PDA

View Full Version : Marine keeps tradition of Corps, service

thedrifter
01-17-06, 07:52 AM
Marine keeps tradition of Corps, service
2nd Marine Logistics Group
Story by Lance Cpl. Wayne Edmiston

CAMP TAQADDUM, Iraq (Jan. 15, 2006) -- Many families have traditions that extend for multiple generations. For some families, it may be a holiday event or a religious celebration, but for some it’s the tradition of serving in the United States Marine Corps.

For Cpl. John P. McKay, a refrigeration mechanic with Headquarters and Service Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group (Forward), this tradition has continued for three generations and he is proud of each day of service here in Iraq.

“It’s been a huge family tradition to join the Marine Corps,” the Orlando, Fla., native explained. “My father, grandfather, father-in-law, uncle, they were all in the Marines.”

McKay’s grandfather, Paul Long, served during the Korean War with the 6th Marine Regiment. He graduated recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island in South Carolina exactly 50 years to the date prior to his grandson.

McKay’s father was also a ‘utilities’ Marine. His father, Jeff Netznik, served as a generator mechanic with 2nd Combat Service Support Group, the predecessor of 2nd MLG.

“My father served on [Camp] Lejeune before I was born and in the same unit,” McKay said. “I think it’s pretty cool we have that in common.”

Being a part of a gigantic brotherhood is McKay’s favorite part of being a Marine.

“I love how you can just sit down with an 80-year-old former Marine and strike up a conversation about the Corps and talk for hours,” McKay explained. “In the Marine Corps it is our responsibility to pick up where every former Marine left off.”

Also, being a Marine gave him a special bond with his grandfather, and enabling the two the ability to swap stories; Marine to Marine.

“When I was growing up during [Operation] Desert Storm, I was always curious and asking my grandfather what it was like to be in a conflict. He would never tell me,” McKay said. “When
I graduated boot camp it was like the flood gates opened. We had a connection we never had before.”

Helping Iraq build a free society is something that McKay is also very proud of alongside his family heritage.

“It’s great knowing my efforts are contributing to a piece of history,” McKay said. “It’s awesome knowing you are giving freedom to a country that is so blind to the concept of it.”

McKay often thinks about his future, considering his accomplishments and the lessons learned from his time in the Marine Corps.

“Whether I stay in for 32 years or eight years, I got everything and more from the Marine Corps,” McKay explained.

He also looks to his wife Tracie and his son Jacob, 1, for constant support, while he is away.

“I can’t wait to get back and see them,” McKay said. “I have another one on the way, and I want to [get] back to see [him] born.”

McKay’s family is just one example of service that extends as deep into the history of the Marine Corps like the roots of a large tree, and it’s those roots that serve as an inspiration for McKay to this day as he continues the fight in the Global War on Terror.

Ellie