PDA

View Full Version : Care Packages to Marines & Navy in Iraq

dupham
01-15-06, 11:37 AM
As a prior Marine I remember how wonderful it was to receive a care package when I was on Overseas assignments. I was wondering where to get information on rules and ideas for care packages to those deployed in Iraq or Kuwait today. Any help is appreciated. Semper Fi.:qmark:

ringoffire
01-15-06, 01:20 PM
Here's a small list:
anysoldier.com, has lots of info as to where & what to send.
operationmilitarypride.org
soldiersangels.com
uswardogs.org
woundedwarriors.org

Most of the above sites have lists as to what you can send, so you can opt to make up your own package or do a prepacked package, which you would purchase on the site.
Hope this helps

dupham
01-16-06, 08:47 PM
Thanks that information was very helpful.

Osotogary
01-16-06, 09:38 PM
Dupham-
I don't know if the below information will be helpful but it could be. Ringoffire's list of website links is a good one. You are off to a good start.
Good luck to you.

1) MotoMail enables deployed Marines to receive letters within 24 hours. All family and friends need to do is log onto www.MotoMail.us, register for an account, type what is asked and send it.

2) For those who are interested, the US Postal Service has FREE shipping supply kits available for military spouses and family members. It's named CARE KIT 4

The kit contains the following:
5- 7"x7"x6" boxes
5- 12"x12"x8" boxes
1- Roll of tape
15- Customs forms
10- Address labels
5- TYBEK bags (waterproof and non tear)
Just call 1-800-610-8734 and press 1 for English then 0 for Customer Service. Ask for CARE KIT 4.

UPDATE-
I just gave it a whirl and I received my Care Kit 4 in a few days. (You will be asked your name and address and zip code).

ringoffire
01-17-06, 07:42 AM
Osotogary-Thats a pretty good deal, I didn't know they had a CARE KIT 4. Very nice, I'll be passing that info along.

In case you only need the boxes:
You can also get the flat rate boxes in both sizes (see above post), by calling the USPS or by going on line. It's free and you get 25 boxes in bulk, either size, your choice, or both sizes--25 of each size.

I would just pick up 5-8 customs forms when I was at the PO and/or mailing center.

jryanjack
01-17-06, 09:24 AM
Sgt Grit also has an "Adopt a Marine" package that you can sent to a deployed Marine. They have 3 different levels of packages so you can kind of take your pick. Only downside that I've experienced with it, is that they don't share the name of the Marine that they're sending it to, but they do enclose your contact information so that the Marine knows who sent it. I sent one during the holidays and have not heard anything from the Marine I sent it to, hope that it got there! But knowing Sgt Grit I'm sure that it did, just not sure when given the overseas mailing!

The web site for Sgt Grit is www.grunt.com