PDA

View Full Version : Purple Heart stamp returns

Phantom Blooper
01-25-06, 06:54 AM
January 25,2006
BY CHRIS MAZZOLINI
DAILY NEWS STAFF

When the U.S. Postal Service bumped stamps up from 37 cents to 39 cents, it not only took away two more of a customer’s lucky pennies but also some postage that is dear to a large number of veterans.

The Purple Heart stamp, created in 2003 to honor those who were wounded in armed service to the country, was threatened with extinction when the postal rates changed. But the Postal Service announced last week that the Purple Heart stamp is coming back as a 39-cent version, thanks to an army of interested veterans and prodding from — New York Sen. Hillary Clinton.

“Even Hillary Clinton had a place on her Web site with a petition,” said John Cooney, a Marine veteran and Purple Heart recipient. “I got on there and signed it even though I disagree with her politics.”

As soon as the new stamp prices were announced, members of the Military Order of the Purple Heart expressed concern that the Purple Heart stamp would be discontinued.

Clinton, one of the co-sponsors of the bill that originally created the stamp, tacked a petition to her Web site urging the postmaster general to breathe life back into the stamp that honors the oldest military decoration in use.

The Postal Service responded by announcing the stamp would continue, in part because of the blood being sacrificed in the Middle East right now.

“At a time when our military service members continue to serve in Afghanistan and Iraq, it is appropriate that the Purple Heart stamp be reissued at the new first-class rate,” the Postal Service said in a news release.

That’s reason enough for George Reiter, a Purple Heart veteran who said the stamp should continue as long as Americans are at war.

“I believe it should be a stamp that should be continued as long as we are in combat,” Reiter said. “We’ve got boys and girls over there dying every day and getting wounded.”

No date has been announced for when the stamp will re-emerge. The current 37-cent stamp is still available until that day arrives.

But knowing the decision has been made puts a smile on the faces of Purple Heart veterans, especially since many thought the stamp had already gone the way of the milkman.

“I really did not think it would happen,” Cooney said. “Thought we were screwed and it was gone.

“I think its very important they continue it, for tradition and to carry on the heritage of the Purple Heart,” Cooney added. “It means something. Some of the young troops, I remember when we were young, you don’t really care. But as you get older it seems to mean more to you.”

Contact Chris Mazzolini at cmazzolini@freedomenc.com or at 353-1171, Ext. 229.