PDA

View Full Version : Head up, eyes on future

thedrifter
01-23-06, 06:55 AM
Posted on Mon, Jan. 23, 2006
Instructors, young cadets laud benefits of Junior ROTC
Head up, eyes on future
Hundreds attending Akron, area high schools take part in growing national program
By Jim Carney
Beacon Journal staff writer

Crystal Williams stood at attention in the Marine Junior ROTC room at Akron East High School early one morning in January during an inspection.

The 16-year-old, wearing a Marine uniform, didn't know it, but retired Marine Sgt. Maj. George Anger was about to promote her.

Anger, an East High graduate and a Vietnam veteran who retired from the Marines with 26 years' service, walked up to the cadet in the JROTC program and informed her she was being promoted from corporal to sergeant.

Crystal is part of a class of 115 cadets at the East High School program and one of hundreds in the Akron area taking high school JROTC courses, a growing program across the country.

East High is one of just three schools in the state of Ohio with Marine JROTC programs, Anger said.

``I thought I would try this, and I like it,'' said Crystal, a junior.

She plans to go to college after high school and is thinking about becoming an officer in the military.

In Akron, along with the Marine program at East, there is a Navy JROTC program at Garfield, an Air Force program at Buchtel, and an Army program at Central-Hower. After Central-Hower closes this year, its program will move to Kenmore next school year.

The Air Force JROTC program at Portage Lakes, in its 20th year, will move to Green High School next school year.

In Stark County, Timken High School has an Army JROTC program.

Students learn about their particular branch of the military, take part in drills and physical fitness and learn discipline, responsibility and other skills, said high school ROTC instructors.

Students who successfully complete two or three years of high school ROTC are eligible to enter the military at an advanced rank of E-2 or E-3, said Department of Defense spokeswoman Air Force Lt. Col. Ellen Krenke.

While JROTC programs are not a recruiting tool, Krenke said, ``about 45 percent of high school graduates with more than two years' participation in the program end up with some military affiliation.''

Thousands sign up

And JROTC programs are popular, she said.

There is a waiting list of 700 schools across the country that wish to start a program, she said.

About 530,000 high school students take part in programs in 3,359 schools around the country, she said. Ten years ago there were only 2,400 schools with JROTC programs, she said.

The Department of Defense fiscal 2005 budget for JROTC is $307 million.

A school that is awarded a JROTC program must keep at least 100 students or 10 percent of the student body enrolled in JROTC, whichever is less, Krenke said.

Krenke said the federal government pays up to 50 percent of the cost of the program in schools and the schools pay the rest; the government may contribute more if the school is in an economically deprived area.

In Akron, where there are four JROTC units, the school district's portion of the cost of the program is about $440,000, said spokeswoman Leah Mercer.

Developing skills

Retired Air Force Lt. Col. Mark Hulsey, at the Portage Lakes Career Center, said the program's goal is to make better citizens.

One of his students, 17-year-old Jen McCullough, a junior at Manchester High School, plans to sign up for the Ohio Army National Guard in an early entry program before graduating from high school; she will study helicopter mechanics.

Another student, Steve Barry, a 17-year-old junior and the cadet captain at Green High School, ultimately wants to become a pilot in the military.

Taking part in JROTC, he said, has taught him leadership, responsibility and respect and how to manage his time, he said.

Retired Army 1st Sgt. Robert Addie, who teaches JROTC at Central-Hower, said the program, which was started in 1991, has been the largest in the state with 187 students this year.

Retired Navy Storekeeper 1st Class David Moudry, a naval science instructor at Garfield High School, which has had JROTC since 1966, said, ``Several students tell us this is the only reason they stay in school.''

The main goal of the program, he said, ``is to develop self-discipline and self-control and promote patriotism and develop informed and responsible citizens.''

Retired Air Force Sgt. Rick Westenkirchner of Cleveland has been an aerospace science instructor at Buchtel High School since the program began there in 1993-94.

This year there are 83 students in the program, he said, but next year, with the closing of Central-Hower, more students are expected in the Buchtel program.

Reasons to join

East High School junior cadet 2nd Lt. Quentin Brown said he plans to enlist as a rifleman in the Marine Corps in a delayed entry program this summer.

``I just love the military,'' the 16-year-old said. ``I love my country.''

East cadet Pfc. Andy Henninger joined JROTC this year and said it has helped him.

``I wanted to get in better shape and discipline,'' the 15-year-old said.

Garfield High School cadet Ensign Ashley Marchette, a 17-year-old senior, hopes to go to Kent State University next year to study computer programming and engineering technology. And it is possible, she said, that she might enter the Navy or Army eventually.

Her three years in ROTC programs, she said, has made a difference in her life.

``I've learned self-discipline and respect for others,'' she said. ``I've learned to keep my temper down and to stand up for myself.''
Jim Carney can be reached at 330-996-3576 or jcarney@thebeaconjournal.com

Ellie