cadetat6
01-14-06, 04:37 AM
Hi, Try this

http://www.thestatenislandboys.com/U_thrill_me/

papa Art

lovdog
01-16-06, 09:18 PM
Cadetat6:
You bet your booties I do!! All of it, like it were yesterday. Long Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy, Commano Cody, Sky King, Buffalo Bob. And remember the music??? That was a great time to grow up - life was so simple then. Heck, I was so busy you didn't have time to get bored. But, it sure was something on a Saturday night to go out & just do "nothing" - just stand around with your buddies, everyone jacking their jaws about anything & nothing in particular. You avoided your house after you did your chores and the only time you watched tv was from 7 to 11 on Saturday. Only had 3 channels.
I didn't even realize back then that we were poor!! Cause some of your buddies were always worse off than you were!! None of us had any money - allowance - what was that?? If you wanted some money you picked up soda bottles along side the road & at the dump - a penny for the small ones & a nickel for the quarts!! All of the food you ate was on the fly - everyone had gardens & fruit trees and you could peel off a birch limb & chew on that to quench your hunger til the end of the day!! You swam in a sulphur creek - water polluted by mine acid that no living creature or plant could survive in but it was like an olympic pool to a kid!!! You swang on vines from trees, had BB gun and slingshot battles!! And the most popular kid in school was the one that had a "red rubber" inner tube that he would share with everyone cause they made the best slingshot!! You were polite to all females because thats what you were taught. You never - ever squealed on anyone except your siblings!! Dads in those days were big rugged coal miners who were pretty strict, had hands of steel, and always had the right answers. Moms worked from sunup to darkness - never complained much, usually gave you a crack over the side of the head to prove her point, and then would give you a hug!! Had an outhouse - used newspaper or magazines to wipe your butt, didn't look forward to having to go out in -30 degree temperature if you developed the "scoots" though!! Your water would always freeze up in the winter and you had to carry water from the spring. You took 1 bath a week - I was always next to last in line in the family of 6. You picked coal from a "rock dump" refuse pile to make it thru another winter.
It wasn't unusual to walk to school a mile to catch the bus - pants frozen and having to set on the radiator at school til lunch to thaw out!! Had 2 pair of bluejeans - when you wore one - one was in the wash. All of your pants had patches on the knees and your shoes were "clodhoppers" and the lucky guys had "cleats" on the heels - which, if you got a running start at school, could go about 50 feet skating on the tile floor - leaving a large black mark - if you got caught - it was about 20 cracks from the prinicpal with an oak paddle that had holes drilled in it to cut down the wind resistance!!! When the soles came off your shoes you got a piece of wire and wired them back on til you could afford a new pair.
What was so good again about the good ol' days - I forget???
Take care!!

cadetat6
01-17-06, 04:13 AM
Lovdog,
Those were the day's. I was born in Butler ,Pa. but ended up in Detroit. Had 3 sisters and 2 brothers. one sister worked for Woolworth and next door was a Kresge dime store another sister worked. My first job was sitting in store window just putting game puzzels together for one dollar. I bought rubber sole that you would glue to bottom of my shoes.

cadetat6

gonzo7679
02-11-06, 02:34 PM
Outstanding,awesome, great site Cadetat6.I remember wanting to grow up and hurry life along,now I wished I could bring them days back and never leave. If we only knew then how much those days we would want back now.I remeber our very 1st B &W TV,sunday nite Ed Sullivan show,Aaahhhh yes, THOSE WERE THE DAYS !!!!

cadetat6
02-11-06, 02:54 PM
A few of us put this together...MEMORIES <br />
<br />
<br />
Memories WW2 Ice man, put in front window sign with 25 lbs, 50 lbs, 75 lbs, 100 lbs He would bring that amount to back porch ,put it in “ice box” Milk on...

Ed Palmer
02-11-06, 04:26 PM
Buck Rodgers and the Shadows Knows
what do you mean do I remember

Sgt0811
02-11-06, 05:50 PM
:banana: I remember all that stuff to. Once had a real close encounter with the wringer on a washer, all the way to my shoulder. Man that hurt. My favorite cowboy was Roy Rogers. Met him once as well as The Lone Ranger and Wyatt Eyrp (sp) played by Hugh O'Brien, a Marine.

cadetat6
02-11-06, 07:07 PM
I seen Lone Ranger on stage with his horse Silver Michigan Theater
How about Bob Steel, Ken Maynard,Tom Mix, Jack Ritters father Tex Ritter

BOOGIEMAN44
02-11-06, 07:47 PM
Oh My Goodness, I Do Remember Those Days, Thanks For The Trip Down Memory Lane Cadetat6, I May Be Only 42, But Those Were The Days, I Wish We Could Yell Do Over Now-a-days, And Get Away With It, I Have A Cousin Thay Lives In Novi, Mi. I Am From Adrian, Mi., Thanks For The Trip.

BigPhil
02-11-06, 11:16 PM
I sure remember those day's, was born a couple of miles from Queen, Pa. used to walk home from school and Kate Smith would be singing on the Tv. We raised our on vegetables and animales for food, cut wood for the cook stove and furnace. Yes those were the days.
Semper Fi
BigPhil

cadetat6
02-12-06, 03:44 AM
BigPhil,
I was born in Butler,Pa. Where the first JEEP was made and accepted by the Army but they only had 1500 employed. Not enough to produce thousands of JEEPs

cadetat6 Art

redneck13
02-25-06, 05:14 PM
I sure did enjoy everyone telling their stories about when I also grew up, those so called good ol' day's.
I remember so much that ya'll have talked about here. I would give just about anything to have those days are "nowaday's" We never locked our house, car. I remember the outhouse, last yr's sears 'n roebuck cat. I alway's used the women's section. heehee. I looked at the undie's then did my thing. haha. Anybody else do that? You're lieing if you won't admit it. haha LOL.
If I wanted $$? I worked for it. Mowing lawns, re-surfacing gym floor's, (hired help), painted gym floor's, helped a carpenter build counter tops, cabinet's.
Worked at an IGA bagging-stockin' grocery shelve's, cuttin' meat, supervised of course. Pumped gas when it was 15-19c a gallon for regular, 20c for "ethol." (high test) Walked mile after mile of hoeing corn out of beans. Bailed hay, oats, showed dairy cow's in many different state fairs, even got four or five blue ribbon's for Jersy Bull's. (mean sumbeaches) Castrated lil' pig's, big pigs I help butcher, in pot's, ate the "mountain oyster's" UMMMM Good. Plowed farm ground after school, scooped corn from a crib onto a conveyor belt to be shelled, even at night, 20 below zero. Sheered, caught sheep, packed the wool in a big "Tote" bag/sack. Where I first began to dip and chew t-baccer, cuz u couldn't "smoke" in the barns. Some of the best viddle's a man could get, them midwest farmer's would lay out a spread fer ya. Sheered and caught sheep for a long time. MAny states. Sheered with the Int'l champion, 15yrs in a row he won.
Had two pair of jeans, some rubber boot's. When I made enuf money? I asked my Mom to take me to a western store. I was a cowboy at heart. I got my first pair of boot's, western shirt, new jean's, belt and buckle. My first fishin' rod'n reel came from "Ben Franklin" stores, about 4-6 bucks. I never slowed down my Momma has tolt me. I also was a golf caddie for a banker. Loved the game, pay wasn't very good. You know banker's, tight as a 8 day clock!! Kid's made fun of the way I dressed. I didn't care, it was me.
Never had a tv till I was in the 3rd grade. Wasn't the first time I seen tv., as my Grandma had one. I love lucy, the talkin' horse dude, Ed Sullivan, Jackie Gleason, Combat, Bonanza, all of these later. I remember the first soap I ever seen, "The guiding light." The cop show "Dragnet", the actor who played the First Marine DI show, then the infamous Col/Potter Character on Mash. (Got a bit of CRS LOL) Time? Nobody was ever in a hurry, 'cept for Church. I got "Shotgun" one of us 6 would yell out, of course in the back seat. Dad's smoke would 'bout choke us. LOL. Yeah, we had a garden. I hated pullin' weed's, using that big wheel plowing, push and shove man power machine. The ol' roller muliti-blade push mower, with a roller. Raking leaves, now I'd get a bit of money from Mom fer that. Remembering going to see Abbott and Costello, Francis the talkin' mule, on Sat's. matinee. Cain't remember how much it cost, I know it weren't much. Dad worked, My Mother did for awhile till she started havin' more kids. If life was like that now? It sure would be a nice thing. SF to all.

OLE SARG
02-25-06, 10:06 PM
Wouldn't it be great to go back to those "GOOD OLE DAYS"? Sure wish we could.
AND we call what we got now "Progress"?????

SEMPER FI,

cadetat6
02-26-06, 05:30 AM
Remember When??
The older coots will remember. A gem from Longhorn Fan Zone:
------------------------------------------------

Stroll with me...close your eyes...and go back before the internet...before bombings, aids, herpes, before semiautomatics and crack...before SEGA or Super Nintendo...way back!

I'm talking about sitting on the curb, sitting on the steps...about malt shops, hide-and-go-seek, Simon says and red-light-green-light. Lunch boxes with a thermos...chocolate milk, going home for lunch, penny candy from the store, hopscotch, butterscotch, skates with keys, jacks and Cracker Jacks, hula hoops and sunflower seeds, wax lips and mustaches, Mary Jane's, saddle shoes and Coke bottles with the names of cities on the bottom.

Remember when it took five minutes for the TV to warm up. When nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids arrived home from school.

When nobody owned a purebred dog. When a quarter was a decent allowance. When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.

When your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces. When all of your teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels. Remember running through the sprinkler, circle pins, Bobby pins, Mickey Mouse Club, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Kookla, Fran and Ollie, Dick Clark's American Bandstand...all in black and white and your Mom made you turn it off when a storm came.

When around the corner seemed far away and going downtown seemed like going somewhere. Climbing trees, making forts, lemonade stands, cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, staring at clouds, jumping on the bed, pillow fights, ribbon candy, angel hair on the Christmas tree, white gloves, walking to the movie theater, running till you were out of breath, your first haircut, laughing so hard that you stomach hurt...remember that?

Not stepping on a crack or you'd break your mother's back, paper chains at Christmas, silhouettes of Lincoln and Washington, the smells of school, of past and "Evening in Paris" perfume.

When you got your windshield cleaned, oiled checked and gas pumped without asking-all for free-every time. You didn't pay for air and you got trading stamps to boot. When laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box.

When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner to a real restaurant with your parents. When the worst thing you could do at school was flunk a test or chew gum. The prom was in the gym or the lunch room and you danced to a real orchestra. When they threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed -- and they did it.

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home. Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was so much greater than the threat.

Remember when people went steady; and girls wore a class ring with an inch of wrapped adhesive tape so it would fit their finger. When no one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the car and house doors were never locked.

Remember playing baseball with no adults needing to enforce the rules of the game. And, with all our progress, don't you wish, that just once you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace...and share it with the children of today?

Remember The Lone Ranger and Tonto, The Shadow Knows, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Trigger and Buttermilk...As well as the sound of a real mower on Saturday morning, and summers filled with bike rides, baseball games, bowling, visits to the pool...and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar from the palm of you hand.

There, didn't that feel good? Just to lean back and say: "Yeah, I remember"

cadetat6 Art

Old Marine
02-26-06, 09:15 AM
Captain Midnight and his secret decoder ring and laying in front of the radio trying to decipher the code for that day. Green Hornet and Cato his faithful companion. The Edsel, the Frazier, The Kaiser with pop out front windows. The Rambler, the Tucker which was way to advanced for its time. The 1953 & 1954 Indy 500 when Billy Vukovich dominated both races.

MillRatUSMC
02-26-06, 04:13 PM
I remember a great number of these things but than I'm older than dirt...

cadetat6
02-27-06, 05:02 AM
Oh My Goodness, I Do Remember Those Days, Thanks For The Trip Down Memory Lane Cadetat6, I May Be Only 42, But Those Were The Days, I Wish We Could Yell Do Over Now-a-days, And Get Away With It, I Have A Cousin Thay Lives In Novi, Mi. I Am From Adrian, Mi., Thanks For The Trip.

I am WW2 veteran. Did you ever read my post "Crossing Equader ,1944". It was a diary of my brother-in-law ,LT. Virgil Terry who went through Marine initiation crossing Equader in 1944?

cadetat6 Art a long ago air man

Dan_Mills
02-28-06, 09:19 PM
cadetat6,
Speaking of Tex Ridder, after WWII, when Texas City, TX blew up in 1946, my Grand father, father and the rest of us went there to help with the re-build (And to make a arm load of money for back then) Somewhere or other my Dad hooked up with Tex Ridder and for years there after he would just kind of show up from time to time and throw back a few with the old man...we didn't thaink anything about it; no big deal.

price1391
03-02-06, 01:36 PM
Bulk Fuel Association Re-union coming up on May
5,6,&7.Lodging is available at Beautiful Mountain
Cabins at Pigeon Forge tn.Friday night Dinner and a Show at the Black Bear Jamboree,catered breakfast on Saturday and Sunday,Re-union meeting and
Catered Dinner at The Tennessee Aviation Museum on
Satureday Evening.If you currently or have ever held
the MOS of 1390 or 1391 please contact us.
865-908-1042 or price9@bellsouth.net
Semper Fi
Paul Rice

Osotogary
03-02-06, 02:08 PM
I'm here to say, as living proof, that the "X-Ray" glasses that were advertised on the of back comic books that can make the wearer see through anything, yes, even womens garments (though not advertised as such) do not, I say do not work! The pucker up gum did work. What ever happened to Boston Blackie and the monday, wednesday and friday night fights? Man, I loved listening to Rocky Marciano's fight over the radio.

cohoskip
03-15-06, 03:08 PM
Ah yes, I remember it all. But when I was in High school, the most wanted car was a 1942 Mercury convertible -= the last one in production. 1957 Chevs were a few years down the road. No TV then so Howdy Doody had not been invented yet. My favorite cowboy star was Buck Jones. Anyone remember him? I also liked Bob Steele. I didn't care much for Gene Autry or Roy Rogers because I didn't think that real cowboys should be singing or kissin on girls, much less ride around in a Ford V-8...

cadetat6
03-15-06, 03:50 PM
Tom Mix,,,Ken Maynard