PDA

View Full Version : Local father proud of son's dedication to military

thedrifter
01-23-06, 07:06 AM
Local father proud of son's dedication to military, service to country
By Matt Clower, The Messenger

Frank Sadler always thought his son would make good football coach. He never realized Shaun Sadler would make such a great Marine.

Frank, retired after 41 years coaching football including some time as the head coach at Charles Henderson High School, has spent the past 20 years watching his son climb the ranks of the United States Marine Corps.

Lt. Col. Shaun Sadler is preparing to leave for his fourth tour of duty in Iraq on Wednesday, and Frank said he couldn't be more proud of his son.

“I'm real proud of him and all our military people here in Troy who have served,” frank said. “I am proud of Shaun because of how much he has advanced in his service. He probably could have made a good football coach himself, but he chose to fly, he chose to make the Marines his career, and he'll probably retire a lot better off than his old pop after he's finished.”

Shaun has spent his career as helicopter pilot for the Marines, earning numerous decorations along the way. Last year, Shaun ended a nine-month deployment as the commander of the 267 Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron.

Under Shaun's command supported ground troops and became the only squadron to plan and execute simultaneous support of all three West Coast Marine Expeditionary Units and the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit on Okinawa, Japan.

Frank said Shaun has now opted to re-enlist for another six month tour in Iraq, at the end of which Frank said his son is likely to be promoted to a full Colonel.

And although Shaun will be in danger during these next six months, Frank said his son has a good attitude about facing the risks.

“He's got a great disposition about it, he said ‘Look momma, I f I die, that was just the number of days that I was supposed to live on this earth. I'm going to go and do my job and get back to see my boys,'” Frank said. “And that's what you have to do, you have to do the job. I know it will be hard on him being away from his family for six months, but I am really proud of how much he has served his country.”

And while his son is fighting overseas, Frank said he'll doing what he can to help - by enlisting prayer.

“I don't want him dying, so at the same time I am going to make sure that he is on the First Baptist prayer list and hopefully they will pray for him nightly and the Lord will spare him,” Franks said.

Frank said Shaun made the decision to join the Marines right out of college with out any prompting from home.

“I never influenced him in any way. This is what he decided to do,” Frank said.”It makes me proud to know that he is guarding our country while we are sleeping.”

Ellie