View Full Version : Display designer in spotlight

thedrifter
01-16-06, 06:17 AM
Monday, January 16, 2006
Display designer in spotlight
Christmas spectacular brings national attention and opportunities
By Jessica Brown
Enquirer staff writer

DEERFIELD TWP. - Everyone seems to want a piece of Carson Williams.

First, the Deerfield Township man's computerized Christmas light display became an Internet sensation.

Then his house was featured in a Miller Lite beer commercial.

He's been featured on national talk shows and fielded more telephone calls than he can count.

Traffic gridlock in his subdivision caused by the light display forced him to shut it down weeks before Christmas.

Just as Williams was preparing to take a break, a new phase of fame developed.

Several big organizations - including the Cincinnati Zoo - have courted the computer engineer to set up Christmas displays for them this year.

Williams admits it's gotten a little crazy.

But the 40-year-old husband and father of two insists he's still having fun. "I have a laid-back approach to it," he said. "I'm taking it in stride."

Williams spent about two months stringing 25,000 lights on his Winding Creek Court home and yard, then used software to synchronize them to 12 minutes of Christmas music, including an energetic piece by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Williams transmitted the music from his computer to an FM radio frequency that passers-by could pick up on their car radios.

Williams posted his 2004 display on the Internet last February, and it spread across the country and into Europe.

Since Dec. 1, Williams has been featured on the "Today Show," "Inside Edition," "CBS Evening News," and several radio shows. "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" even played the Internet clip.

"It's a hard thing to comprehend," Williams said.

His wife, Sherry, and daughters, Amanda and Brittney, have had a ball.

"My wife loves it. The lack of privacy is kind of annoying but the popularity is great," Williams said. "My daughter came up and said, 'I saw our house three times in school.' "

Since Williams shut down the display Dec. 6, the calls have dwindled.

Mostly, they're from businesses.

Williams is being courted by a motor speedway, a major retailer who develops shopping malls, a shopping mall in Guam that does a small show and wants Williams' advice, the zoo and another "major park in town."

"They've all wanted Christmas displays," Williams said. "A few of them want the big Internet display, and others want me to do something custom for them."

Williams won't give names or details about the requests.

The zoo confirmed it would like to bring Williams' show to its Festival of Lights next year.

"We've had dancing waters and laser shows over the lake, a magic castle at the lake, ice carvers and puppet shows," said zoo spokesman Chad Yelton. "We have a long history of bringing in new entertainment. His would rank right up there as one of the best shows."

Williams is tickled at the interest.

"From a creative point of view, it's nice that people appreciate the work I've done," he said. "It'd be nice to be able to do it full time, but I still need a job."

His employer, Cincinnati Bell Technology Solutions, has been receptive to the time constraints on Williams' life. "As long as I get my work done," he said.

As for the big question: Will the show be back next year?

Williams said yes, but not at his house.

"I'm looking to put my display somewhere else and point people there," he said. "I'm not done doing it, I'm just done doing it here."

E-mail jlbrown@enquirer.com

Ellie