PDA

View Full Version : Military enlists 26 from Gaylord area

thedrifter
01-23-06, 10:33 AM
Military enlists 26 from Gaylord area
By Michael Jones, Staff Writer
Gaylord Herald Times

GAYLORD - Take a good look at Gaylord High School (GHS) senior Garrett Fuller. His is the face which is representative of the 26 young men and women who enlisted through area military recruitment centers located in Gaylord last year.

Recruitment centers in Gaylord are represented by the army, which enlisted nine recruits in 2005; the Navy with three; the Air Force, 6; and five who chose to join the Marines.

U.S. Army recruiter Sgt. Gerard Fuller (no relation) said Fuller personifies what he sees as the typical recruit from rural areas across the state, including Otsego County.

“The people we are seeing typically are active in athletics and other school activities and will have above average grades,” Fuller said of the men and women he has recruited through the Gaylord office, which is responsible for the communities running roughly along the I-75 corridor from Roscommon to Wolverine.

Garrett, the son of Tim Fuller and Geraldine Fuller, both from Gaylord, is co-captain of the swim team, ran cross country and has plans to run track this spring. He has been on the honor roll while attending GHS but will admit, with a 2.9 GPA, he could have spent a little more time on his studies.

He signed up for the Future Soldier Program, formerly known as the Delayed Entry Program, with Sgt. Fuller in July 2005 and says he knew early on that he wanted to serve his country in the military.

“I found myself feeling more patriotic after 911 and I think it had a lot to do with my decision to join,” said Fuller, who turns 18 next month. “I knew, though, that I wanted to serve my country even before that, and I had friends who felt the same way.”

According to Sgt. Fuller, the majority of those choosing to enlist in the military share Garrett's desire early on, knowing they would one day enlist and serve their country. “We typically see people that have direction in their lives and want to serve their country. I knew early on that I would join and that I wanted to get out of Buffalo where I grew up.”

Sgt. Fuller said the reasons people enlist seem to have remained the same throughout years. “Although people join for a variety of reasons, they tend to enlist for economic reasons, to serve their country, for the college benefits and especially here in northern Michigan, we find they enlist because they don't see any opportunities by staying here.”

Garrett's father, Tim, who had considered joining the Navy back in the 1970s, said neither he nor Garrett's mother favored his putting himself in harm's way by joining the military when the United States is involved in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. “Neither one of us were in favor of it, but I eventually came around to wanting to support Garrett's decision. This is something he always talked about. He would look up information, ask lots of questions and always tell us he was going to join.”

Garrett said his mother was very reluctant when the time came to sign the paperwork which would put her son on the list of the Future Soldier Program, a program which gives enlistees up to one year before reporting for duty. In Garrett's case, that's until after high school graduation. He reports for basic training June 27.

“I'm nervous and excited, both at the same time,” Garrett said as the time draws nearer to graduation. “When some of the kids at school found out I had enlisted, I got a lot of puzzled looks, like why would I want to do that. Some of them, though, were OK with my decision.”

“I'm proud that he made the decision. This is something which would have been difficult to talk him out of,” said Garrett's father. “It was a different time back when I was his age. It was the middle of the Vietnam war and soldiers were not treated with respect. It wasn't considered honorable to serve your country. Patriotism is up since 911, something that I saw as being needed, something we were lacking in this country. Yes, we're concerned, but I am proud of Garrett.”

Meeting with recruiters, Garrett's parents asked the hard questions, questions Sgt. Fuller said many potential recruits may not have considered. “The key is to be up front and answer their questions. I want them (recruits) to go in with both eyes open,” said Sgt. Fuller.

For Garrett the questions and meeting with recruiters only cemented his determination to enlist. “I thought it was better than what it would be as far as what I was getting into. This is what I decided I wanted to do. I'm not sure if I want to make this my career, but it's something I knew I needed to do. I've thought that after I might want to become a firefighter.”

For Garrett, June 27 may not come fast enough, while for his parents the day may come too soon.

Ellie

Old Marine
01-24-06, 08:40 AM
Back in the last 60's/early 70's we had numerous State Platoons at MCRD, San Diego.

CrazyBrave83
02-06-06, 04:45 PM
I can only imagine the "Don't ask, don't tell" jokes that will come from this. :banana: