say anything to you its not because were trying to be A-holes but instead that we are trying to help you . You are and always will be welcome on this site. The only thing we ask is that you always show tact and judgement. Semper Fi poolee.

Smalcom
01-29-06, 03:56 PM
but back on subject.... all you gotta do is follow the armstrong pullup program... it works wonders... im 6'0 163 lbs... started at 4 pullups... and its been about 2 months and im up to 17.

just type in armstrong pullup program in google... ITS AWESOME... it also implements a series of pushups to help you.... also get in to a weight room if you can and work on your shoulders and bi/tri's. ull get there dont worry.

Zippo
01-29-06, 04:31 PM
thanks alot! i'll definitely look into that program.
4 to 17 in two months?? damn

MKinney
01-29-06, 07:59 PM
I'm gonna start on that Armstrong program tomorrow, though I'll have to take it slower on the days when I PT with fellow poolees (Wednesday). I was just at the gym and did a little pullup routine. 3 sets X max overhand, and in between each set I would do a set of leg lifts/hello dolly's, then 3 sets X Max underhand chinups with another set of leg lifts/hellos between those.

DuckSauce
01-29-06, 09:57 PM
well if I were you Zippo, I'd set aside the pull ups and learn a little JJ DID TIE BUCKLE...just a thought, but what would I know huh?

DuckSauce
01-29-06, 09:59 PM
oh and remember...first impression, last impression.

DuckSauce
01-29-06, 10:17 PM
uhhgg...guess i have a time limit on editing posts?

Zippo its awesome you're moto, I've seen people slime through life going nowhere and its great you have heart, but don't forget to show respect to those that have gone before you! If you earn the title, and you mouth off to an NCO in the future, you're going to get thrown through a wall.

I reread through this topic, and saw u had apologized. I wasn't here, but I too accept it, and no longer mean to come off as harsh in my first post.

Anywho...I love doing those lateral pulldowns. I noticed i could do another 40lbs easy on those after I graduated boot, last year.

Stay moto, check out that knowledge I've shown you, and hit the gym! Pullups are worth 5 pts. on the pft. it takes running ~30 seconds faster in the 3 mile to make up for every missed pullup. Which way is going to be easier to get a better score?

If you need anyone to talk to, I'm on AIM...

over and out...

Semper Fi,
PFC Welbaum

Zippo
01-30-06, 01:04 AM
way to triple post, lol! haha j/k..
yea i was a little surprised to see you jumped on me like that after i apologized.. but either way correcting me on something like that is ok, soooo...
anyway thx for the pullup advice.

LittleDevilDog
01-30-06, 06:02 AM
Zippo,

I too would like to say things are cool on this side. Just now that if I ever get like that, it's just because I want to see my fellow "future Marines" stay in check and keep a good reputation around the Marine community.

I've always had a habit of using constructed critism and roughness to push someone to do something. Always was thankful when people did it to me.

Good to see things are cool now. Best of luck to you, bro.

Mc75sOS
02-02-06, 05:30 PM
Im 5'7'' 195 lbs and can do 15 on a normal day.

Trick is to just keep doing them. Try pyramid workouts. Do reverse pullups to strengthen muscles further.

ultimatefighter
02-05-06, 08:37 PM
I am 6'4'' 205 lbs and I can do 17. I am shipping out to OCS on 060604. Try doing wide grips palms out, as well as regular grip, palms in and out. Strap some weights to ya too. Do 50 reps no matter how many sets that takes you. Good Luck. S/F

Zippo
02-05-06, 11:02 PM
good deal. thank you.

The Sandman
02-06-06, 11:34 PM
in reference to the "Armstrong Pull-up Program"

excellent resource. I will start in the morning. Thank you for the post

Smalcom
02-07-06, 04:33 PM
yes its a great program... the key is committment..... dont slack off on ANYTHING... try never to miss a day..... and if u do make it up... trust me ull be up there in no time :)

The Sandman
02-07-06, 09:46 PM
i was saddened this morning after my push ups when i realized that i dont have a pull up bar. I guess i will have to do one of those home-made ones. (im gonna die)

MKinney
02-08-06, 02:19 AM
You can pick up a pullup bar from walmart or any local sports store. They hook up between the door with 2 mounting brackets and some screws. I believe you can find them for under 20 bucks.

The Sandman
02-08-06, 07:57 AM
Really? wow I never knew that! Ill check it out after work today. Thanks

MKinney
02-08-06, 10:08 AM
No problemo.

Rdy2gopoolie
02-08-06, 12:05 PM
Yea neither did I. Im rollin' over there after school.

Smalcom
02-08-06, 04:26 PM
i got one in my doorway (and a freestanding one)... but the doorway one was only 13 bucks.... good deal.... it holds like 400 lbs

Radiofantry
02-09-06, 05:14 AM
Something that I altered about the program is that when I've done my last max-effort set of pushups, and I fall on the floor, I thin get up on my knees and do girl pushups until complete failure. I only do this on the 3rd set, but I think it has helped a lot completely failing my muscles.

Also, on my last set of pullups for the day(however many that is each day), after I've fallen off the bar, I jump up and grab the bar and try to hold myself up, until I've literally fallen off the bar again.

Just my way of making sure my body has completely had its ass kicked.

Wyoming
02-09-06, 07:46 AM

get up on my knees and do girl pushups until complete failure...

Just my way of making sure my body has completely had its ass kicked.

Methinks that your arse is going to be kicked as soon as some of our fellow, albeit distaff Marines read your post.

I love it, you asked for it. and I feel not the least bit sorry for you as you'll learn.:devious:

Zippo
02-09-06, 09:38 AM
no what he said makes sense..
its a technique my roomate told me.
its called burning out... you get the best possible workout that way.

CrazyBrave83
02-09-06, 09:50 AM

Methinks that your arse is going to be kicked as soon as some of our fellow, albeit distaff Marines read your post.

I love it, you asked for it. and I feel not the least bit sorry for you as you'll learn.:devious:

Just wait 'til Lorix sees that one...;)

Radiofantry
02-09-06, 11:32 AM
That's what they always called them in gym class back in elementary school. Girl pushups are from your knees, man pushups are from your feet.

I'm dead aren't I?

CrazyBrave83
02-09-06, 12:20 PM
I'm dead aren't I?

Death will be a sweet release compared to the wrath of a female Marine.

Smalcom
02-09-06, 08:10 PM
dont forget to get in a weight room and do lat pulls.... military presses... and curls.... ull see improvements fast... also pullups where u touch teh back of ur neck work parts of ur shoulders uve probably never worked before, trust me ull be sore after 3X10 of those.

Accord
02-09-06, 10:13 PM
I've been on the Armstrong Pullup Program for a while now and it's a great program, because of it I went from doing half a pullup to 7 full deadhang pullups, however i've plateaued and have been stuck at 7 pullups for the past month, despite following the Armstrong program.

ultimatefighter
02-10-06, 09:45 AM
Yes. Lat Pull downs are great! I do pullups till failure (i weigh 205 lbs) and then i hop on the lat pull downs till failure with about 100lbs using the same grip as i do on the pull ups..try it...you will like it :marine:

CrazyBrave83
02-10-06, 10:17 AM
Before I DEPed in back in 2003, my pull ups were nothing short of abysmal. I'd make maybe 5, and I'd be kipping like a bastard on the way up. With a little work and perseverance, I shot up to 10-15 by the time I hit the yellow footprints. They're still around that area, even though now I constantly weightlift and my lat pulldowns are maxed at (approximately) 200+ lbs. I'd say lat pulldowns help, but the only thing that will really get your pull ups out there is to continually do them.