PDA

View Full Version : Looking for women Marines wounded in OIF/OEF

khunt
01-26-06, 11:45 AM
Hi,

I am a reporter with the USA Today currently working on a freelance piece on women wounded in combat (or everyday life in Iraq, which in a lot of cases might as well be combat). I would like to do a story on the unique challenges that face women who are recovering from severe wounds -- what's different? What's the same? What kind of support exists? Obviously in some cases doctors with female-related specialties are required.

I'm really looking for a human face to put on all of this -- I know there are women out there who have been in this situation, and I think it's been undercovered.

If you or anyone else you know might be willing to be participate in this project, please let me know. My e-mail address is below; if you would like to speak with me on the phone, just drop me an e-mail and I will forward my cell phone number on to you.

Thanks again for all of your time, and, as always, for your service.

Regards,

Kasie Hunt
kasie@kasiehunt.com

jgorosco
01-26-06, 11:58 AM
So I take it you would LOVE to put a spin on the story to make it seem like the Gov't or public cares less about Women in the Military. Gotta give it to the anti-military, anti-gov't to have the ballz to ask on here. Good luck on your quest. Maybe just maybe you will not throw your OWN personal spin on the stories

khunt
01-26-06, 12:03 PM
Hey -- absolutely not. I apologize if I stepped into the wrong forum here. Believe it or not, I'm looking for a new way to tell the Marine Corps' story. Women sometimes see the world differently and do face unique health challenges. I'd actually love to write about the things the military is doing specifically along those lines -- I know there's a Center for Women Veterans within the Dept. of Veterans Affairs specifically dedicated to working with women veterans. I think most of those types of initiatives have never been written about, and I think they deserve to be. What I want is a Marine who can speak about these things from personal experience.

If you know anyone who fits the bill, please let me know.

jennifer
01-29-06, 07:38 PM
hmm, WELL EVEN IF U ARE ONLY LOKING FOR WM'S SO THAT EVERYONE ELSE CAN SEE WHAT WE ARE GOING THRU, THEN I DUNNO. I DONT THINK THEY WOULD WANT TO GO THRU THAT AGAIN, FOR EXAMPLE THEY WOULDNT WANT TO RE-LIVE THAT HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE AGAIN BY TELLING SOME NEWS REPORTER!!!

BOOGIEMAN44
01-29-06, 08:18 PM
Well Lets See, Hummm, Last Time I Checked, A Marine Was A Marine, Whether A Marine Was A Female Or A Male, We All Are Marines, Those Of Us How Have Earned That Title, And We Will Look Out For Each Other, If Your Looking For A Story Just On A Women In Combat, Well, We As Marines Have Our Brothers And Sisters In Combat, And We, Don't Draw A Line Between Them, They Are Of Our Blood, Marine Corps-blood, Please Don't Insult Our Sisters, Our Sisters Have Worked Just As Hard As Our Brothers Have To Earn There Title As United States Marines, Please Look Else Where For Your Story, Oh, And Have A Good Day.

GunnyL
01-29-06, 10:31 PM
When I was in Somalia, none of my Marines would give the time of day to USA Today reporters.
USA Today has a substantial Track Record of being Anti-Military and putting a negative spin on stories regarding the U.S. Armed Forces, notice I specified U.S.. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're well intentioned but your Editors definitely have proven themselves to be unworthy.

GunnyL

jennifer
01-29-06, 10:34 PM
UH RAH GUNNY!!