PDA

View Full Version : Third Graders Brightening Marines' Holidays

thedrifter
01-11-06, 07:05 AM
Third Graders Brightening Marines' Holidays
January 10th, 2006 @ 2:53pm
Jed Boal Reporting

The holidays were a lonely time for many American troops stationed in Iraq, but simple gifts can make the deployment more bearable. Some young students made a big difference for Marines in the war zone.

This story started as a thoughtful service project, but blossomed into something much more for the students and the Marines, many of whom craved words of encouragement from the US.

The third-graders at Madeleine Choir School created a unique bond with Marines in Iraq.

Alexey Kirkland, Third Grader, Reading Letter: "This is my third deployment in Iraq and this is the first time anyone has sent us anything for Christmas."

In the fall, the class adopted a platoon of 28 Marines.

Rachel Dodge, Third Grade Student, Reading Letter: "It means a lot to me and all the marines here that people out there still care."

The children wrote letters and collected gifts, like hand-held electronics and CD's.

Kim Thronson, Parent: "We asked for small gifts and the kids brought in an enormous amount of gifts; our trucks were loaded to the top."

They sent three large boxes of gifts to San Diego and military transport handled the airlift from there. Last week the students were surprised when they received thank you letters.

Tim Hare-Diggs, Third Grade Student, Reading Letter: "The gifts and support that all of you sent make it a lot more bearable."

Letters from the unit they adopted and many more, about 70 letters in all, so the students started on Valentines.

Tim Hare-Diggs, Third Grade Student: "I would be very scared to be over there with no family, fighting."

The students felt an emotional connection with young soldiers a long way from home. Parents say the students recognized the value of reaching out to the Marines.

Kim Thronson: "We were finishing our Christmas project and they were already looking forward to the Valentines project."

It's a lesson not easily taught or learned in third grade.

Ellie