PDA

View Full Version : Protective gear keeps Marines safe

thedrifter
01-13-06, 06:49 AM
Protective gear keeps Marines safe
2nd Marine Logistics Group
Story by Lance Cpl. Joel Abshier

CAMP TAQADDUM, Iraq (Jan. 13, 2006) -- When someone jumps from an aircraft thousands of feet above the ground, you never see them without a parachute strapped tightly against their backs. Wearing the proper gear to ensure a safe landing is paramount for skydivers. The same rule applies to service members in Iraq.

On Jan. 6, Marines with Security Detachment, 8th Engineer Support Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group (Forward), came across one of the greatest threats in Iraq, an improvised explosive device.

Four Marines and one sailor were performing a routine patrol mere miles outside the base in an RG-31 Cougar, which is commonly used by Explosive Ordinance Disposal units to assist them in locating and neutralizing IED’s.

“It was like every other time we went through this area,” said Petty Officer 3rd Class Michael T. McRae, a corpsman assigned to 8th ESB. “I was in the back when the driver said to hold on because there was a bump in the road. That bump turned out to be an IED.”

The IED detonated directly under the vehicle; however, because they were driving an RG-31, the blast was pushed outward instead of directly straight up due to the vehicles unique “V –shaped" undercarriage.

“The blast briefly threw the vehicle into the air,” said 1st Lt. Brandon S. Davis, the 8th ESB assistant Security Detachment commander. “Fortunately, everyone survived with few, minor injuries.”

Of the five service members in the vehicle, two received concussions and two others received minor burns.

The Marine who was in the gun turret was injured the worst and received minor burns above his mouth because it was the only exposed area on his entire body.

“The blast entered the cabin area for only a moment,” McRae said. “I felt like I was being burnt to death. Who knows what would have happened if it wasn’t for all the gear I had on.”

Personal protective equipment serves as a barrier between military personnel and many hazards that can be found in Iraq. Whether traveling in a vehicle outside the wire or assisting in an operation off base, Marines and Sailors are required to wear their Interceptor vest with small arms protective inserts, groin and neck protectors, Kevlar helmet, ballistic-proof eyewear, polypropylene neck protector and gloves.

When a skydiver is falling to the Earth at 150 mph, he depends on his parachute to open to guide him safely to the ground. Like skydivers, service members depend on their equipment as well as their vehicles to keep them as safe as possible when traveling outside the wire.

“I have always told my Marines that our PPE gear is made for a reason,” Davis said. “You can never be sure when there is an IED attack. They do not discriminate.”

Ellie