View Full Version : Newlywed Iraq bound

thedrifter
01-25-06, 07:03 AM
Newlywed Iraq bound
By MEGAN GLADDEN
Staff reporter of the
Manteca (Calif.) Bulletin

Marriage, fatherhood, then Marine service for policeman

By the time Sgt. Kenny Bates is able to hold his 3 month old son again, his son will be over a year old.

Sgt. Bates began active duty for the Marine Reserves on Dec. 1. On Jan 1, he headed down to train at 29 Palms with the First Battalion, Fourteenth Marines stationed out of Alameda. He is scheduled to be deployed to Iraq sometime in early spring.

Although he and his wife of only seven months, Heather, get to talk on the phone every day, they may not be able to see each other until Dec. 1, when his year long tour of duty ends. They are hopeful that Bates will get at least a couple days off before he is deployed, but there are no guarantees.

The newlyweds welcomed Michael into their family on Oct. 17, just two and a half months before the new dad had to leave. Although the separation is tough on this new family, they are confident that Sgt. Bates is fighting for a good cause.

“I support him,” said Heather. “I’m very proud of what he does.”

Sgt. Bates had been in the Marines for nine years already when he re-enlisted with the Reserves in November 2005 and signed up for a 20-year career. (The nine years he’s already served count towards the 20 years of service.)

His wife, Heather, said that it was his dedication and passion for the Marine Corps that led him to re-enlist.

With a military family like his, its not hard to believe. His grandfather, William Bates was in both the Army and Marines, and served in World Wars I and II. His uncle, Harry Bates, and father, Thomas Bates both served in Vietnam with the Army and Marines. His brothers James and Robert Bates served in the Gulf War for the Army.

Sgt. Bates is a military police officer, and in his civilian life, serves as a San Francisco police officer. He served in the Mission District before he left and will come back to serve in the Bay View District.

It is the extensive training that keeps Heather from worrying too much about her husband’s dangerous careers.

Ellie