PDA

View Full Version : Bill would stop protests at funerals

thedrifter
01-25-06, 03:28 PM
Jan 25, 12:51 PM EST
Bill would stop protests at funerals
By TODD RICHMOND
Associated Press Writer

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Protesters who gather outside a funeral could face jail time and fines under a bill a bipartisan group of state lawmakers proposed Wednesday.

The measure is designed to stop members of a Kansas-based church who have protested outside the funerals and visitations of about 80 soldiers nationwide, including three in Wisconsin, the legislators said. The church, led by the Rev. Fred Phelps, believes God is killing American soldiers because the United States accepts homosexuality.

The bill would prohibit protests within 500 feet of a funeral, wake, internment or memorial service for an hour before and after the ceremony.

Protesters who violate the bill's conditions would face a misdemeanor punishable by up to nine months in jail and a $10,000 fine. A second violation would be a felony offense, punishable by up to 3 1/2 years in prison and $10,000 in fines.

Two of the bill's supporters in the Senate, Sen. Ron Brown, R-Eau Claire, chairman of the Senate veterans committee, and Sen. Russ Decker, D-Schofield, said they think the measure balances mourners' right to privacy with the right to free speech.

"It's unfortunate but necessary we take these steps," Decker said.

Melanie Fonder, a spokeswoman for Gov. Jim Doyle, said Doyle's office helped draft the measure. Doyle has attended many military funerals as commander in chief of the Wisconsin National Guard, and "these families deserve a quiet and respectful space to grieve and pay their final respects," she said.

The 75-member Westboro Baptist Church is made up of mostly Phelp's extended family. Shirley Phelps-Roper, a member of the church, called the bill unpatriotic, un-American and unconstitutional.

"If the state of Wisconsin tries to interfere in our capacity to cause America to know her abominations and to put the cup of the fury and the wrath of God to your lips and make you drink it, then we'll see," Phelps-Roper said.

The measure needs approval from the Legislature and the governor to become law.

On the Net:

Wisconsin Legislature: www.legis.state.wi.us

Ellie

royalmarine
01-25-06, 03:40 PM
Well I think seperation of church and state would be for the better in this matter. And for Shirley Phelps-Roper to call it unconstitutional is absurb. Waco's like this should be in Vermont or put in the lions den. Not very respectful of God for saying he is killing the troops because of the homo's in the US. I say we go to all burial's for all the serviemen and women and stand guard for the families and God. See what they think about that, when they mouth off and God's Marines come desending upon them, it may open their eyes and shut their mouths.

rb1651
01-25-06, 05:52 PM
Royal,

Good idea, it just won't work. As has been posted here before, (See the thread regarding Lance Corporal Andrew Patten and others), they are looking for confrontation so that they can sue to support their cult, opps, I mean church. I salute my neighbors to north for finally taking legal action so that they end up behind bars, become "Babba's B---H", and pay for the privledge to visit him/her in jail. :yes: