View Full Version : Actor/Marine Lee Powell KIA

gunnyg
11-19-02, 10:55 AM
http://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/trio6.htm

Sgt0811
11-19-02, 11:55 AM
gunnyg,
Boy did you bring back great memories.
i was aware of Lee Powell being a Marine as I have quite a few autographed photos from famous Marines. One you may remember, Hugh O'Brien (Waytt Earp)

gunnyg
11-19-02, 12:07 PM
Yep--I remember Hugh O'Brien--when I first reported to CJHP in 1952, a kid named Tommy Cook was in my Bn--he was a communicator--he had previously played Little Beaver, etc. in the movies.

He also played Col Huxley's orderly, Zilch, in the movie Battle Cry in early 1955--I believe he was still in the Corps at the time.

DickG

firstsgtmike
11-19-02, 07:46 PM
William Elliott played Red Ryder, and I thought it was Robert Blake of Beretta fame who played Little Beaver.

I think his only speaking line in five or six of the westerns was;

"You betchum, Red Ryder."

? ? ?

gunnyg
11-19-02, 07:52 PM
Yep--Bill Elliott and several others also did Red Ryder--Rocky Lane was one of 'em--Bobby Blake also did 'Lil Beaver.

DickG

gunnyg
11-19-02, 07:59 PM
Lee Powell was the only actor KIA in WWII; of course lee Marvin, and possibly some other Marines/Actors were WIA.

A previous thread here a few weeks ago, I posted a long write up on Stars In Khaki, a companion book to Stars In The Corps, which was on Army & Army Air Force Actors WW II--don't remember that one as well as Stars In The Corps.

DickG