PDA

View Full Version : Public gives area Marines big sendoff

thedrifter
01-25-06, 03:01 PM
Public gives area Marines big sendoff
By Greg Bischof
Texarkana Gazette

With gentle pats and kisses, Rose Jackson comforted her 5-month old granddaughter Destinie as the infant, clad in a pink sleeper, peered at a group of U.S. Marines at the D.A. Carson Marine Corps Training Center.

The baby may not have been able to find her uncle, U.S. Marine Corps Cpl. Justin William Jackson, amid the other camouflage uniforms, but she was in the crowd of other family members, friends and well-wishers gathered to offer handshakes and encouraging words to Jackson and 29 area Marines during a Tuesday afternoon departure ceremony.

The group, which is part of the center’s Bulk Fuel Platoon, will leave on a bus this morning bound for Camp Pendelton, Calif. They will be deployed sometime next monthas a supply unit in Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

During the ceremony, Texarkana, Ark., Mayor Horace Shipp offered the Marines encouraging thoughts and prayers as everyone assembled expressed hope for their safe return.

“I find myself saying it’s a privilege and an honor to be at different events throughout the months and years, but let me assure you that today is indeed a privilege and an honor to speak to these 30 Marines before they leave,” he said. “ I appreciate being part of this ceremony because being here is the very least I can do. I want to thank you personally and I want you to know that your nation thanks you and the people you are going over to help thank you.”

Shipp then spoke to the Marines about the Oct. 15 train derailment and explosion at the downtown railway yard and the emergency it involved.

“Because a lot of police officers, firefighters and other public safety officers remembered their training, the problem became far less of an tragedy than it could have been,” Shipp said. “Had they not remembered what they learned in their training 15 or 20 could have been killed.”

Shipp used the incident to focus on the high level of training the Marines undergo to ensure the safety and freedom of people throughout the world.

“I start my day every day with a prayer for the president, our commander and chief, and for you. We all want to pray for you and we want to be here to welcome you back and thank the Lord for your safe return.”

Capt. Jeremy Davis, inspector and instructor for the Bulk Fuel Platoon of the USMC’s 6th Motor Transport Battalion, based at the Texarkana, Texas, Training Center, opened his presentation by recognizing that of the departing 30 Marine Corps men and women, six were newlyweds.

Davis then assured the departing Marines that their seven-month stay in Iraq wouldn’t be a never-ending adventure. He said six and a half of those months will likely be boring.

“But then there will be those days and times that you will remember as dangerous and intense,” he said.

Davis then reminded the Marines of the three most important U.S. Marine Corps vows: Honor, courage and commitment.

“Our first vow is of honor and I have no doubt that many of these Marines who are about to leave, will come back with medals, which they will earn through hard work and dedication,” Davis said.

He went on to describe Marine Corps courage as being two fundamental types: moral courage and physical courage.

“Our moral courage can be found in the oath we took when we joined the Corps, to defend the United States against all enemies.”

He described physical courage as something they all know well.

“Physical courage means running three miles. Some of us may not like it, but it keeps us fit.”

Finally, Davis addressed Marine commitment as being to God, country and Corps, with commitment to family as one that is understood and goes without saying.

“As they leave today, pray for our Marines and keep them in your prayers as they keep us free and keep these immortal words in their hearts, my God, my freedom, my country and my Corps.”

Ellie