PDA

View Full Version : Political Careerism Above Country

thedrifter
01-24-06, 07:17 AM
Political Careerism Above Country
Written by Col. Bob Pappas, USMC Ret.
Tuesday, January 24, 2006

If Washington liberals weren't so out of touch with reality, it might be interesting to listen to their ramblings. But, the Deans, Kennedys, Kerrys, and so forth are the anachronistic remains of a defeat in Vietnam that they fostered if not created by their unpatriotic behavior. They seek the same notoriety that they were accorded during that era, an era that is past despite all their kicking, screaming, and fingernail-digging in on the edge of the abyss of ignominy into which they are inexorably falling.

Paying much attention to them, like paying attention to any careerist politician, is largely a waste of time. Most, if not all, politicians focus on election, then re-election, rather than on doing the best thing for their respective districts and for the nation as a whole. It's the "what's in it for me" attitude that fuels their political engine and molds their political image.

Regrettably, that attribute characterizes latter day American politicians. It matters little whether they are Democrats or Republicans. These are certainly not American politicians that the founders envisioned, although undoubtedly there were plenty of careerists around then too.

For those whose memory is short, allow this little bit of stimulation. During the Republican landslide of 1994, when Congress changed political hands for the first time in four decades, the much-ballyhooed theme of the event was "Contract with America" and "Term Limits." But, the minute that Republicans gained control they said – in effect:

"The need for term limits is not as urgent as it was once thought to be."

Is there any wonder why our Republican friends have faltered, albeit in nowhere near as sick a manner as their opposite numbers in the Democrat Party, who would sell out their country for a "bowl of porridge" (i.e. to regain political power)?

A number of readers of my writing has informed me that political dissent is the American way. But of course. Since they know about dissent, however, they should also know something of the time honored American tradition that there is a line at the water's edge, which neither political party would cross for any reason. In short we Americans stuck together (I suppose that politically correct "diversity" makes that impossible now). But the lust for lost power is so great among the current minority party that it stoops to anything including activities that divide the country and encourage America's enemies.

Consider the latest "tempest in a teapot" about the "President spying on Americans." Soon after 9/11 the National Security Agency (NSA) began intercepting communications between the enemies of the United States. It turned out that some of the people on the other end of those communications were American citizens in the United States.

Following, if not during a NSA briefing to the Congress on October 1, 2001, Nancy Pelosi (who at the time was a member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, and had been for 10 years, including two years as the ranking Democrat), suggested to Air Force Lieutenant General Michael Hayden, the head of NSA at the time, that he should have the president's authority to conduct intercepts involving American citizens. In a January 4, 2006, Washington Post article By Dafna Linzer, an excerpt from a letter dated Oct. 11, 2001, from Pelosi to Hyden included the following:

"I am concerned whether and to what extent the National Security Agency has received specific presidential authorization for the operations you are conducting."

The "operations" that NSA was conducting involved signals intercepts between al Qaeda and people, some of whom were American citizens, in the United States. She stated her concerns at the time, and for the past four years and four months she has remained silent on the matter.

Following the New York Time's story "Bush Lets U.S. Spy on Callers Without Courts" - December 16, 2005 - the media, ACLU, and other leftist loonies (yes, I know, "leftist loonies" is redundant) both in and out of Congress, smelling an opportunity to advance their political careers or gain even the slightest political advantage, began screeching like stuck pigs about the "outed" program. The effect of this leak jeopardized the intelligence collection effort, U.S. military personnel and combat operations and increased the physical risks to innocent American citizens everywhere.

For my friends who argue that the greater danger is to violate the Fourth Article of Amendment, I would argue that the president's prime constitutional responsibility is to protect American citizens (excluding domestic enemies), and innocent Americans should not give a hoot about the latter except to neutralize them.

If the Congress, in its not-so-infinite political wisdom were to find the president guilty of a willful violation of the Constitution, or a violation of some element of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), given the nature of the enemy, the nature and timing of the communications, the urgent need to conduct intercepts within the stated "narrow" provisions of the presidential authorization (which at this juncture are unknown except to those who have seen them); the president's constitutional authority; the Iraq Resolution; the fact that NSA regularly briefed the Congress on the "program;" long and repeated precedent, and common sense, I could forgive him for intercepting the communications of al Qaeda and their cohorts who just happened to be American citizens in the United States.

But, if it turns out that the president abused his authority for some untoward partisan purpose, even though a number of attacks within the United States were demonstrably prevented, then let the political chips fall where they may.

On the other hand, if the Congress, during its deliberations on the matter, learns that the program was/is as it has been publicly portrayed by the president and the administration, then those who have endangered or harmed America's servicemen and women by "outing" the program should be found, prosecuted, and punished to the extent of the law, even if they include members of Congress; no, especially if they include members of Congress.

Semper Fidelis

About the Writer: Bob joined the U.S. Marine Corps in February 1959 and retired in October 1989. He served two combat tours in Vietnam, and flew 500 missions in the F-4 and OV-10 aircraft. His military awards include LoM (2), DFC (2), (SM)AM (2), (SF)AM(24), Purple Heart, MSM, BS (V), and NCM. Bob is married to his best friend, and has a fabulous stepson and daughter-in-law and two wonderful, magnificent, lovely, precious, heart-melting grandchildren. Col. Bob receives e-mail at cheetah@gulf1.com.

Ellie