PDA

View Full Version : Ace relives days as Camp Pendleton's top entertainer

thedrifter
01-25-06, 06:54 AM
Ace relives days as Camp Pendleton's top entertainer
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton
Story by Lance Cpl. Patrick J. Floto

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (Jan. 24, 2006) -- Very few Marines from the Corps’ latest generation would recognize this particular charismatic 70-year-old man smoking vintage cigarettes but 35 years ago every Marine across the globe knew his name.

This man is Ace London, the former husband of the Angel of Camp Pendleton: Jean London. He was also the co-producer and director of the Camp Pendleton “Jean London Show” which aired from 1966-1972.

For those young Marines still scratching their heads in confusion, the Jean London Show is the longest running monthly show in the history of the U. S. Armed Forces.

Crowds of approximately 6,000 servicemembers going to and coming home from Vietnam gathered at his shows held at the San Onofre theatre.

“The idea came to me in late ‘65 while I was on a business flight to Minneapolis,” said London. “I happened to sit next to a young Marine who said he was going to go to Vietnam. When he found out that I was a personal manager for entertainers, he asked me if I could arrange for him and his buddies to meet some of the stars.”

Although only one of his clients, academy award winner Jane Darwell, was able to make that initial trip, the dozen Marines that met her were overjoyed.

Once the base special services officer found out about the visit, he told London that he could arrange a much larger show for an immense crowd of Marines.

Later, London was able to put together the first live show that featured Jean London as the hostesss.

After that first live show at the San Onofre theatre in 1966, the theatre swelled to maximum capacity for every monthly show.

“Later on, we had a Hollywood celebrity panel where the men could ask not just the stars, but choreographers, agents and the like any question they wanted,” said London. “They would ask questions like how to get into show business after the Marines and stuff like that, but the most popular question for the young ladies was ‘Are you single?’”

London added with a laugh that if the starlet answered that she was single, she was instantly the hit of the show and received mountains of fan mail after the show.

“I’ve never served in the military, but I could understand what could be floating around in these men’s minds before they are shipped out,” said London. “We just wanted to provide them a moment of time where they could just have fun and forget about the reality of where they were headed.”

“In 70 years of life your body will undergo many different changes,” said London. “But my heart, as well as Jean’s, will always be with the men that fought.”

To learn more about Ace London, visit www.vietnamjeanlondonshow.com.

Ellie