PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of cussing like a sailor

thedrifter
01-11-06, 09:12 AM
Dangers of cussing like a sailor <br />
By Kathleen Parker <br />
Published January 11, 2006 <br />
<br />
Navy Lt. Bryan D. Black, a U.S. Naval Academy faculty member, thought he was just shooting the breeze when he told...

GySgtRet
01-11-06, 09:59 AM
When it is all said and done this Lt will probably not have a career any more. I hope that somebody has complete satisfaction on this. It is so rediculous to have things work this way. The man apologized and that should be the end of it period. Although the Lt Cmdr is only looking out for the junior officer here it won't be worked out that way the male Lt will get the brunt of the judical system even after he made a mends.

Osotogary
01-11-06, 10:37 AM
GySgtRet-
There was a previous thread about this same topic. At that time I mentioned that the Lt should have known better and that he should only recieve a letter of repimand (a warning) and no more. I certainly did not know that he had apologized. I agree with you that this should be the end of it....unless he, once again, becomes careless with his verbage. As you and I both know nowadays, just saying "hello" is prone to pizz someone off. Maybe we should all just keep our mouths shut and just give each other the finger. If everbody does this, who knows, maybe it will be considered a compliment. LOL

thedrifter
01-11-06, 10:42 AM
I agree with you GySgtRet

Woman want equal rights, but that is not the way to do it...

Ellie

ringoffire
01-11-06, 12:22 PM
I agree that after Black apologized that should have been the end of it. He was just shooting the breeze with his buddies. Nothing was said directly to the female.

And maybe he should have known better to speak the way he did.
And maybe females who are in a male dominated (for lack of a better word) shouldn't be so sensitive. Hear me out, for just a sec.

My career path is one that makes me a minority because I am a women. Knowing that, I know I will have to bust my a$$ harder, prove myself better than the dishwasher. I work in a male dominated work place, or did until I moved. Did I hear horrible language-yes. Did I hear dirty jokes-yes. Were there sexual inuendos-yes. Did the guys talk badly about thier wives and exs-yes. Did I do these same things-YES. Was I offended ever-NO. I gave as good as I got.

What if this situation with Lt Black was reversed? What would have happened, if he overheard a bunch of females talking and one was bad mouthing her ex-husband, talking the same trash as him. Would she have gotten in trouble, would it have ended with the apology? Would she have been court-martialed? I wonder.

Yes boys will be boys and girls should be aware of it and not be so sensitive.

GySgtRet
01-11-06, 12:38 PM
ringoffire,

You are dead right on...!!! It is excellent to see the other side of this equation...There are always two sides to every story, and point fo view what is good for the goose is good for the gander and vice versa.

Osotogary
01-11-06, 01:05 PM
ringoffire-
From what I have heard tell is that the literature enscribed on womens' restroom walls far surpasses what any male counterpart could ever hope to scribble or carve on his side of the fence. LOL
Seriously, do unto others as you would have them do unto you etc. is a good standard to go by.
On a side note-
I know of a woman who filed a complaint against a group of men for using inappropriate and offensive language while in her presence although, here's the kicker, she used to describe, in front of them, the physical characteristics of the male she was going with right down to the nitty gritty. All the males were taken to task. Me, I was never taken to task because once I heard her describe "certain attributes" I boogied out of there. Who needs to hear that poop? Call me a prude but I don't need to hear intimate details of sexual encounters from male or female. I thought that stuff was private, at least I was taught that way. Man, I must be getting old.
Jerry just turned thirty five and I am ranting on about inappropriate language.
I'd better skidaddle.

BOOGIEMAN44
01-11-06, 01:27 PM
In My Line Of Work, I See Both Men And Women All Day, I Drive A Truck For A National Carrier, On A Local Bacis, I Do Pick Up And Delivery, ( Also Know As P & D ), When I Get To A Customer That Is A Man, We Mite Sit There And Shoot The Breeze A Min. Or Too, About Any Thing And Every Thing,( I Have Had The Same Customers Now Going On 4 Years) But, When I Get To A Women Customer, I Walk In, Ask Her To Sign Here Please, Print Your Last Name, And Have A Good Day, And Some Times Im Almost Afraid To Say That, You Just Don't Know Sometimes About Women, And To The Women On Leatherneck, I'm Not Trying To Open A Can Of Worms Here, But You Never Know When A Women Will Turn On You, There Fine One Moment, And Tell Them The Sky Is Blue And Bam, Lawsuite, Sexual Harassment. And Thats A Chance I Am Not Willing To Take.

Lorix
01-11-06, 02:06 PM
As a female Marine, I hate how male Marines make sexual comments when we're around, not specifically speaking to us, but obviously loud enough for us to hear. What the Lt. did was not right, he should've never made such comments. Him being an officer, he should set an example, maybe the comment was innocent, but in the presents of a female, it was inappropriate. If he really meant the apology, which I wasn't there so I don't know how that went, that should've been good enough. I don't believe his career should be ruined over it, but based on what the comment was and how it was used, the most he should receive is a reprimand, which he did

Lorix
01-11-06, 02:16 PM
As a female Marine, I hate it when male Marines make sexual comments when I'm around. The Lt.'s comments where unnecessary and inappropriate, and as an officer, he should lead by a positive example, but his comment was totally unacceptable. I don't believe his career should be ruined by it, but there should be some punishment involved to prevent it from happening again. To me, a reprimand is enough, if it was a first incident, I believe a court-martial is a little too far. Let it be as a warning to all you males out there, watch what you say, especially to your fellow service members, your brothers and sisters.

Lorix
01-11-06, 02:20 PM
opps, my computer's screwing up, (it's not me if that's what you're thinking), so, there's my 2 slightly different versions for you, hope you enjoyed them.

ringoffire
01-11-06, 02:28 PM
GySgtRet-Thank you for seeing that point. There is still a double standard in this country between males and females, good or bad it's there. We see it all the time. That was the point I was trying to make and that if your going to play with boys, you can't be so sensitive about certain things.
As far as I'm concerned men can be offended by women who bash them. If you listen to them, men are hateful, disgusting, evil, womenizing, slime under my shoe kinda people. God forbid a man discribes a women that way....whoa....here comes your lawsuit.

Ostogary-The restroom walls, yes I will have to agree with you there. I have read some pretty smutty stuff in the girlsroom. Now I don't go around talking about the "nitty gritty" stuff. But I have been involved in some very detailed stories when it was just the girls.
You proved my point with your story, It was okay for her to say what she said, but not for the guys. So I ask again, what would have happened if one of the guys was offended and spoke up about it?

BOOGIEMAN44-Go ahead open that can....I agree with you, although I think it's sad that it has come to that. I myself talk to everyone, I see things for what they are. I guess it takes alot to offend me, I will say this:
Tis a fine day when I can make the Husband blush.

GySgtRet
01-11-06, 02:35 PM
Ellie,

Now look at what you went and started...!!! I know that you have something to add, come on down ...!!!

outlaw3179
01-11-06, 02:38 PM
Thank God I was an infantryman living in Horno . Never had to worry about offending the sensibilities of a female Marine. We were to busy busting our asses getting ready to go to war than to worry about being politically correct and hurting someones feelings.

Osotogary
01-11-06, 02:40 PM
I think that we forgot about the Lt.
Good practical points of view from one and all. Notice I did not say male or female?

ringoffire
01-11-06, 02:43 PM
Ostogary-

You're so PC...lol

BOOGIEMAN44
01-11-06, 02:50 PM
So I ask again, what would have happened if one of the guys was offended and spoke up about it?

THERE ARE TOO WAY'S TO LOOK AT THIS RINGOFFIRE,

1) IF A MAN SAYS SOMETHING OFFENSIVE TO OR AROUND A WOMEN HE CAN BE THROUGHED OUT OF THE SERVICE...

2) IF A WOMEN SAYS SOMETHING OFFENSIVE TO OR AROUND A MAN...AND HE REPORTS IT, HE WILL BE LAUGHED OUT OF THE SERVICE... :yes:

jgorosco
01-11-06, 03:03 PM
To lorix,
You are saying that Marines should watch what they say around females. So you are asking that a Marine (male) should turn himself into a proper respectful male. Knowing what you were getting into, you want the majority,males, to change how they act, walk, talk, scratch!! I think in the Corps they teach and train you to be disensitized(sp) to war if I am correct. You want to be a WARRIOR "but please watch what you say around me". Enlisted or Officer, shouldn't have to walk on eggshells because there are females in the area but be mindful that there are females that want to prove a point. An apoligy should have been enough, but guess what?!? A female officer wants to prove a point and BURN SOMEONE AT THE STAKE!! Never cared for political correctness. It can svck my, thought I was going to say it. Funny a female probably finished the sentence. So let the backlash begin. I CAN TAKE AN AZZ CHEWIN"

BOOGIEMAN44
01-11-06, 03:23 PM
Ellie,
Look At What You Have Gone And Done, Opened A Case Of Worms And Asked Who Wants Seconds, I Think We Could Discuss This Topic For Ever, And Never Make A Head Way, Until, Men And Women Unite, No Bars Hold, One For All And All For One, Until Then There Will Always Be That One In The Crowd That Takes Offence To What Someone Says, Now Don't Get Me Wrong, There Are Men Out There That Are Rude And Crude And Just Plane Nasty, I Am Not One Of Them, And I Do Try To Watch What I Say Around Women, But If A Women Is With-in Ear Shout And I Am Talking To " The Guy's " ... Hay, What Can I Say...

Ed Palmer
01-11-06, 04:40 PM
opps, my computer's screwing up, (it's not me if that's what you're thinking), so, there's my 2 slightly different versions for you, hope you enjoyed them.
screwing up isnt that a sexual inuendo?

ringoffire
01-11-06, 05:01 PM
BOOGIEMAN44
2) IF A WOMEN SAYS SOMETHING OFFENSIVE TO OR AROUND A MAN...AND HE REPORTS IT, HE WILL BE LAUGHED OUT OF THE SERVICE...

You are right, he would be laughed at, and that's too bad.

thedrifter
01-11-06, 06:32 PM
You know me I always like trouble:D

My opinion...

It was not directed at the person..it was in general talk....
I feel someone needs to get thicker skin...

Ellie

BOOGIEMAN44
01-11-06, 07:07 PM
I feel someone needs to get thicker skin...

AMEN ELLIE...AMEN !!

rb1651
01-11-06, 09:07 PM
Man, this is just wrong as far as I'm concerned. Yes, he did use "inappropriate" language around females, and as an Officer he should be reprimanded. But to lose a career after he said that he was sorry to those that he may offended? No freakin' way!!! If this would have happened when I was in the Corps, and the blue remarks I made in the presence of the opposite sex, I would have probably been stood in front of a firing squad and not even asked if I had a last request.

To all of the female Marines, and spouses or girl friends (Tryin' to be P.C., LOL :D ) thanks for your understanding on this matter...sometimes all members of the military (gender doesn't matter) make remarks when we are talkin' to our bud's that are not P.C., but everyone I've ever served with accept it. (Especially if an apology is offered if the comment was inappropriate in mixed company).

GySgtRet
01-11-06, 09:39 PM
I am not sure that his career is over I am speculating and it doesn't look good. It won't be favrable at all for him. He will be made an example. All of the service academies have had their share of these types of incidents. During the 70s we had what was called human relations were all the Marines a very small group would talk with each other in a structured environment, we had what was called UDL (unit discusion leqaders). We could address each other by first names. This was very uncomfortable for many Marines as we were mixed enlisted and officer snco and non rates. It was what I call sensitivity training I am not sure what it was supposted to accomplish for sure? It did not last very long. Jump ahead to tailhook. This was a part of the aviation comnunity for a long time and that got blown out of proportion too. I am sure that the young Lt. was just speaking smack and that is all it was. The peoblem with some people is they have to but in or hear something that they don't need to hear. Then an incident like this happens and well we have seen what happens. I have never been much for being politically correct at all. But when I am in mixed company I do tone it down with due respect. I think that if we all did that maybe things would be a little better.

Just my 2 cents on this and my views, no disrepect for anybody is inteneded.

AH-1
01-11-06, 10:26 PM
Maybe it's just me but when the most powerful man in the free world,(slick willie) has sexual involvement with the least powerful woman,(volunteer intern) in the place of buisness, (Oval Office) and it isn't deemed sexual harassment then we have a problem. This Lt is a far cry from sexual harassment in my opinion, he is guilty of being stupid, and unprofessional but not sexual harassment. The best policy is to treat women like your mother, sister, wife and you will be fine. Well scratch wife, that could get you in trouble!! When a woman says something out of line, be a man and simply state so to her, not the boss. I expect the women to give me the same courtesy. There are gold diggers out there, spot them and stay away. Semper Fi.

hrscowboy
01-11-06, 10:34 PM
I have said it before and well say it again we dont need women in the military field other than office poogies, but for some reason we have women in this world that honestly think they can do the mans job to find out later they cant handle the stress or what goes on. The next thing we have is some one crying sexual harrassment or there offended, Well guess what if you dont want to be offended then dont go in the Military... enuff said...

Osotogary
01-12-06, 07:47 AM
With a few variables/ modifications here and there I think that hrscowboy's statement is pretty much cut and dry. Then we have the matter of male to male sexual harrassment and that's another huge can of worms.

BOOGIEMAN44
01-12-06, 08:38 AM
Then we have the matter of male to male sexual harrassment and that's another huge can of worms.

GARY, THATS A WHOLE CASE OF WORMS...LOL

Osotogary
01-12-06, 08:45 AM
A truck load, a fleet load (no pun intended), a convoy load or just plain...a whole mess of cans I suspect. LOL

yellowwing
01-12-06, 10:52 AM
There must be a hump (pun intended) in a female's service career where they get over such nonsense.

I've served with WM Majors and Sergeants. They were very gung-ho and dedicated Marines. No one ever even thought of saying anything remotely suggestive to them.

Their military bearing and command presence defied anyone to consider them as targets.

AH-1
01-12-06, 11:46 AM
When you get right down to it, how can Buttcrack Mountain, Howard Stern and that ilk spew with imunity, while a lowly LT can't call his ex-wife a b*tch. I mean lets be real here. We hear much worse then that on the news. I am not defending him for his actions, but look at TV, video games. We live in a perverse society, and they attack the little guy. Howard Stern is protected by the 1st amendment, the Lt is not. Maybe I am just talking in circles here, apples Vs oranges, but it make sense to me. If they intend to have a society that has zero offensive behavior, they need to start with hollywierd. I am offended when a celebrety calls the CIC a liar, draft dodger. I am also offended when a US Senator does the same. I am also offended when they portray the heart and sole of American history (cowboy) as gay. As a cowboy myself, redneck or what ever you label me from the midwest I can assure you that homosexuality is not condoned in our ranks. I ask, what would become of a movie titled brokeback cotton field with the same subject line, or Brokeback Cinco de Mayo. I would imagine more lawsuits then you could shake a stick at. So where do we draw a line, if you go after the little guy, why not the real culprit.

I am 100% for prosecuting sexual harassers;

1. A supervisor that demands sexual favors from a subordinate.

2. A person that impedes another at work, blocked doorways etc.

3. Bad evaluations based on failure to give sexual favors.

4. Direct sexual inuendo to a person.

5. Repeatedly Asking a person out after being told no.

6. Following or stalking.

I don't believe that visual looking is harassment if it is done casualy. Ladies, if you wear a low cut top/dress, perfume, makeup, show your legs at my work, or just generally look desirable, I am going to look at you. I am not going to grope you or ask for any favors, I would like to compliment you. That does not mean that I am trying to jump in bed with you. So ladies tell me, after you spent an hour primping and getting ready to look nice at work, how do you feel when someone tells you that you look nice, or takes a double take when you walk by? I can tell you that a lot of your treatment comes from how you carry yourself as a lady. If you sleep with one person at work, the word gets out, you will be depreciated by 50% immediatly. That opens doors to harassment by others who think they have a shot or are jealous. I guess it all comes down to, you will be treated as you treat others. There will always be crude b*st*rds wherever you are, the laws were written to deal with them. Semper Fi.

hrscowboy
01-12-06, 12:58 PM
yup just say good morning darlin one morning and see how much **** that will get you in....

Osotogary
01-12-06, 01:23 PM
Darlin? Try, "Hi, Sweety".
I had the dogs chasing me for what seemed eternity.(It was more like 30 seconds and loud as can be ) Who's your sweety? I'm not your sweety. I've got myself a sweety and he doesn't even call me sweety. You'd better watch your mouth around me etc., etc.
Now this azzchewing was from a woman I had known for at least ten years with never a confrontaion. I meant no harm. Man did I get my sweety handed to me. LOL

AH-1
01-12-06, 01:24 PM
I hear ya, but I wouldn't put the darling on it. It would be more like, Good morning, you look nice today. Even though darling is a common catch phrase of the south, used for as long as the I can remember. People of suberbia and the north don't understand how it is really a good intentioned expression. You just have to know your surroundings, adapt and overcome. No doubt you have to do the two step in todays work place, I agree with you 100% on that. I guess my point was in the last post, if you spend the time making yourself look nice, pretty, attractive, or even seductive expect people to look at you. If you pop off with something off color and you don't know the person 100% and that it is acceptable, well shame on you. I just wish the intent of the law was followed, men are ruined over a off color comment, yet the real culprits are protected by the system.

thedrifter
01-12-06, 01:44 PM
I get called Darlin,Sweety, and I few choice other ones that I should not say...I don't mind so far...

Can't have You all going to my boss, complaining you have virgin ears...;) :D

Ellie

ringoffire
01-12-06, 07:58 PM
Darlin, sweety, sweetie pie, honey, baby, babe, etc. Doesn't bother me, I just hope none of those males were offended...hmmmm....or the females....

Just to clarify...I worked in restarunts, hard to remember all the waitstaffs names. I can't post what I would call them when I was mad at them.

rb1651
01-12-06, 10:00 PM
ringoffire,

you go girl!!! (OOPS, I mean Miss, darn did it again, sorry, I meant Ma'am, shoot, there I go again. I really meant Mrs......etc. LOL)

Thanks for sharin'.

yellowwing
01-12-06, 10:42 PM
I worked in restarunts, hard to remember all the waitstaffs names.
Now that is HARD work. I tried out an 8 hour shift and turned in my apron. I went and got an easier iron worker job. Now those dudes were crazy!

ringoffire
01-13-06, 05:36 AM
rb1651

Call me Ma'am then we have a problem, lol.

ringoffire
01-13-06, 05:43 AM
Yellowing

I worked in the kitchen, oh...my bad, they aren't called waitstaff anymore, they are now called "servers".

Ed Palmer
01-13-06, 08:51 AM
what we have out there is the language police some kid bad mouths a horse and gets arrested for it.

Student escapes prosecution over 'gay horse' remarks
12/01/2006 - 15:09:47

A final-year Oxford University student from Belfast who called a mounted policeman’s horse gay will not be prosecuted, it was announced today.

Police stood by their decision to take Sam Brown (aged 21) to court for making “homophobic comments” after the Crown Prosecution Service today dropped the case.

Mr Brown approached the officer during a night out with friends in Oxford after his final exams, and said: “Excuse me, do you realise your horse is gay?”

Moments later, two Thames Valley Police squad cars appeared in the High Street and Mr Brown was arrested under section five of the Public Order Act for making homophobic remarks.

His remarks were deemed likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

Mr Brown, an English Literature graduate, then at Oxford’s Balliol College, spent the night of May 30 last year in the cells.

He refused to pay an &#163;80 (€117.10) fine, so police took the case to court.

But at Oxford Magisrates’ Court today it emerged the Crown Prosecution Service had chosen to discontinue the case.

Prosecutor Cariad Eveson-Webb said: “The police issued a summons but the CPS have decided they do not wish to proceed.

“In their opinion there is not enough evidence to prove it [Mr Brown’s behaviour] was disorderly.”

Thames Valley Police today defended their decision to take the case to court.

A spokesman said: “We present the case to the CPS and the CPS make the decision to proceed or not.

“He made homophobic comments that were deemed offensive to people passing by.”

He denied the police were heavy-handed, and claimed that Mr Brown was drunk and that he had made repeated comments about the horse being gay, despite requests from the officers to desist.

Matthew Williams (aged 21), a friend of Mr Brown, witnessed events last May.

He said Mr Brown jokingly approached one of two mounted policemen saying: “Excuse me, do you realise your horse is gay?”

Mr Brown then repeated: “Your horse is gay,“ he said.

Mr Williams, a fellow Oxford English Literature graduate, said the officer called for back-up and two squad cars appeared. Mr Brown was then arrested and taken to the station.

“Sam’s comments were said in jest. It was very clear that they were not homophobic,” he added.

Osotogary
01-13-06, 09:07 AM
Whatever happenened to a horse being....happy, flaunting, flashy, harmonious, sweet, refined etc.? That's gay, isn't it? All they had to do was look up the word gay in a Roget's Thesaurus.
I think that the young man being from Belfast (Ireland) may have played into this scenario.

OLE SARG
01-13-06, 11:37 AM
Think what the poor horses that were used in "asswipe mountain" or was it "the big crevasse" or was it "buttcheeks valley", etc., felt like!!!!

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG