PDA

View Full Version : The Charlie Ration Cookbook

Ed Palmer
01-22-06, 09:37 AM
This Might give our troops in the sandbox something to think about for making their chow taste better'
Also I thought it was kind of interesting.

During the Vietnam war Brig. Gen. Walter S. McIlhenny son of the 2nd company president of McIlhenny Company from his experiences with C-Rations as a soldier during WWII came up with the idea to send soldiers copies of the Charley Ration Cookbook filled with recipes for spicing up C-rations with Tabasco Pepper Sauce wrapped around two-ounce bottles of Tabasco Pepper Sauce along with a handful of a P-38 type can openers all in a waterproof canister. What follows will be a copy of the cookbook.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-vetscor/1562565/posts

Ed Palmer
01-29-06, 09:07 AM
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-vetscor/1567177/posts

YOU NEED TO SCROLL DOWN A LITTLE after you click on the url, YOU MIGHT EVEN WANT TO TRY THIS AT HOME

THE UNOFFICAL MRE RECIPE BOOKLET
OR HOW TO HAVE FUN EATIN ON THE RUN

With the demise of the C-rations in the early 1980s and the advent MRES the McIllhenny Company stepped up and produced an updated version of the Charlie Ration Cookbook. In 1984 The Unofficial MRE Recipe Booklet was brought out with the help of the Bettle Bailey crew to help the GIs spice up their rations. So here is "The Unofficial MRE Recipe Booklet" or "How to Have Fun Eatin on the Run"

Old Marine
01-29-06, 11:32 AM
I'll trade my Ham & Mothers for anyone's Beans and weinies (sp). I will never trade my John Wayne opener. I will also trade my Coco and Hard Tack Crackers for what ever you want to trade for. I'll Even give you my 3 pack of Wings along with the Camels and Lucky Strikes. Enjoy!!!!!!!

montana
01-29-06, 11:52 AM
<-----<<<liked the spaghetti and meatballs...pound cake also...but think it was a pound and a half though...coco made good frosting and lubed the throte so the pound cake went down easyer...mmm good stuff

BOOGIEMAN44
01-29-06, 01:08 PM
Ed, I Remember C-rats, Now That Was Field Chow, I Also Remember The Mre's, My Frist Look (taste) At An Mre, We Were On A West Pac. Deployment And Entrenched On A Desert Hill In The Country Of Oman, And Out Of C-rats For A Day And A Half, Out Of Water, And Here Comes A Ch-53 With A Swinging Water Buffalo...empty, Of Course, And A Ch-46 Drops Down And Through's Out A Pallet Of Mre's, We All Looked At Each Other And Said "wtf Are These"??? Now We Have No Water, Still, And Mre's That Are Dehydrated, My Frist Look (tast) At A Mre, Was A Dehydrated Beef Patty, Man I Missed The C-rat.

greensideout
01-29-06, 09:22 PM
C-rats were great! MRE's, now that's a different story. The C's would make you feel like you had a meal but the MRE's were more like pogee bait. I was eating WW-2 C-Rats in the '60's, loved the eggs and ham---no one else did so I got my fill---lol. In the '80's in Panama we had the MRE's. They kind of left you with trying to remember what "real food" tasted like.

hrscowboy
01-30-06, 01:36 AM
i will give my ham and mothers to anyone for there beef and rocks or turkey loaf man i love those 2 C- rates