PDA

View Full Version : Marine, firefighter awarded for service

thedrifter
01-19-06, 08:20 AM
Marine, firefighter awarded for service
2nd Marine Logistics Group
Story by Lance Cpl. Wayne Edmiston

CAMP TAQADDUM, Iraq (Jan. 19, 2006) -- For one Marine, his service off duty distinguishes him in the community. However, he was not even in the United States to receive his recognition due to his further commitment in Iraq.

Staff Sgt. Timothy M. Fraunfelder, the operations center watch chief for 2nd Marine Logistics Group (Forward) was honored by the Onslow County, N.C., Fireman’s Association as “Firefighter of the Year” for 2005 on Jan. 13.

He is currently a member of the Hubert Volunteer Fire Department near Camp Lejeune, N.C., where he is currently stationed.

Fraunfelder began his quest into firefighting at the age of 18 and has been volunteering off and on between his Marine Corps commitments for 14 years.

“I have been around (firefighting) all my life,” the East Aurora, N.Y., native said. “My dad was a volunteer firefighter for 34 years; I always enjoyed being around the fire hall so as soon as I was old enough I joined.”

The fire for his passion of service was further fueled by joining the Marine Corps and noticing the similarities between his duel lives.

“The discipline, camaraderie, physical training and challenges,” are what Fraunfelder says closely links the Corps and firefighting.

Fraunfelder feels these aspects contributed to his success while volunteering more than 25 hours per week with his department outside his time working in the Marines.

“I volunteer my time whenever I am not at work,” Fraunfelder said. “I love being able to help my community in a time of need.”

At his department, Fraunfelder fills a variety of positions.

“At the department I do anything such as fighting fires as an interior firefighter, exterior firefighter, search and rescue and operator of a fire truck,” he said.

The flexibility Fraunfelder shows is also exhibited in his Marine Corps career. Currently, he serves as watch chief but is a motor transportation chief by military occupational specialty.

Whether fighting fires in America or fighting terrorism in Iraq, Fraunfelder’s example of service on and off duty is the selflessness defined by the Corps values that all Marines have of honor, courage and commitment.

Ellie