PDA

View Full Version : Marines visit race car shops

thedrifter
01-19-06, 06:05 PM
Marines visit race car shops
MCAS Cherry Point
Story by Lance Cpl. Angel J. Velasquez

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION CHERRY POINT, N.C. (Jan 6., 2006) -- Twenty-nine Cherry Point Marines were given a day off work to visit professional race shops and experience NASCAR first hand, Jan. 6.

The Marines were given a behind-thescenes tour of the race shop's operations, from building the cars and engines, to the last details for the race day.

"When I first found out about the trip I was excited," said Cpl. Carrie L. Ham, a dispersing clerk at the base finance office. "I’ve been a life long NASCAR fan."

The first stop was the Team Rensi Race Shop lobby, where the Marine Corps race car was put on display. There, the Marines were greeted by Rob Winchester, the race shop vice president, and Ashton Lewis Jr., the Marine race car driver.

"The car was awesome," said Lance Cpl. Jonathan J.M. Decook, a dispersing clerk at the Air Station finance office. "I didn't know there was anything like that out there."

After everyone took pictures of the Marine car, Winchester continued the tour, explaining how the cars were built and the functions of specific parts.

"It was interesting to see all the hard work they put into the cars," said Warrant Officer Jason Thornton, the deputy finance officer at the base finance office.

Also, Winchester gave everyone the opportunity to see the racing simulator car, which drivers practice in.

"(The simulator) is something you don't get the chance to see or hear much about," said Thornton. "It's a great privilege."

After the tour, the Marines were given the chance to ask Lewis about his experiences.

"I was impressed at the fact that he turned down other cup winning teams to race for the Marine Corps," said Ham.

"He’s a really great guy," said Thornton. "His excitement for the Corps is inspiring."

At lunch time, pizza was provided by PPC racing. While eating, the Marines chatted with race car driver John Andretti. They were then given a tour of PPC racing in which they got the chance to meet race car driver Terry Cook.

After leaving PPC Racing, the Marines visited Dale Earnhardt Inc.

"It’s probably one of the best race shops to go into because of the museum inside," said Thornton.

Inside, there is a museum of many Earnhardt and Earnhardt Jr. commodities, including the cars they raced in and the uniforms they wore. Inside there is also a souvenir shop that sells racing merchandise.

"It was spectacular," said Ham. "I liked how Dale Earnhardt's car display was the focus when you first walk in."

Thornton wanted to plan another trip this year, but because the season is coming up it may be too hectic for the teams, he said.

However, Thornton plans on scheduling another trip close to the same time next year.

Ellie