PDA

View Full Version : The Fewer. The Proud. The Corpsmen.

thedrifter
01-20-06, 02:56 PM
The Fewer. The Proud. The Corpsmen.
MCAGCC
Story by:Lance Cpl. Michael S. Cifuentes

Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, Calif.(Jan. 20, 2006) -- Wherever Marines go, there are corpsmen following, guarding and watching over the wellbeing of the Marine unit. Seaman John Bradley was the corpsman with the notorious 28th Marine Regiment who raised the American flag on Mt. Suribachi during the invasion of Iwo Jima.

There is no question that corpsmen uphold the highest traditions of serving the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps when treating Marines, Sailors and all other casualties of war on the front lines today. Their stories might seem unsung, but it is the Marines who thank them and commend them for their own lives and the lives of their comrades that make their stories travel.

Seaman Patrick E. McWilliams, preventive medical readiness corpsman with Headquarters Battery, 3rd Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, is recognized by the Marines in his battalion as more than the active corpsman who serves alongside the Marines.

“The man has pulled Marines out of a burning humvee that was hit by an improvised explosive device; he has walked in front of enemy fire to save Marines; he has patched up Navy Seabees; he is handy with the tourniquet, he puts all other Marines and Sailors in front of him and he loves his job,” said Cpl. Joshua J. Owens, artillery fire control maintenanceman with Mike Battery, 3/11. Owens served with McWilliams in Operation Iraqi Freedom 2 as they conducted combat operations from Al Asad.

“I respect him because he always looks out for everyone around him,” continued Owens. “And it's unusual for a man to be against insurgents one year, and patching them up the next year when he worked in a detention facility in OIF 3.”

The Navy and Marine Corps even recognized McWilliams as valiant awarding him the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with Combat “V” in 2004.
He received the award for his actions while serving as a corpsman with Lima Battery, 3rd Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 2 from Feb. 22 to July 31, 2004.

McWilliams participated in more than 70 combat missions and was the primary medical caregiver for 41 Marines during that time. He also provided medical assistance to Marines, Sailors, Soldiers and Iraqi civilians who were injured from IEDs, direct fire and indirect fire, according to the award citation.

An example of McWilliams' great initiative was when his sense of duty extended beyond the care of the Marines that he served with. After witnessing a civilian vehicle veer off the road in Al Anbar and flip several times after sustaining a blown tire, McWilliams, exercising sound judgment, quickly moved to the scene and provided medical assistance to the injured passengers.

Before joining the Navy, McWilliams, a 23-year-old San Bernardino, Calif., native, an associate degree from Victor Valley. He joined to leave his commonplace life of being a student and working two jobs to become a service member, he said. His interest was in medicine and in the Marine Corps, so his recruiter informed him of the position as a Navy corpsman.

“After I joined the 'green' side of things, I began to love what I do more and more every day,” said Williams. “It's a great job where I get to play Marine and corpsman. It's the best of both worlds, and the camaraderie is like none other with this battalion.”

During one of these missions, McWilliams was assigned as the corpsman with Lima Battery reconnaissance element and tasked with scouting the road in front of the main convoy.

“This was the time when I saw the most use of myself and other corpsmen during my deployment,” said McWilliams. “The convoys ran into many IEDs and small arms attacks. I saw some horrific and tragic incidents, which shook everyone that I was with. But, I never hesitated to patch up anyone in need of help. I served with some valiant Marines and corpsmen in Iraq. It became second nature for me to follow their valiant lead.”

McWilliams has strived to be the best corpsmen for his unit, he said.

“I've never been hurt or received a Purple Heart, but I excel to be the best corpsman who fixes any man,” McWilliams said. “I was never worried about myself—just my Marines.”

McWilliams wishes he could be serving in Iraq today. He feels the Navy and Marine Corps is better off with him serving alongside his Marines and Sailors, he said.

“It's a good feeling when you get back to the States though,” said McWilliams. “I'm overwhelmed with pleasure when I see a Marine walk up to me and say 'thanks' or 'glad to see you back' when I come home. I know I do my job well.”

Recently, McWilliams has been teaching younger corpsman the knowledge he gained in Iraq. He hopes to implement more medical training with his Marines and corpsmen, such as trauma courses and field exercises.

He is approaching the end of his Navy service in June and looks forward to spending his time dirt biking, catching up on his reading and will continue his education in college.

“Marines have a few good men,” said McWilliams. “Many of them are corpsmen.”

Ellie

Arlene Horton
01-21-06, 03:54 PM
It's always a pleasure to read such great things about "Our Corpsmen". Just knowing they do all they can and then some to help our injured Brothers as well as any unfortunate civilian casualties. They all deserve a big ''OORAH'' as well as a BIGGER THANK YOU!