View Full Version : Lanky Teen Driven to Become a Marine

thedrifter
01-12-06, 06:10 AM
Lanky Teen Driven to Become a Marine
Iraq Casualty Known As Patriotic, Serious About the Corps
By Nikita Stewart
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 12, 2006; B03

As a teenager, Kyle W. Brown was always long and lanky -- a little too slight to be a Marine, despite a high school career in the Navy Junior ROTC, said his grandmother, Katheryn Brown.

"They said, 'You're too skinny to be a Marine,' " recalled Brown, 68. "He worked out hard for a year and a half and beefed up."

In July 2002, the Newport News, Va., teenager realized his ambition.

Last Saturday, Lance Cpl. Kyle W. Brown, 22, was fatally shot in the head by a sniper in Anbar province near Fallujah, according to the account his grandmother said Marine Corps officials gave the family. It was his second tour of duty in Iraq.

An official news release from the Department of Defense said Brown was killed "by enemy small arms fire" near Fallujah. Lance Cpl. Brett L. Lundstrom of Stafford was killed in a separate attack in the same area that day, according to the release. A spokesman for the 2nd Marine Division, 1st Lt. Barry Edwards, said that was all the information he had.

Brown and Lundstrom were assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force, based at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Brown was raised in Newport News and lived with his grandmother. He went to Heritage High School. He had a crooked smile and was so mild-mannered that his grandmother called him "Casper."

"You know, like the friendly ghost," she said during a phone interview.

Growing up, he loved ramen noodles, which he called "Roman noodles," and WarHeads sour candy. "They would light your head up. He used to like to slip me one and look at my face," Brown said.

"He was also silly. You know how teenagers can be silly," she said. "He'd come down and sit at the breakfast table in his underwear with those chicken legs. I'd say, 'Hey, put some pants on.' "

But Kyle Brown was serious about the Marines. "He kept his hair cut short," his grandmother said.

When he finally bulked up enough to make the cut and enlist, he said, "How do you like me now? I'm a Marine," Brown recalled.

She said her grandson was unusually patriotic, although he was hesitant about returning to Iraq after he left in September, she said. "First of all, we are Americans. Freedom is not free," she said.

The family hopes to have visitation this weekend in Poquoson, Va., and will have a funeral at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Arlington National Cemetery, Brown said.

Kyle Brown earned several commendations and medals, including the Iraqi Campaign, Global War on Terrorism Service and National Defense Service medals, Edwards said. Brown had been with the 2nd Battalion since February 2003, he said.

Lundstrom, 22, received medals for the Iraqi Campaign, Afghanistan Campaign, Global War on Terrorism Service and National Defense Service. He joined the Marines in January 2003, Edwards said.

His family could not be located for comment.

Ellie